Hot Deals

Plex

20% Off Lifetime Plex Pass

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2021 7:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
4049 posts
6711 upvotes
Kitchener

20% Off Lifetime Plex Pass

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Plex
Get the upgrade of a lifetime for 20% off, this week only.
A more premium personal media experience is waiting. Become a Plex Pass member for life and unlock access to exclusive features and benefits. Use code: PLEXLIKEAPRO
PC: i9 9900ks, RTX 3060 Ti 8gb, 96GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Thread Summary
Credit to scienide09:
Lifetime membership = $159.99 - 20% with code = $127.99 (cad) + taxes.

---

Use code: PLEXLIKEAPRO
177 replies
Jr. Member
Jun 24, 2018
129 posts
40 upvotes
Brampton
Plex is shite. I am not even sure the point of it, at this point. Yes the media organization is good but that's about it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 9, 2010
2869 posts
1029 upvotes
Windsor
mystic_dreamer wrote: Plex is shite. I am not even sure the point of it, at this point. Yes the media organization is good but that's about it.
I haven't been able to find anything better. What are you using?
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 16, 2011
4720 posts
6457 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I just need the ability to subs with HDR content. Should I get the pass?
Jr. Member
Jun 24, 2018
129 posts
40 upvotes
Brampton
I'm on synology NAS and use DS Video for streaming and I use media centre master on my NUC based HTPC for the media management. Plex don't do either right - playing the videos seamlessly and media management. I tried plex pass too but then asked for refund in less than 2 weeks. I am glad I did that.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1909 posts
1656 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ChubChub wrote: I haven't been able to find anything better. What are you using?
i use plex but there's alternatives like emby and jellyfin.
Jr. Member
Aug 5, 2016
100 posts
63 upvotes
waterloo
I have tried using it to play my music on a network drive but when I shuffle it will only play about 5% of the music on the drive no matter what I do. If I get a plex pass would that enable the other 95%?
Member
Aug 19, 2011
287 posts
199 upvotes
bubbagumpshrimp2 wrote: I have tried using it to play my music on a network drive but when I shuffle it will only play about 5% of the music on the drive no matter what I do. If I get a plex pass would that enable the other 95%?
This sounds like an issue unrelated to subscription status. I'd pull your logs and post on the official plex forums.
Member
Aug 19, 2011
287 posts
199 upvotes
Plex Pass is highly worth it imo.

At the most basic, you're contributing to the development of the project, but the added features are great as well. I've fully transitioned from Spotify to Plexamp for my music, and the Plex Pass exclusive metadata agents are excellent improvements over the default ones. Offline playback downloads are a nice bonus.

I was a pretty active contributor to the xbmc project back in the day, so apparently I'm supposed to hate Plex, but I ended up being a very happy customer.
Last edited by SupaDawg on Sep 13th, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie
Nov 23, 2011
61 posts
83 upvotes
mystic_dreamer wrote: I'm on synology NAS and use DS Video for streaming and I use media centre master on my NUC based HTPC for the media management. Plex don't do either right - playing the videos seamlessly and media management. I tried plex pass too but then asked for refund in less than 2 weeks. I am glad I did that.
This seems like a much better idea for the average user!

Wait - no, no it doesn't. Plex works great.
Sr. Member
Oct 17, 2010
851 posts
460 upvotes
Edmonton
Unless you are sharing your library with many people and need hardware transcoding, the Plex Pass is a waste of money for most people. Those who have issues with playback more than often don't have their hardware set up properly or don't have the Plex server configured properly. Plex has a client app for many devices but there are ones (like the one on Xbox) that are an absolute bag of shit and kill the experience for the user.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 24, 2008
14945 posts
6127 upvotes
Gatineau
I've had a lifetime plex pass for 5+ years now. Its been invaluable to me. I use it for:

Hardware Transcoding (aka Hardware-Accelerated Streaming):
- I access my plex media server remotely all the time (Mobile phone, in my car -> Tesla Model Y, when I am vacationing abroad), and I have about 20+ family/friends across Canada/U.S./UK who also stream off of my Plex Server

Plex DVR/Live TV
- I pay for an external third party IPTV Service ($10/month) that gives me access to 10,000s of channels across Canada and the world. I have the IPTV Service added to Plex, that Plex treats as a TV Tuner, allowing me to pause, record from any channel (and from any device connected to my plex server).

