Hot Deals

[Plex] Plex Arcade - Free for 7 days - $2.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2021 12:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2333 posts
2154 upvotes
Whitby

Plex Arcade - Free for 7 days - $2.99

Deal Link:
Price:
2.99
Expiry:
December 31, 2021
Retailer:
Plex
Let the gaming begin. Play old school Atari classics plus your own collection of game ROMs and emulators on your favorite devices, courtesy of Plex Labs and Atari. It’s a guaranteed win!

Try free for 7 Days

From $2.99/mo after free trial.
Supported on Mac and Windows servers only.

https://www.plex.tv/arcade/

Seems to be a kickstarter for plex. I believe you can add your own roms but don't quote me on that. Free for 7 days. Give it a whirl.
54 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 24, 2018
528 posts
531 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
dyalect wrote: Let the gaming begin. Play old school Atari classics plus your own collection of game ROMs and emulators on your favorite devices, courtesy of Plex Labs and Atari. It’s a guaranteed win!

Try free for 7 Days

From $2.99/mo after free trial.
Supported on Mac and Windows servers only.

https://www.plex.tv/arcade/

Seems to be a kickstarter for plex. I believe you can add your own roms but don't quote me on that. Free for 7 days. Give it a whirl.
I would just pick "Retroarch" over this. A quick reddit on Rom Center// Roms megathreshold 3.0.
No thanks to me.
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1540 posts
705 upvotes
This is such a stupid system. The fact that its a monthly fee for something that uses your hardware, your roms/isos, your emulators, and parsecs scrapers... Like, its actually audacious of plex to ask for a monthly fee ontop of already charging for plexpass.
Lon.tv did a rundown of it(and was very upfront it was sponsored by plex, and in the politest way possible said he thinks is a dumb idea) and pretty much echos anyone who's using plex.

To get it setup, you already need to do all the same junk you would that allows you to stream(fore free) from anywhere, anyway... They're not simplifying anything, they're just letting you use their front-end for launching the games... and charging you a recurring fee for it. Its like someone putting up an extra door infront of your house and charging you to use it, to get into your own home.
If this was a one-time $5 fee, id be fine with it(I wouldnt pay it, or use it...). But that they expect you to pay $36-60(the $3 fee is if you already pay for plexpass) a year is insulting.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6483 posts
6273 upvotes
dyalect wrote: Let the gaming begin. Play old school Atari classics plus your own collection of game ROMs and emulators on your favorite devices, courtesy of Plex Labs and Atari. It’s a guaranteed win!

Try free for 7 Days

From $2.99/mo after free trial.
Supported on Mac and Windows servers only.

https://www.plex.tv/arcade/

Seems to be a kickstarter for plex. I believe you can add your own roms but don't quote me on that. Free for 7 days. Give it a whirl.
Fail. I can't imagine running my plex server on Windows. Yuck.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2295 posts
946 upvotes
Are you sure it requires you to run the emulator locally on your network? From my understanding, they were hosting the emulator (probably spinning up a lightweight AWS instance) and putting an easy to use front end on a parsec stream to that instance...

I still hate subscription fees but in this case, it's somewhat justifiable
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2295 posts
946 upvotes
repatch wrote: Fail. I can't imagine running my plex server on Windows. Yuck.
It's not too bad on windows. Add a plex service management tool and it's been super hands off from inception.
Sr. Member
Jul 31, 2020
812 posts
535 upvotes
I get the idea, it makes things device agnostic. Im just not sure another paying another $3/month for it. I also don’t really care for the included games.
Last edited by Kevcorm on Jan 27th, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
User avatar
Feb 24, 2008
17 posts
15 upvotes
This is a hot deal? Am I missing something? From what I can tell, it's simply just a rip off.
Sr. Member
Jul 31, 2020
812 posts
535 upvotes
mhaven98 wrote: This is a hot deal? Am I missing something? From what I can tell, it's simply just a rip off.
If you want to be able to stream Atari games to pretty much any device it could be worth it for someone, I’m not really interested.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2295 posts
946 upvotes
If you think of this as plex dipping their toes into game streaming, if the technology works, there's no reason why you would be limited to retro emulators. They could easily expand this into full PC desktop gaming.

Would I pay extra for it (even though I'm a lifetime plex pass user?) hmm..... not sure on that part.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8339 posts
3030 upvotes
Toronto
mr_yellow wrote: It's not too bad on windows. Add a plex service management tool and it's been super hands off from inception.
What tools do you use?
Newbie
User avatar
Feb 24, 2008
17 posts
15 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: If you want to be able to stream Atari games to pretty much any device it could be worth it for someone, I’m not really interested.
But isn't this just the regular price? How is this a deal?
Newbie
Jan 26, 2021
10 posts
27 upvotes
mhaven98 wrote: But isn't this just the regular price? How is this a deal?
It's new, normally price goes up after a while with those type of services.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
1316 posts
909 upvotes
Orleans, ON
repatch wrote: Fail. I can't imagine running my plex server on Windows. Yuck.
My hardcore apple fanatic friend runs his on Windows because it was way cheaper to build a PC for it than run it on a capable Mac. If you know what you're doing and set it up properly, there's basically no difference. I've had zero issues with mine, personally.
Newbie
Jan 26, 2021
10 posts
27 upvotes
Kevin8se7en wrote: My hardcore apple fanatic friend runs his on Windows because it was way cheaper to build a PC for it than run it on a capable Mac. If you know what you're doing and set it up properly, there's basically no difference. I've had zero issues with mine, personally.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about linux, also running it in a docker from windows isn't an option anymore if you want to support plex arcade
Member
Dec 24, 2012
413 posts
453 upvotes
Terrebonne
Such a stupid idea when they could have spent time on core functionaility and fixing bugs. Why use this instead of the other free options out there? Why pay for this when Apple Arcade is the same price? Ugh.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6483 posts
6273 upvotes
Kevin8se7en wrote: My hardcore apple fanatic friend runs his on Windows because it was way cheaper to build a PC for it than run it on a capable Mac. If you know what you're doing and set it up properly, there's basically no difference. I've had zero issues with mine, personally.
MAC is supported.

Linux is not. Linux is by far the best platform for me to run something like this on, which is what I do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2333 posts
2154 upvotes
Whitby
*eye roll* Its free for 7 days. Running these things directly from plex is more ease of use than anything. Toss a few roms you already have in there. Cancel after a week. Cost - $0.

Tough crowd.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6483 posts
6273 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote: It's not too bad on windows. Add a plex service management tool and it's been super hands off from inception.
The point is it's windows running as a 'server', that's just not fun to me.

Top