Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Plex] Plex Pass $74.99 USD [Targeted for "OG customers", Check E-mail, YMMV]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2018 12:32 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6372 posts
6734 upvotes
Center of Canada
I wish i can get this deal.

I purchase the one time license couple year ago, can't remember what it call, but only allow me to stream my content on my server to my Android box at home.
very happy with it,
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
1278 posts
592 upvotes
Regina, SK
Make sure to check junk/spam email folders. I waited for one of these promos for a long time. Several months ago one of these threads popped up and I didn't get an email as usual, but I checked the spam folder and the email was sitting in there. Worth a shot keeping an eye on these folders.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1296 posts
2042 upvotes
Terrebonne
BenK wrote: what makes Emby better?
There are a few things, including a real TV guide for the DVR, but for me it's mostly the devs' attitude. Plex doesn't give a rats *** what people think, they implement a bunch of things no one asked for when LONGSTANDING bugs aren't fixed and some feature requests wait for years...

Emby communicates daily on their forums and bugs are fixed almost as soon as they're reported.

FYI mobile sync is broken in Plex for Android, music doesn't get transcoded so it destroys your cellphone data, PlayStation app hasn't been updated in 2 years, windows 10 app is completely broken and doesn't get updated, etc etc. Lots of bugs on FireTV devices, too.
I used to love Plex and have a lifetime membership, but jumped ship to emby and I'm happier.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1110 posts
1048 upvotes
Toronto
I paid for a month and cancelled (twice) , then eventually got the lifetime offer I'd been waiting for.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
2726 posts
1100 upvotes
What is the advantage to pay for Plex versus free subscription
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2018
1173 posts
759 upvotes
I just realized I missed the email they sent to me around Xmas time last year, I never opened it....
and the redeem code is way expired.....shoot
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1440 posts
816 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
VicRav wrote: Make sure to check junk/spam email folders. I waited for one of these promos for a long time. Several months ago one of these threads popped up and I didn't get an email as usual, but I checked the spam folder and the email was sitting in there. Worth a shot keeping an eye on these folders.
Might be a no-brainer but log into your Plex account and make sure you're subscribed to their emails. I wasn't, sub'd, and got an invite for the deal a few weeks later.
Beware the RFD Effect
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
2209 posts
639 upvotes
Plex had alot of issues for me, Emby thus far has zero issues and nice interface IMO...
BenK wrote: what makes Emby better?
Feb 26, 2017
616 posts
437 upvotes
Still nothing :\ I wonder if opening up a bunch of new accounts might help the odds?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1237 posts
1441 upvotes
TORONTO
Saad1988 wrote: What is the advantage to pay for Plex versus free subscription
- Early access to beta toys like DVR + HDHomerun Extend for OTA recordings, mobile syncing
- Complete user access control over directories and sections... people in the same household - and my out of town relatives across the country - can transcode to their hearts delight (Intel NUC 7i5BNH ftw) but no one can see my viewing history or access my pR0n libraries, etc. Their kids' accounts only see cartoons, Disney, Pixar, select YouTube channels, G-rated family movies. My sis and mom were able to transcode older episodes of cancelled TV shows that were either removed from - or never on - Netflix and now no longer available on even Kodi. I'd rather rely on my own best HD copies than be held hostage by "the cloud."

My apologies if these are now free features as well, and not Plex Pass exclusive.

But in general I supported the devs because Plex is a refined product and they keep refreshing constantly with cool stuff.

YMMV on the value of Plex Pass if you use the server sparingly, and need neither things like HDHomerun DVR integration nor transcoding through multiple user accounts.

I've served 100TB+ for years now and immediately bit when the $75 USD lifetime pass offer popped up in my inbox. It's like having a personal box office for me and my friends... anywhere in the world. Worth every penny.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
4249 posts
1672 upvotes
Belle River
PitchyDawg wrote: - Early access to beta toys like DVR + HDHomerun Extend for OTA recordings, mobile syncing
- Complete user access control over directories and sections... people in the same household - and my out of town relatives across the country - can transcode to their hearts delight (Intel NUC 7i5BNH ftw) but no one can see my viewing history or access my pR0n libraries, etc. Their kids' accounts only see cartoons, Disney, Pixar, select YouTube channels, G-rated family movies. My sis and mom were able to transcode older episodes of cancelled TV shows that were either removed from - or never on - Netflix and now no longer available on even Kodi. I'd rather rely on my own best HD copies than be held hostage by "the cloud."

My apologies if these are now free features as well, and not Plex Pass exclusive.

But in general I supported the devs because Plex is a refined product and they keep refreshing constantly with cool stuff.

YMMV on the value of Plex Pass if you use the server sparingly, and need neither things like HDHomerun DVR integration nor transcoding through multiple user accounts.

I've served 100TB+ for years now and immediately bit when the $75 USD lifetime pass offer popped up in my inbox. It's like having a personal box office for me and my friends... anywhere in the world. Worth every penny.
Thanks for the detailed post. What kind of internet connection (or hosting whatever) are you serving this from?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1237 posts
1441 upvotes
TORONTO
hystavito wrote: Thanks for the detailed post. What kind of internet connection (or hosting whatever) are you serving this from?
I meant I have 100TB+ in media on tap - not that I've sent that amount already as bandwidth. Sorry for the ambiguity. I just have a regular consumer upstream of 10 - 30 Mbps depending on where I've lived throughout the years.

3 Asus AC68Us running as AiMesh inside the home. With "hardware-accelerated transcoding" on the NUC server, "it is able to hardware transcode three H.264 1080p movies at the same time with ~30-35% CPU load. Transcoding a single H.265 4K HDR movie has ~35-40% CPU load" (according to a Plex user who has an almost identical hardware setup.) Transcoding the audio portion only is a light duty task.

I direct play within the home whenever possible; simultaneous remote connections are limited by the upstream bandwidth - but Plex's "Streaming Brain" automatically negotiates that.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
I'm about to cut the cable. I have an HDHomeRun Connect right now (average 34 channels, but often get almost double).

I want DVR functionality. Is this useful for me...?
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3155 posts
1869 upvotes
cwb27 wrote: I'm about to cut the cable. I have an HDHomeRun Connect right now (average 34 channels, but often get almost double).

I want DVR functionality. Is this useful for me...?
Yes, if you have a NAS or media center.

I have a NAS and two HDHomeRun Extends. Hoping for a Plex lifetime so that I can PVR onto my Plex-supporting NAS and watch from any smart device in the house.
Dec 13, 2006
646 posts
337 upvotes
I did a complete Plex setup at my place and it's really great!

Sonarr to find stuff
Jackett for indexer
Subzero Plex addon to add subtitle to everything
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1396 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
I got this a few months back and it’s great. Sync is the feature I use the most.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Jul 28, 2010
842 posts
535 upvotes
For Emby users, do they provide a two week guide for OTA? That's one of the biggest draws for Plex but I found it had too many issues. Live OTA was slow to load and I could never find my server.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
I'm in the same boat. Every time I see one of these threads I wish I was one of the lucky ones.

Is anyone else a little paranoid that Plex will eventually start putting some kind of ads on? Seems like at some point they're going to want to monetize, and that the lifetime members really won't have much recourse. Wouldn't be hard for them to put an on-screen add every now and again.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted: