Expired Hot Deals

Plex: Life time Plex Pass for US$74.99 - Targetted

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2020 8:47 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2005
1679 posts
310 upvotes
Ajax

Plex: Life time Plex Pass for US$74.99 - Targetted

Price:
74.99
Savings:
50% off
Expiry:
January 21, 2020
Just got this from email.
Life Time Plex pass for US$74.99

Seem like is targeted(redeem a code), so check your inbox / junk mail.
Thread Summary
PLEX IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE! Read before buying!!
22 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 24, 2012
2582 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know what the lowest price was previously?
I recall 99 cad which is similar to this
Newbie
Apr 16, 2014
75 posts
80 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I appreciate Plex, so finally signed up as a lifetime member a while back. I talked with their customer service (either through online chat if it exists or email, don't remember which) to suggest I'd be interested in the Lifetime deal the next time the offered it. A few days later I had a code in my email. Worth trying if you're interested but don't have a code. I'm all over getting a good deal, and I appreciate trying things for free, but when I get good value it is worth paying those who give it to me.
Sr. Member
Jun 11, 2016
790 posts
1103 upvotes
At the moment all my consoles are able to stream my media from the free Plex server (desktop) which suits my needs just fine. I really don't understand the point of paying for Plex unless there's some features am not aware of.

Cheers, KH
Penalty Box
Sep 20, 2019
279 posts
436 upvotes
Plex isn't what it used to be. I jumped on this last year, but lately their updates and patches seem to break more things than they fix.

Basic things like buffering on 1080p, not remembering settings, having to login constantly. The Plex forums are filled with problems and solutions being to constantly roll back.

With the recent lack of corrective updates, I would hesitate to give them more money.

They have also recently started pumping their own content bloated with ads, as the default.

Things like 4k HDR still doesn't work flawlessly in the sense that some files erroneously show up as like 1500mbps even though they are not according to media info, etc, and these cause stuttering/buffering as Plex doesn't know what to do. This issue has been documented, reproduced and get three.months on, no fix.

Think twice before buying.
The one, the only, the original, SIZZLING FRYING PAN HOT DEALS - DEAL GOD!
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 13, 2008
152 posts
78 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: At the moment all my consoles are able to stream my media from the free Plex server (desktop) which suits my needs just fine. I really don't understand the point of paying for Plex unless there's some features am not aware of.

Cheers, KH
There are new features with pass like DVR recording from an HD antenna, detailed statistics for user dashboard and a few more.
Member
Feb 2, 2006
451 posts
252 upvotes
xdeals wrote: There are new features with pass like DVR recording from an HD antenna, detailed statistics for user dashboard and a few more.
GPU transcoding, ability to sync offline
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1960 posts
506 upvotes
Plex is still a great platform for free users...

It's only when you get more reliant on it and need multi-users or clients on multiple platforms, or the enhanced library features, does paying for lifetime access make sense. To be honest, I only bought after using Plex for like 7+ years free and needed an easy way to manage users on multiple platforms so when I got my number called, I jumped on it.

If you're a single user with minimal requirements, there are definitely other free but more complicated options. If you need a simple solution for a complicated setup, plex is pretty good. do your research!

Also, Shared Libraries is very handy once you get a few data-hoarders as friends.
Member
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
208 posts
174 upvotes
MauriceLaFlamme wrote: With the recent lack of corrective updates, I would hesitate to give them more money.
Don't worry -- they don't ask you for anymore money!!! Now you can keep complaining for life about all the new shit they add without charging you extra!!
I've been using plex for several years now, and I've never had anything actually break for me...I presently use every feature, including live tv ota, and even the tidal integration (on the $5 trial).

It all works, and anything you don't like, such as their free movies, or web shows, or podcasts, you just hide it and it never bugs you again. EVER.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 21, 2013
662 posts
317 upvotes
Calgary
bossfn wrote: Don't worry -- they don't ask you for anymore money!!! Now you can keep complaining for life about all the new shit they add without charging you extra!!
I've been using plex for several years now, and I've never had anything actually break for me...I presently use every feature, including live tv ota, and even the tidal integration (on the $5 trial).

It all works, and anything you don't like, such as their free movies, or web shows, or podcasts, you just hide it and it never bugs you again. EVER.
You mean removing shit. Like live TV for non household members and addons.
Jr. Member
Jan 21, 2017
108 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Nothing against using and buying Plex but for true RFD cheapness one can save the 100 bucks and checkout JellyFin, not quite a year old in development but was not that hard to setup and very happy with it. Have been running for my household for 6 months now and am no longer tempted by Plex lifetime deals :D

Also amazing how well the jellyfin to kodi addon integrates the server content with Kodi skins and native interface instead of just being an app.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 16, 2012
660 posts
274 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I got the Plex pass the last time where they only gave it to new users (yes, I ranted hard about how they don't care about current paying customers) but I must say, worth every penny. I tried some of the other free ones....nothing is as good and easy as Plex.

Hopefully they have another code for new users for $75 in the future, because I was sick of waiting for this magical code that only a select few users got.

B :)
Jr. Member
Jul 10, 2019
104 posts
85 upvotes
If you value your privacy, don’t use plex. They have access to your metadata and are very vague with their privacy policy
only price errors are true deals - such is the philosophy of RFD.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1960 posts
506 upvotes
h8g7f6j9k0 wrote: If you value your privacy, don’t use plex. They have access to your metadata and are very vague with their privacy policy
Stop spreading FUDD. They don't care about your porn library or even pirated movies (there are HUGE networks of shared plex libraries out there alive and well).
Jr. Member
Jul 10, 2019
104 posts
85 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote: Stop spreading FUDD. They don't care about your porn library or even pirated movies (there are HUGE networks of shared plex libraries out there alive and well).
it's not fudd. if you've been around for awhile that plex has and even a simple google search says enough. the point is that they sell your data and that is their model.
only price errors are true deals - such is the philosophy of RFD.

Top