Expired Hot Deals

Plex: Life time Plex Pass for US$74.99 - Targetted

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2020 8:47 am
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2111 posts
673 upvotes
h8g7f6j9k0 wrote: it's not fudd. if you've been around for awhile that plex has and even a simple google search says enough. the point is that they sell your data and that is their model.
Yes, I've been around "for a while" and know that there was typical outrage after the policy change. Plex clarified their intent and provided the opt out.

This is on their privacy page with a section to opt out:
As described above, client playback data does not identify what content was played, does not identify what server the content was played from, does not identify the owner of the server that the content was played from, and is generalized.

Similarly, the server playback does not identify what content was played, does not identify which client accessed the content, does not identify the user who played it, and is generalized.
All this fear mongering is based on what? the fear that the MPAA will sue plex users? It's in Plex's self interest to make sure it doesn't have identifiable data to put their customers at risk. Dunno if that makes you feel any better.
Jul 10, 2019
165 posts
137 upvotes
Just do a google search and see how Plex has treated their customer is enough. That’s all I am ganna say🤷🏻‍♂️
only price errors are true deals - such is the philosophy of RFD.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2111 posts
673 upvotes
h8g7f6j9k0 wrote: Just do a google search and see how Plex has treated their customer is enough. That’s all I am ganna say🤷🏻‍♂️
Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, Disinformation.

Your response almost fits every category of the defnition of FUDD.

I did search (hence my well formed response with actually useful information and links). The only stuff I could find that supported your argument was all based on FUDD and people blowing things out of proportion (most likely ex-plex users that are still butthurt about plex moving to a subscription model and charging rates that they can't/won't afford).

Also, don't beat around the bush if you have evidence that is contrary to what I believe. If you think using Plex is dangerous for people that download "legally questionable" material, please elaborate.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4522 posts
6130 upvotes
Vancouver
Just get Jellyfin...

All free... and no middleman servers involved.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Aug 19, 2011
240 posts
118 upvotes
Jellyfin is fine, but that's all it is.

The great thing about Plex is its growing ubiquity. I was at a family members house this Christmas. Turns out she recently bought a smart TV that supported Plex out of the box.

The fact that Plex just works is what changes the game.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4522 posts
6130 upvotes
Vancouver
Jellyfin is fine, but that's all it is.

The great thing about Plex is its growing ubiquity. I was at a family members house this Christmas. Turns out she recently bought a smart TV that supported Plex out of the box.

The fact that Plex just works is what changes the game.
Sure, it all depends on your usage pattern; for most people Jellyfin would be just fine compared to plex, minus $$ and + privacy.

But, of course, if you must share your 14TB of almost legal media content with others....

And, Jellyfin also 'just works'... Very, very simple.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Jan 26, 2012
277 posts
477 upvotes
Quebec
I understand the desire to save money but a lot of comments in here are just ...

How do you guys think software companies pay the bills? Do you think Plex took half an hour to make in notepad and mspaint?

geez, if you like something, consider contributing financially to its success.
Mar 31, 2017
216 posts
205 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote: Yes, I've been around "for a while" and know that there was typical outrage after the policy change. Plex clarified their intent and provided the opt out.

This is on their privacy page with a section to opt out:

All this fear mongering is based on what? the fear that the MPAA will sue plex users? It's in Plex's self interest to make sure it doesn't have identifiable data to put their customers at risk. Dunno if that makes you feel any better.
Thanks for the link