[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1293 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto

Plex server upgrade

Hello,

So I run my old HTPC as my plex server at the same time and it's now struggling to transcode 4k 10bit hdr. It's an i5 2500k, 32gb ddr3, gtx 1660 super. When transcoding cpu is at 100% and I'm oc'd at 4.5ghz.

Can I subscribe to plex premium and use hardware acceleration and that will solve the problem by taking the load off the cpu? Or is it time for me to say goodbye to this 12 year old build lol
3 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11580 posts
3971 upvotes
Winnipeg
steven_s wrote: Hello,

So I run my old HTPC as my plex server at the same time and it's now struggling to transcode 4k 10bit hdr. It's an i5 2500k, 32gb ddr3, gtx 1660 super. When transcoding cpu is at 100% and I'm oc'd at 4.5ghz.

Can I subscribe to plex premium and use hardware acceleration and that will solve the problem by taking the load off the cpu? Or is it time for me to say goodbye to this 12 year old build lol
less electricity and cheaper/better to buy clients that playback natively 4k uhd than bother transcoding 4k material. Your not suppose to transcode 4k it then becomes worse than true source.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7219 posts
4885 upvotes
SW ON
Now with your GTX 1660 you should be able to transcode 4K with tone mapping on Windows and Plex pass. I think you can get a trial. If not, pay for 1 month and see if it's worth it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2007
1293 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: less electricity and cheaper/better to buy clients that playback natively 4k uhd than bother transcoding 4k material. Your not suppose to transcode 4k it then becomes worse than true source.
I ended up turning off transcoder since it is mainly for home network use and not outside of it. Since my internet speed is high I can view full 4k 60mb bitrate without stutter (plex video and audio transcode still runs ~30% of cpu usage). If I feel the need to use plex more (right now extremely seldom) outside network I may take @alpovs advice and try plex pass for hardware acceleration and see if that will work instead.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)