Plex pass Geek Pride Day Sale 20% off

Deal Link:
Savings:
20% off
Expiry:
May 26, 2021
Retailer:
Plex
New Plex deal if you didn't get the previous promo. One day only. ppl have used different regions to get even better pricing but ymmv.

Edit: works with lifetime and annual subscriptions. Deal is valid through May 26th. Use the link or coupon code MEDIAGEEK
14 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1184 posts
1459 upvotes
Unless I'm missing something here, $127 isn't a good price for Plex lifetime.
Feb 12, 2006
556 posts
674 upvotes
Maybe it's because I don't have a free Plex server at all (still sneakernetting the USB to the TV/HTPC). But why do people pay for the premium? I know the features, but I guess because it's a great front end for streaming your presumably giant pirated collection of movies?
Dec 11, 2012
7 posts
BURLINGTON
Thanks OP! Been waiting for a sale and this worked
[OP]
Jan 11, 2008
451 posts
65 upvotes
xtrmDeals wrote: Unless I'm missing something here, $127 isn't a good price for Plex lifetime.
checkout using brazil region will be ~$90 cad, but not all credit card works so ymmv
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1184 posts
1459 upvotes
KeitaRR wrote: checkout using brazil region will be ~$90 cad, but not all credit card works so ymmv
That doesn't work anymore. Also, even if you do, you get R499,99 which is CA$113. That "deal" was months ago.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2008
451 posts
65 upvotes
xtrmDeals wrote: That doesn't work anymore. Also, even if you do, you get R499,99 which is CA$113. That "deal" was months ago.
R499.99 is the regular price, it's R399.99 with the coupon. but yea i already have plex pass so haven't tried it myself hence the "ymmv"

And if they indeed patched the brazil checkout, then $127 isn't that bad for those of us without a time machine right? Looking at the past recent deals the most was 30% off, majority were 20%-25%. I doubt they would do a 50% off so the days of getting plex pass at under $100 are probably gone.
Oct 29, 2016
535 posts
305 upvotes
Kazushi wrote: Maybe it's because I don't have a free Plex server at all (still sneakernetting the USB to the TV/HTPC). But why do people pay for the premium? I know the features, but I guess because it's a great front end for streaming your presumably giant pirated collection of movies?
What’s sneakernetting?

You should give plex a try. The free version is enough for me.
Oct 20, 2018
70 posts
60 upvotes
Kazushi wrote: Maybe it's because I don't have a free Plex server at all (still sneakernetting the USB to the TV/HTPC). But why do people pay for the premium? I know the features, but I guess because it's a great front end for streaming your presumably giant pirated collection of movies?
I have it for the live tv feature, and for the hardware acceleration.
Also for encouraging them after having used their software for free for like 10 years.
Feb 12, 2006
556 posts
674 upvotes
User381589 wrote: What’s sneakernetting?

You should give plex a try. The free version is enough for me.
I'm showing my age a bit. But Sneakernet basically refers to someone putting the files on a disk/disc and physically walking it over.

So in my case, from my desktop on a 128GB Flash drive to my Smart TV, or I could just grab it via a samba share over the network to my HTPC.

I don't really download too much to warrant my own NAS or anything mostly just asian dramas for wifey, and the occasional old rips of TV shows/Movies for me.

I was wondering from a high level overview, other than being a front end for your video collection. (most of mine can play natively without transcoding as well). What does everyone else use it for? Honest question, no offense intended.
Sep 29, 2010
464 posts
618 upvotes
Emby is a free and better alternative.

Also, Plex randomly drops support for fully functional devices and requires Plex to phone home to log in to devices on your own network with plexpass.

Hard pass.
Jan 26, 2018
969 posts
565 upvotes
pdipps wrote: Emby is a free and better alternative.

Also, Plex randomly drops support for fully functional devices and requires Plex to phone home to log in to devices on your own network with plexpass.

Hard pass.
Emby is not free, well, they have the free version just like Plex but both have the premium tier now.
https://support.emby.media/support/solu ... ure-matrix

I've been using Plex free version for years untill I learned Jellyfin recently, made the switch and it works great.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2161 posts
1436 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I switched to Emby and then to Jellyfin. Jellyfin is a free alternative to Emby, it works on amazon fire stick and roku. Plex has way more features but if all you want to do is stream videos from your server's hard drive to your tv, jellyfin will do it. It runs on my rpi.
Sep 29, 2010
464 posts
618 upvotes
keshan wrote: Emby is not free, well, they have the free version just like Plex but both have the premium tier now.
https://support.emby.media/support/solu ... ure-matrix

I've been using Plex free version for years untill I learned Jellyfin recently, made the switch and it works great.
Haven't tried Jellyfin yet, but have heard goof things! Emby is working pretty great with the free version (and is considerably less customer-hostile than Plex)