Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Plex

20% Off Lifetime Plex Pass

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2023 6:11 pm
Jul 1, 2006
597 posts
331 upvotes
GTA
I am going to give it a try @Djino. thanks for sharing the link and thank you for sharing tips.
So far hardest time I had with my unRAID server was setting up nextcloud with only office integration.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2011
2638 posts
1167 upvotes
@djino you know of any way to set up something like a CDN for a plex server instead of actually having multiple servers show up. So if i want to use my offsite backup server as a plex server along with my main one, is it possible to have plex auto chose between servers as they'll be mirrors?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7027 upvotes
Gatineau
nuwan32 wrote: @djino you know of any way to set up something like a CDN for a plex server instead of actually having multiple servers show up. So if i want to use my offsite backup server as a plex server along with my main one, is it possible to have plex auto chose between servers as they'll be mirrors?
Interesting..... hmmm, I've never explored such a setup, so I cannot tell you if its possible or not. You may want to post such a question in Plex's own forums?

djino
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2011
2638 posts
1167 upvotes
djino wrote: Interesting..... hmmm, I've never explored such a setup, so I cannot tell you if its possible or not. You may want to post such a question in Plex's own forums?

djino
Yea will have to. Just thought there might be a plugin or something you know of.
Mar 17, 2017
403 posts
195 upvotes
xbr999 wrote: Got to love the confidently incorrect. As mentioned by djino there is MANY reasons why you need to transcode, just because you aren't aware of the other scenarios or don't use them personally, doesn't mean they don't exist.
I understand but when everyone have a Firestick, you dont need to transcode at all for the video
You can transcode audio but it will not make suffer your server
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2011
2638 posts
1167 upvotes
Bob1321 wrote: I understand but when everyone have a Firestick, you dont need to transcode at all for the video
You can transcode audio but it will not make suffer your server
You do realize that streaming is dependent mainly on internet speed and not the local hardware? different people have varying speeds for their internet. Just because you can stream a 4k video on your LAN doesnt mean you or your friends will be able to do it remotely. They might not even be able to stream 1080p, so yes, transcoding is very useful.
Mar 17, 2017
403 posts
195 upvotes
nuwan32 wrote: You do realize that streaming is dependent mainly on internet speed and not the local hardware? different people have varying speeds for their internet. Just because you can stream a 4k video on your LAN doesnt mean you or your friends will be able to do it remotely. They might not even be able to stream 1080p, so yes, transcoding is very useful.
Yes it useful when the server dont have a good upload speed.
Anyway, no friends or family complain because it was not working
When its direct play, its the perfect situation
Jun 9, 2019
689 posts
1645 upvotes
Have been waiting for a discount all year, thanks!
May 24, 2017
219 posts
283 upvotes
Edmonton, ab
djino wrote: It really isn't that bad and well worth investing your time and learning how to set it up. Yes, its quite the home project, but you'll be happy when you are up and running.

Google or Youtube: sonarr / radarr / prowlarr / overseerr / nzbget (or sabnzbd) / etc. With a usenet / indexer subscription and all of these web apps installed in docker containers on a Synology / Qnap / Unraid NAS, you will be able to cancel most of your digital media (or Cable TV) subscriptions (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+, etc.). You can host and have your own Netflix like experience while saving a ton of money.

djino
I set up my sonarr/radarr/jackett and am pretty new to this, gotta get off my ass and figure out all those other things haha. What usenet/indexer subscription do you use?? I've never messed with that, just normal torrents.
Jan 4, 2021
550 posts
1819 upvotes
Canada
Bob1321 wrote: Yes it useful when the server dont have a good upload speed.
Anyway, no friends or family complain because it was not working
When its direct play, its the perfect situation
Ah great so you're one of the lucky ones that isn't stuck with Shaw's 100Mbps uploads, great. You're also not someone who travels for work or has a long train commute and doesn't have a 1TB data plan to direct stream their content. Your situation is the only situation that applies to everyone in the world, hence "You dont need to ever transcode anything". Why did Plex even bother implementing that feature? Bob1321's needs/situation is the only applicable one in the world! :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7027 upvotes
Gatineau
DrasticK wrote: I set up my sonarr/radarr/jackett and am pretty new to this, gotta get off my ass and figure out all those other things haha. What usenet/indexer subscription do you use?? I've never messed with that, just normal torrents.
Past Independence day promo I obtained a newsdemon usenet subscription for $25 USD which provides 18 months of unlimited access.

I also have a new 2 indexer subscriptions. One with nzbgeek.info in which I paid $30 USD for a lifetime sub 5+ years ago and a drunkenslug indexer sub that I pay $10 USD / year. Have been waiting to get an invite to obtaining a Dognzb indexer subscription to complete my setup :). If someone has one, please send me an invite :).

djino
Nov 6, 2015
326 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djino wrote: My IPTV provider has it yup. There isn't much that my IPTV provider "doesn't have".

I don't watch CP24, so I don't have it in my Plex IPTV Playlist of channels. But I quickly searched for CP24 on my IPTV providers site, grabbed an m3u for just that channel and added it to my Windows VLC Player. I have it running right now on my third monitor as per the screenshots below.

djino
Wow thats awesome! Do you mind sharing who your IPTV provider is and how much it cost?
Mar 17, 2017
403 posts
195 upvotes
xbr999 wrote: Ah great so you're one of the lucky ones that isn't stuck with Shaw's 100Mbps uploads, great. You're also not someone who travels for work or has a long train commute and doesn't have a 1TB data plan to direct stream their content. Your situation is the only situation that applies to everyone in the world, hence "You dont need to ever transcode anything". Why did Plex even bother implementing that feature? Bob1321's needs/situation is the only applicable one in the world! :facepalm:
Just use a remote VPS server like Hetzner, Cotanbo...
Oct 30, 2013
66 posts
41 upvotes
Paxonator wrote: Is there a particular time of year they offer the 75usd deal? Black Friday or Christmas?
It comes around at least once per year, but the timing was random. Make sure you’re subscribed to emails from Plex and you should get the offer eventually.
Jan 14, 2014
123 posts
88 upvotes
My plex pass a few years ago was one of my all time best purchases.

I have a 1 gig up/down fibre connection, and a dedicated server with a new Intel chip with the specialized hardware decoding functions. I can stream multiple users at high quality no problem.
Mar 2, 2015
280 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto, ON
doththouhoistbro wrote: I'd love to know this as well...
It looks like this is the key information from the post.

I would like to know as well =)
Mar 26, 2012
283 posts
409 upvotes
Mississauga
Figures, I just gave up waiting and bought plex lifetime pass in August. Even at full price, the features are worth it imo.
Mar 15, 2005
869 posts
819 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: I have been using PLEX for a very long time now, and I highly recommend it. Ignore all the negative comments on here.
I'm with you except 2 things

1. They recently got rid of the camera upload feature. Having my wife not complain about her phone not run out of space, , while ensuring I have the physical backups of all the kids pictures.. since plex would auto upload her photos to the unraid box ... That feature is sorely missed.

2. It's fixed now but for about a year live tv/ DVR was broken. Yea it sucked when plex live tv died when I had a bunch of friends over during the raptors NBA finals, but not nearly as bad when it failed during one of my wife's Monday night have the girls over to watch batchlorette nights. You haven't experienced frustration until you've experienced 8 ladies who've drunk a bunch of wine complaining they missed who she gave the rose to. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)