Plex Mobile Sync
- Whenever I travel abroad, I can easily download media directly to my mobile devices for offline (on flight) viewing. Great for that 11 hour United Airlines flight from Newark to Honolulu (or that 9 hour flight from Chicago to Maui) that I take annually.

djino
Last edited by djino on Sep 13th, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
Feb 7, 2019
49 posts
45 upvotes
Calgary
Is it worth it to get the 20% off now or wait for the upcoming BF deal? Was last year’s BF deal also 20% off?
Jr. Member
Jan 4, 2021
135 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary
Plex transcoding along with their HDR Tone mapping allows me to keep a library of 4K HEVC HDR content that my retired dad in another city and my sister can stream from my unRAID/Plex server. It's the absolute tits and a great alternative to paying $100 a month to the stupid amount of streaming services out there.
Sounds like those who have issues with streaming content doesn't have the right hardware and/or config.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3222 posts
1983 upvotes
SW ON
SupaDawg wrote: and the Plex Pass exclusive metadata agents are excellent improvements over the default ones.
What are these exclusive agents? I don't think they are Plex Pass exclusive but rather available for all.
Member
Nov 9, 2014
322 posts
237 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ChubChub wrote: I haven't been able to find anything better. What are you using?
Jellyfin is great - and free.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3006 posts
1753 upvotes
Mississauga
djino wrote: I've had a lifetime plex pass for 5+ years now. Its been invaluable to me. I use it for:

Hardware Transcoding (aka Hardware-Accelerated Streaming):
- I access my plex media server remotely all the time (Mobile phone, in my car -> Tesla Model Y, when I am vacationing abroad), and I have about 20+ family/friends across Canada/U.S./UK who also stream off of my Plex Server

Plex DVR/Live TV
- I pay for an external third party IPTV Service ($10/month) that gives me access to 10,000s of channels across Canada and the world. I have the IPTV Service added to Plex, that Plex treats as a TV Tuner, allowing me to pause, record from any channel (and from any device connected to my plex server).

Plex Mobile Sync
- Whenever I travel abroad, I can easily download media directly to my mobile devices for offline (on flight) viewing. Great for that 11 hour United Airlines flight from Newark to Honolulu (or that 9 hour flight from Chicago to Maui) that I take annually.

djino
Quick question RE: DVR. Are you using a m3u based service or a MAC address based iptv service.
Sr. Member
Apr 8, 2020
618 posts
794 upvotes
I use emby personally, but use plex for friends and family.

I find zero use of the pass or premiere for emby and plex both. That's a good thing to me, the software on both works perfectly free.

They both have their pros and cons, emby works better for me personally with direct playing where plex wants to transcode, plex is better for ease of use etc. But I like both equally.

For reference, none of my media gets transcoded, everything is direct play. Transcoding is just a waste.
Last edited by Jokerpersona on Sep 13th, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Nov 23, 2004
909 posts
1608 upvotes
Ontario
Does this ever discount any further? Worth waiting for Black Friday or anything?

I'm a Jellyfin die hard myself, but keep a Plex docker container running just to share media with some friends and family in a really easy way (all their TV's have plex apps and they're not technical folks). I wouldn't mind this just for hardware transcoding to ease the load on my home server and internet a bit, but I don't follow Plex enough to know if this is a hot deal or if "hotter" deals will still come?
Jr. Member
Jan 4, 2021
135 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary
redmondflagger wrote: Jellyfin is great - and free.
How's jellyfin for sharing content outside your network? HDR tone mapping? Last time I tried jellyfin it was pretty sketchy and painful requiring port forwarding, dynamic DNS, and no username/password security and email notifications for new logins like Plex. If that's still the case you really can't compare the two.

Top