• Jul 5th, 2020 4:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16638 posts
5206 upvotes
Toronto

Please suggest a good car tire inflator

I am looking for a car tire inflator that can work on 12 volt (if I need to take it with me) and on AC power in the house.

What do you guys suggest?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4142 posts
2925 upvotes
Montreal
Very very few that can use both 120 and 12v, there are probably 2 or 3 that I've seen so it's comes down to which you can find.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15101 upvotes
MasterMK wrote: Mine is an older design one with dial gauge, I really like it. I think I brought it when it was 40 or 50 percent off.

I can't vouch for digital though, it only get's two star.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp

You can probably find similar one in Amazon.ca
I have the one with the digital gauge and electronics. Not the latest version but probably the first one (after yours) and had been pretty solid for me. It has oddly shut down before but started working again after cooling; I'm not sure if it actually has some sort of thermal protection or what but it's still working years after the only time that happened to me. Thermal protection would actually be a great idea in compressors like this though I don't know if it has it or not, just saying it has shut down before but hasn't actually burned out/failed.

I think the main problem people have with it is they have dinky wiring on their lighter sockets. If you don't have a socket fused at 15A (or more) then you're probably gonna pop the fuse on it. Also people may be trying to run it with their engine off which is similarly stupid.

If you look at compressor reviews on CT they almost all have fairly poor reviews. IMO it's a combination of both the fact that these things are not that reliable in general, and well as user error trying to use them continuously for like 15mins when you really shouldn't run any of these for more than 3-5mins at a time to prevent burnout. As with almost anything at CT definitely wait for a "40% off" or more sale on it.

Even though my lighter sockets in my car work fine with it, I still got one of these from Amazon which allows me to connect it to the battery terminals instead and has a fairly healthy 12ga wire on it:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07K5WC99M/

As for ones you can plug in as well, they are out there as well but tougher to find.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
3980 posts
3201 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just keep a 12V to 120V converter in car. It is very useful and should be in the car anyway. You never know when you might need electricity. I have always kept one in car and found it useful to have. Good ones are around $30-40 just make sure they have a fan to cool them down.

Then buy a decent 120V inflator. 12V converters are normally around 100-150W by memory, so your inflator shouldn't be more than 75W. As long as you can find one for that wattage, this system is superior to having a 12V+120V one.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17807 posts
10350 upvotes
Ottawa
I looked before but didn't find any good ones.

I wanted to get the Dewalt one https://www.dewalt.com/products/storage ... r/dcc020ib but
1) it's expensive ($140+)
2) it doesn't even come with the 120V adapter. You have to buy it separately and it's also expensive. So we're looking at $200 now or thereabouts.
Still looking.

Right now: I have a single 12V one (Viair 70P) and a single 120V one I use at home. It doesn't seem like there is a good way to consolidate the 2.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2028 posts
702 upvotes
Toronto
For the longest time, I used the one that's built into my jump starter. Since I wanted something lighter, so I can use it for my bicycle too, I bought the cheap handheld Ryobi inflator. It's really lightweight and works well with a 4AH battery.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2156 posts
379 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

If you already own cordless tools, would be better off to get a cordless inflator if it's available.
https://toolsvibe.com/best-cordless-tire-inflator/

For the home, you would be much better off with a cheap hot dog compressor ($150 range). They'll inflate tires much faster than a portable compressor & you can use it for other things like dusting off your electronic equipment.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19148 posts
19060 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

If you already own cordless tools, would be better off to get a cordless inflator if it's available.

For the home, you would be much better off with a cheap hot dog compressor ($150 range). They'll inflate tires much faster than a portable compressor & you can use it for other things like dusting off your electronic equipment.
Yup I bought a 8 gallon compressor I think and it inflates tires within seconds. Much better than any 12v inflator. I only keep an electric one in the car for emergencies.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1387 posts
1422 upvotes
ON
I’ve been using this for a while, both for cars and bikes. So far so good.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15101 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Right now: I have a single 12V one (Viair 70P) and a single 120V one I use at home. It doesn't seem like there is a good way to consolidate the 2.
Another thing you can do is, if you have a booster pack, get an adapter that plugs into the booster pins and provides a lighter socket connection (or construct one yourself). Note: it's inadvisable to get one that plugs in to the "12V adapter" style port on boosters since those are typically limited to 2A.

That way you can use a 12V compressor both as wired to a vehicle, and as battery powered. Note that such adapters often do not have any protection against over-discharge of the booster pack, however some do exist with a protection circuit as well. The tricky part is getting one that fits the connection on your booster pack because the exact connectors, spacing, and polarity can vary as I recently discovered.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1214 posts
418 upvotes
BC
I recently got the Ryobi P737D cordless inflator $35 recent price, it runs on a common Ryobi 18V lithium battery, I had a spare battery and AC charger so I could leave everything in the car. I’ve only had it a few weeks and it works OK for topping up pressures, which is all I normally need to do. It has good reviews. Has a digital pressure display so I no longer need to use my old pressure gauge. Not designed for inflating totally empty tires but I guess it would work for that in an emergency, it would take a long time as the compressor will overheat if used more than a few minutes at a time and the battery would likely need to be recharged for a big inflation job.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1054 posts
726 upvotes
GTA
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

Aren’t you suppose to drain them after each use or else it rusts out?
Sep 28, 2012
222 posts
109 upvotes
Mississauga
Try Milwaukee. High quality and durable. It can found in homedepot