Computers & Electronics

PLEASE sticky: How to bypass Bell hub and use your own Router?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2021 11:43 pm
Mar 12, 2018
5 posts
tkyoshi wrote: 1) Leave these connected to HH3000
2) Turn off WiFi completely in the HH3000 if you will not be using it, WPS is just push button security
3) Yes main pod will establish a PPPoE sesson
4) Irrelevant as you will establish PPPoE Passthrough, the HH3000 gateway will not even be able to see your Google Mesh System (it has direct External IP) so there is nothing to DMZ as it is out of scope.
Thanks!

One issue that I've ran into is my Fibe TV receivers no longer connect to the internet. I am assuming that's because I turned DHCP off. Do I need to turn that off?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
804 upvotes
rycase wrote: Thanks!

One issue that I've ran into is my Fibe TV receivers no longer connect to the internet. I am assuming that's because I turned DHCP off. Do I need to turn that off?
Fibe TV leave connected to HH3000 and leave DHCP on. Your router if using PPPoE passthrough will not be seen by the HH3000's DHCP Server.
Dec 19, 2018
2 posts
I've just tried reverting to official Asus firmware. I had the same messages and the internet wouldn't connect. Even after 40 minutes of no fiber activity.
I'm giving up. :(

Thanks!
Jan 10, 2019
1 posts
hi i have a HH3k and i was wondering if i could take the sfp out and put it in for example a Hp Nc523sfp Fiber Optic Card or a Mellanox ConnectX MNPA19-XTR 10GbE Single-Port Ethernet Network Card 671798-001 and run Pf sence and use that instead of the bell hub as i want to be able to use the full 1.5gbit connection by either my main pc or my 2 file servers in which i want to have 10gbit networking between them keep in mind i have only internet nothing else
Mar 25, 2002
635 posts
82 upvotes
Trying the mc220l approach. Anyone give some advice on how to get tv working as well?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1773 posts
91 upvotes
I have my HomeHub 3000 in the garage and wifi speeds are pretty bad. I think I will try the PPPoE passthrough with an Asus RTN66U router to see if some devices will improve. My question is: will the HomeHub3000 also be broadcasting a wifi signal? Based on what I read I think this is correct but I'm hoping someone can confirm. If there are two signals in my house, would the interference be a problem even if they're on different channels?

I'm currently using the HH3000 with wifi pods and the pods themselves are getting poor connections.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2206 posts
1075 upvotes
Saint John
comicbookguy wrote: I have my HomeHub 3000 in the garage and wifi speeds are pretty bad. I think I will try the PPPoE passthrough with an Asus RTN66U router to see if some devices will improve. My question is: will the HomeHub3000 also be broadcasting a wifi signal? Based on what I read I think this is correct but I'm hoping someone can confirm. If there are two signals in my house, would the interference be a problem even if they're on different channels?

