• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2020 2:24 pm
[OP]
Dec 7, 2019
386 posts
251 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote: I downvote anyone signing their name to every post in a forum.
LoL

Not going to lie. It’s posters like this who fit the profile ;) hehehe
Be the change you want to see.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13641 posts
3694 upvotes
Montréal
If anything, keeping the status quo may discourage more participation in this forum. Just look at my recent 2 threads, one an informative topic about what constitutes a new or old car in an iffy situation and many ppl provided advice to this complicated issue, even someone in the industry, so it wasn't a stupid question w/ a clearcut answer, and another fun thread about how ppl close their car doors, yet I got lots of miserable ppl just downvoting for kicks such that the threads are pretty much majority downvoted. It's a bit annoying and only serves to irritate.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6351 posts
3261 upvotes
Aurora
I'm OK with the current system as I don't care one iota how many downvotes I get. It's not recorded on my profile. Everyone needs to get downvoted to hell on a thread they started at least once - that should cure DV-phobia. I once had a triple digit downvote count on a Hot Deals thread I made. I didn't get struck by lightning from the gods, RFD didn't ban me, didn't suffer bad karma, didn't get sentenced to 7 years of bad luck. It has absolutely NO consequence other than bruise your ego if you let it.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3929 posts
1152 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
i have a better idea, just ignore the up vote or down vote like me. i dont even look twice, let alone once at that
i dont even know why we have that feature, but seriously who actually pays attention to who votes up or down your posts. not me., the world would be a better place if we just turned a blind eye and not paid attention to that stuff and just ignored it. but that now is something we look for and causes lots of anxiety in many posters and they cant sleep at nite cus someone may hve down-voted their thread and they are worried
Hi
[OP]
Dec 7, 2019
386 posts
251 upvotes
Agree that in general I don’t mind. Everyone has a right to point out when they feel a deal doesn’t add value etc.

So sure.

But the point of transparency is the loser types.

For example, people who go to each thread to downvote a poster just because they’re stunted,

It happens, why should they be hidden? They can be jerks, sure, go, but show them up.

Sam
Be the change you want to see.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8327 posts
3772 upvotes
Markham
songanddance wrote: Agree that in general I don’t mind. Everyone has a right to point out when they feel a deal doesn’t add value etc.

So sure.

But the point of transparency is the loser types.

For example, people who go to each thread to downvote a poster just because they’re stunted,

It happens, why should they be hidden? They can be jerks, sure, go, but show them up.

Sam
Yes

I feel current system is protecting certain type behaviour or personality . And by hiding them or behaviour, we just encourage them continue to do so . It's just like police said we cannot tell you criminals name

This is getting worse due to covid. Some people just downvote every face mask thread and mess up the hot deal score system
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2040 posts
331 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
I don't understand why they allow down votes on discussion forum. I asked for help/ I got down vote, It wasn't a stupid question like what is 5+5, something you can obviously find out on your own without the need to create a thread. I wanted suggestions from people in the GTA about the issue I was having. But, all I can see is the negative response of the thumbs down to my thread and guess who will not post asking for help again? I am sure a lot of people feel the same way.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10815 posts
7150 upvotes
GTA, ON
I won't downvote this, but because this topic has come up so many times, I'll facepalm it. :facepalm:

Face With Tears Of Joy
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5132 posts
1935 upvotes
Toronto
Having thought about this more, one thing that might work is just showing "net" upvotes, i.e. if there were 10 upvotes and 4 downvotes, just show +6. That way you don't get people overly focused on the negative (i.e. people being mad that they got 4 downvotes, when they would have been fine with only getting 6 upvotes and zero downvotes).

Also you could cap it at zero (can't go negative). All deals start at zero - freezing cold - and heat up if more people vote them up than do down. Otherwise they just stay at zero, and you don't get the bad feeling about people piling on with downvotes. I don't think downvotes need to be removed, because they're a way for people to honestly show they don't think something is hot - but I don't think they need to be so visible as to draw attention.