• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2023 10:24 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto

Please suggest a HVAC Tech in the east Scarborough/Pickering area

Last night my home furnace is set at 78 but the house temp didn’t get above 75 in the room where the control is. The temp in my bedroom is 70. Outside temp was showing -24.

The home is 30 years old and the furnace is an American Standard high efficiency that is under 5 years old The 5 inch filter was changed in January, and the batteries in the thermostat are new. I don’t feel there is sufficient warm heat coming from the vents and it seemed to be fine up till Friday morning.

Is there a HVAC tech that someone could recommend? This request is for my folks who are seniors, and I hear bad stories of Reliance, and lots of techs who are dishonest or gouging elderly people.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by hightech on Feb 8th, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
36 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
Contact @newlyborn if he is ok with area.
Last edited by teoconca on Feb 4th, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
hightech wrote: I don't see any posts from them. Is there a website?
His name is Ash, he is well known and many RFDers recommend him. PM him, he has a company but of my head, I don’t remember.

Oops, corrected.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
I run a very successful AC group buy here, if you need HVAC work give him a call. Good luck.

RFD AC Group Buy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5958 posts
2745 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
hightech wrote: Last night my home furnace is set at 78 but the house temp didn’t get above 75 in the room where the control is. The temp in my bedroom is 70. Outside temp was showing -24.

The home is 30 years old and the furnace is an American Standard high efficiency that is under 5 years old The 5 inch filter was changed in January, and the batteries in the thermostat are new. I don’t feel there is sufficient warm heat coming from the vents and it seemed to be fine up till Friday morning.

Is there a HVAC tech that someone could recommend? This request is for my folks who are seniors, and I hear bad stories of Reliance, and lots of techs who are dishonest or gouging elderly people.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Quite frankly, they don't actually design HVAC systems to heat homes to that degree. You're attempting to heat the home a fair ways above design temperature on the coldest days of the year. An oversized furnace may be able to bring it up to a higher temperature but then it runs the risk of short cycling and the sensors potentially shutting it down until they've been reset. Can your parents dress more warmly for the couple of days a year when it's unusually cold? Short cycling also takes a toll and will shorten the life of the equipment.

For your bedroom you could have the insulation levels checked in the attic. If it's the furthest room from the furnace then that's an inherent issue of long ducts. Load balancing the ducts might help. If it's a room above the garage, being colder is typical.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
fergy wrote: Quite frankly, they don't actually design HVAC systems to heat homes to that degree. You're attempting to heat the home a fair ways above design temperature on the coldest days of the year. An oversized furnace may be able to bring it up to a higher temperature but then it runs the risk of short cycling and the sensors potentially shutting it down until they've been reset. Can your parents dress more warmly for the couple of days a year when it's unusually cold? Short cycling also takes a toll and will shorten the life of the equipment.

For your bedroom you could have the insulation levels checked in the attic. If it's the furthest room from the furnace then that's an inherent issue of long ducts. Load balancing the ducts might help. If it's a room above the garage, being colder is typical.
Thanks for the information and suggestions. I think wind direction makes a difference as well. North/East winds makes the room colder as it is facing. The temp is fine now and set at 76 degrees with the room around 73 degrees.

We like a cozy house :)
Apr 22, 2008
500 posts
74 upvotes
Ajax, On
Would be interested as well. Is there a HVAC tech that someone could recommend?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Karall wrote: Would be interested as well. Is there a HVAC tech that someone could recommend?
The contact that I received good feedback about is:

@newlyborn
https://fairdealheating.com/
Ash
416-992-2333
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
Would it be a good idea to change your thermostat to display the temperature in Celsius instead of Farenheight?
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
Would it be a good idea to change your thermostat to display the temperature in Celsius instead of Farenheight?
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Would it be a good idea to change your thermostat to display the temperature in Celsius instead of Farenheight?
Folks are old school and everything is in Fahrenheit
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
It totally depends upon which part of the world you belong to as some are used to C while others to F . Its a same comparison as to LBS to KG's.
F can be more precise due to smaller increment but at the end of the day 1/2 degree here or there does not make any difference ( atleast for me). Most thermostats now a days are built only for F. Modern ( expensive ) thermostats can be switched between F and C. Me and my family is used to C, so I never bothered to change it to F
GoodFellaz wrote: Would it be a good idea to change your thermostat to display the temperature in Celsius instead of Farenheight?
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
Welp, this country is Canada and our weather man on tv tells the temperature in Celsius and last I checked so does environment Canada. why do we use farenheight? I am also confused why our ovens have farenheight too
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Welp, this country is Canada and our weather man on tv tells the temperature in Celsius and last I checked so does environment Canada. why do we use farenheight? I am also confused why our ovens have farenheight too
Probably because many devices are American biased and they use Fahrenheit.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
almost everything i own can be switched from F to C. on my tablet, i simply went into the weather app and changed F to C, on my windows i went into the weather wigit and changed F to C, on my thermostat I changed F to C, on my car I changed the outside temp setting from F to C, on my oven it has both i can go into the menu and select which one i want to use, the cooking instructions most of the time have both temperatures on them
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: almost everything i own can be switched from F to C. on my tablet, i simply went into the weather app and changed F to C, on my windows i went into the weather wigit and changed F to C, on my thermostat I changed F to C, on my car I changed the outside temp setting from F to C, on my oven it has both i can go into the menu and select which one i want to use, the cooking instructions most of the time have both temperatures on them
Some people like to use Fahrenheit and you can use whatever you like. The thread is about finding an HVAC tech in my area which was answered and not into a debate of what measuring format to use.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)