I'm currently using the HH3000 with wifi pods and the pods themselves are getting poor connections.
Generally wifi range is very similar between different routers. This is because output power is regulated by the government. Routers vary in processing abilities and features mainly, although some routers do have more problematic/buggy wifi chipsets than others. Your best bet is to relocate the Bell router closer to the centre of your home, or get another router (I'd suggest an AC router than can use the 5GHz band for optimal performance) and use it as a second access point by using a wired ethernet backhaul to the HH3000. If you already have the N66U, you can experiment with replacing the Bell one, but I doubt it will give you the results you're hoping for.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1773 posts
91 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote: Generally wifi range is very similar between different routers. This is because output power is regulated by the government. Routers vary in processing abilities and features mainly, although some routers do have more problematic/buggy wifi chipsets than others. Your best bet is to relocate the Bell router closer to the centre of your home, or get another router (I'd suggest an AC router than can use the 5GHz band for optimal performance) and use it as a second access point by using a wired ethernet backhaul to the HH3000. If you already have the N66U, you can experiment with replacing the Bell one, but I doubt it will give you the results you're hoping for.
I should have added that I'd be able to add the N66U to a more central location than the HomeHub 3000 since I was able to fish an ethernet cable to another room. I am unable to move the HomeHub because the fibre connection to the modem terminates in the garage.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2206 posts
1075 upvotes
Saint John
comicbookguy wrote: I should have added that I'd be able to add the N66U to a more central location than the HomeHub 3000 since I was able to fish an ethernet cable to another room. I am unable to move the HomeHub because the fibre connection to the modem terminates in the garage.
Alright then. That should work well, but obviously you wont be able to get the faster AC connections on clients that connect through the Asus. I'd leave WiFi on on the HH so that devices connecting in rooms that are close to the garage can take advantage of the AC functionality. I have a similar setup myself although I use a TPLink Archer as my second router. I use different SSIDs because I don't trust the APs/clients to hand off properly to the stronger connection. I have four SSIDs in my house: Up, Down, Up5, and Down5 (upstairs, downstairs, 5GHz, 2.4GHz). When setting this up, you just need to assign an appropriate IP to the second router and disable its DHCP server; it's really simple and works well. Normally I keep things on Up5 because it's more central and 5GHz usually gives better speeds, but I like being able to switch settings at times or with specific devices (e.g. the Roku in our bedroom since it's directly above the downstairs Bell router - it's always connected to Down_5).
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1773 posts
91 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote: Alright then. That should work well, but obviously you wont be able to get the faster AC connections on clients that connect through the Asus. I'd leave WiFi on on the HH so that devices connecting in rooms that are close to the garage can take advantage of the AC functionality. I have a similar setup myself although I use a TPLink Archer as my second router. I use different SSIDs because I don't trust the APs/clients to hand off properly to the stronger connection. I have four SSIDs in my house: Up, Down, Up5, and Down5 (upstairs, downstairs, 5GHz, 2.4GHz). When setting this up, you just need to assign an appropriate IP to the second router and disable its DHCP server; it's really simple and works well. Normally I keep things on Up5 because it's more central and 5GHz usually gives better speeds, but I like being able to switch settings at times or with specific devices (e.g. the Roku in our bedroom since it's directly above the downstairs Bell router - it's always connected to Down_5).
Thanks for this, I'll give it a try! Did you just set your HomeHub to only broadcast a 5Ghz signal then?
Jan 23, 2019
2 posts
ON, Canada
Gonad wrote: I plugged in the SFP module from the HH into the EdgeRouter:
How did you connect your fiber cable (SC/APC) to the router (SFP with LC)?
Did you use GPON SFP module?
Apr 21, 2008
370 posts
131 upvotes
Yes, I removed the entire GPON module from the HH and shoved it into the ER....

To remove it you may have to try this:

kvakva wrote: How did you connect your fiber cable (SC/APC) to the router (SFP with LC)?
Did you use GPON SFP module?
Jan 23, 2019
2 posts
ON, Canada
Gonad wrote: Yes, I removed the entire GPON module from the HH and shoved it into the ER....
Ok, I see that HH3000 has SFP module included.
I use Alcatel Optic terminal/modem. it doesn't have SFP module and only SC/APC patch cable is connected.
Jul 27, 2016
2 posts
2 upvotes
Hi all,

I just got the bell home hub 3k and i'm trying to use the bypass method described in this thread to use my asus RT-AC87R.

I've connected the router WAN port to a LAN port on the HH.
Enabled advanced DMZ on the HH and entered in my router MAC address.
Entered the PPoPE login credentials on the router (b1xxxxx and password)

The router says it's connected to the internet but i can't reach any websites or anything. Any advice? I can post my settings page here if it helps?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I disabled advanced DMZ and all seems to be working. Appreciate all the info in this thread
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
2892 posts
904 upvotes
Montreal
Sub
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Jan 8, 2019
4 posts
Halifax
I live in NS and have had bell/aliant fibre forever, recently upgraded to 1gb and have never had pppoe. Is this not normal?

Subscribe to internet and alarm only.

old setup, bell ONT --> palo alto pa200 (no pppoe, no mac spoofing, just worked with vlan35) ended up switching to pfsense (no issues).

new setup, bell fibre direct attached to Ubiquiti Edge Router ER-X-SFP (no pppoe, no mac spoofing, just works with vlan35)
Oct 27, 2012
203 posts
51 upvotes
n1cknam3 wrote: I live in NS and have had bell/aliant fibre forever, recently upgraded to 1gb and have never had pppoe. Is this not normal?

old setup, bell ONT --> palo alto pa200 (no pppoe, no mac spoofing, just worked with vlan35) ended up switching to pfsense (no issues).

new setup, bell fibre direct attached to Ubiquiti Edge Router ER-X-SFP (no pppoe, no mac spoofing, just works with vlan35)
Bell Aliant in Atlantic Canada don't use PPPoE accounts for their service. Just straight DHCP.
Oct 27, 2012
203 posts
51 upvotes
I have the HomeHub 3000 with Bell Aliant 1.5Gbps Service. Upgraded from 500/500 service because it was cheaper, believe it or not.

The scenario I have is the Advance DMZ Feature on the HH3K vs the older ActionTec R1000H / Alacatel ONT setup is, the Advanced DMZ feature causes random sporadic outages for 30-60 seconds at a time. The Regular DMZ feature works fine. No issues with stability, however you are doing Double NAT if you have your own firewall. This was similar behavior that the ActionTec experienced until they fixed it about 1-2 years later.

The issue I have is Bell Aliant must be doing something on the back end. For example.

Connected to the HH3K

1. Speed Test on directly on the HH3K will yield results of 1.38Gbps Down with 950Mbps+ up. No issues.
2. Speed Test directly on my PC Connected to the HH3K will yield. 940Mbps+ Down / 940Mbps+ Up. No issues. Maxes out around 110 MBps with File Transfers. Near Max for 1 Gbps Network Adapters.

Connected to my Fortigate 200E Firewall

1. Speed Test from a PC connected behind my Fortigate connected to the HH3K (Double NAT) - 940Mbps+ Down / 940Mbps+ Up. No issues. Maxes out around 110 MBps with File Transfers.
2. Removing the SFP and Connected it directly to my Fortigate with VLAN 35 Tagging. - Maxes at 500Mbps Down / 940 Mbps+ Up. Download Speed is affected. Upload is not. Running some transfer tests, I can verify that it is maxing out at 500Mbps Down. Getting File Transfer speeds about 60MBps Down. Cloning the MAX Address to match the HH3K yields the same results.

Not sure what Bell Aliant is doing on the back end to restrict the download speed. However, it seems that when the service was first installed, I had to call them because I had the same issue with the HH3K. I was getting only 500Mbps Down and 940Mbps Up. The old profile for my 500Mbps / 500Mbps service was still active. They applied a new profile to my account / modem and I jumped up the the new bandwidth limits.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I don't mine leaving the HH3K in the loop but really would like to use the Advanced DMZ Feature. Regular DMZ seems to be the only viable option until the work out the bugs in the Advanced DMZ Configuration. Given that it has been 2 years already with no progress.

Best Regards
Mar 4, 2019
1 posts
n1cknam3 wrote: I live in NS and have had bell/aliant fibre forever, recently upgraded to 1gb and have never had pppoe. Is this not normal?

do you know how to set it up if you have the TV service and home phone service?

I have been researching this but 99% of the posts I look up are referencing Bell not Bell Aliant and it is confusing me lol
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14900 posts
9288 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys.

I have the HH1000 and it's currently in bridge so my router (r7000) is PPPOE. I cannot for the life of me find out how to remove the bell modem from my network.

I have dsl and I picked up a rj11 to rj45 cable but it doesn't work. If I connect from wall jack to wan port, the router cannot establish a connection. So I'm dsl into the bell modem and ethernet to the router.

Anyone in a similar setup? I've scanned toms hardware, dslreports but I can't seem to find a solution to where the hh1000 is removed.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

randmcnally