Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
$60.00 OFF
Expiry:
March 4, 2021
Retailer:
PLEX
YMMV I received an email with a unique code to purchase a lifetime PLEX PASS for $74.99 USD - Converted with the code it's $99.99 CAD + tax. CORRECTION - NO TAX CHARGED!

Check your E-Mail! - EDIT: Check your junk email folders as well.

Regular Life Time price is $159.99 CAD

Offer Expires March 4th.

Very targeted, like most PLEX offers are. I've had PLEX for years and this is the first offer I've received.
Last edited by maddmaxx308 on Feb 25th, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
113 replies
Jul 15, 2012
178 posts
513 upvotes
Burnaby
Nothing for me, and I never subscribed for Plex Pass.
Would consider it for $99.99 though.
Feb 8, 2020
141 posts
308 upvotes
Great offer

OP if you could just edit your title to say $60 Off, instead of 60% off that it currently says
Koodo 14GB for $37.50/mo
3 Years Xbox GPU $100
Fido Internet 300d/15u for $30/mo
Netflix / YouTube / Spotify Group Buys

Thanks RFD!
Nov 12, 2018
60 posts
353 upvotes
If anyone has experience with the paid lifetime pass, can you ELI5 of why I need it?
Oct 11, 2012
141 posts
57 upvotes
OTTAWA
Bullsigh wrote: If anyone has experience with the paid lifetime pass, can you ELI5 of why I need it?
If you don't need/want the Live TV/DVR and hardware transcoding features, you don't need the plex pass. My NAS can take advantage of the hardware transcoding, so I bought the lifetime pass on the last sale.
Jul 15, 2012
178 posts
513 upvotes
Burnaby
Bullsigh wrote: If anyone has experience with the paid lifetime pass, can you ELI5 of why I need it?
I don't have it, but I am looking to subscribe for hardware transcoding and streaming videos on my phone/tablet from my server.
Mar 23, 2017
280 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
I got it mostly for streaming videos to the phone for kids. I have a lot of kids content on my home server and am trying to keep them off netflix/youtube.

Thanks OP, was waiting on a big sale and never check those emails.
Sep 10, 2008
68 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary
plastikboy wrote: If you don't need/want the Live TV/DVR and hardware transcoding features, you don't need the plex pass. My NAS can take advantage of the hardware transcoding, so I bought the lifetime pass on the last sale.
  • Intro Skip
  • Mobile Sync
  • Camera Upload
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3944 posts
1314 upvotes
BC
Snowcrash01 wrote: I got it mostly for streaming videos to the phone for kids. I have a lot of kids content on my home server and am trying to keep them off netflix/youtube.

Thanks OP, was waiting on a big sale and never check those emails.
any reason why one would keep their kids off netflix/youtube?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1142 posts
621 upvotes
Scarborough
iownyou wrote: any reason why one would keep their kids off netflix/youtube?
Youtube kids is full of dumb, useless, but very addicting videos. In my opinion if I am wasting my kids time with screen, at least they could do it on something which can be useful for them.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1387 posts
1825 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
Before most clients could Direct Stream at minimum I would have said Hardware Transcoding alone made the purchase worth it, but now it's just a bonus.

For me it's the Mobile Sync (basically same idea and Download and Go on Netflix/Disney+.

Skip intro is a pretty cool feature too actually and if went back to no Plex Pass, I would for sure miss it.
I don't even have kids and I can see the argument for keeping them off YouTube. Just a cesspool of misinformation, toxic algorithm pushing and don't even attempt to look at the comments section lol
Jun 21, 2007
40 posts
48 upvotes
Prince George, BC
I've been waiting to receive this email for years and finally got it.
Sep 29, 2010
423 posts
537 upvotes
Switch to EMBY instead.

Plex tends to move more and more features into the paid tiers and drops support for old version and NAS devices that were working perfectly fine.

Also, I consider it a little customer-hostile that there's practically no way to use PLEX on an internal network only, without using PlexPass login.

EMBY is free and does most of the same things, without all of the PITA restrictions.
Mar 23, 2017
280 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
I think there is a problem with giving kids too much choice, with local streaming options I can have a smaller amount of high quality shows and try to avoid as much of the mindless product placement stuff. Of course he still watches his fair share of paw patrol and the like on netflix but we try to limit that as a special treat.

Youtube is especially dangerous because of the endless scroll (kids won't watch something, they will watch 5 seconds and see what else is there). Also, the youtube rabbit holes are real and I won't let him use it on a phone without close supervision.

I don't think screen time is as bad for kids as some people do, but I think the content and the way they consume it is dangerous. The 15 seconds of a video then swiping up to see what else is on is the bad part, just sitting and watching a show for 30 minutes is fine.
Jan 4, 2021
33 posts
127 upvotes
pdipps wrote: Switch to EMBY instead.

Plex tends to move more and more features into the paid tiers and drops support for old version and NAS devices that were working perfectly fine.

Also, I consider it a little customer-hostile that there's practically no way to use PLEX on an internal network only, without using PlexPass login.

EMBY is free and does most of the same things, without all of the PITA restrictions.
EMBY still needs a paid subscription for hardware decoding.
Feb 4, 2016
111 posts
180 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Thanks OP, seen this come up a bunch of times and finally got the offer in my email as well. Just getting back into the Plex game so perfect timing.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3944 posts
1314 upvotes
BC
Harpagon wrote: Youtube kids is full of dumb, useless, but very addicting videos. In my opinion if I am wasting my kids time with screen, at least they could do it on something which can be useful for them.
ChippewaBarr wrote: Before most clients could Direct Stream at minimum I would have said Hardware Transcoding alone made the purchase worth it, but now it's just a bonus.

For me it's the Mobile Sync (basically same idea and Download and Go on Netflix/Disney+.

Skip intro is a pretty cool feature too actually and if went back to no Plex Pass, I would for sure miss it.
I don't even have kids and I can see the argument for keeping them off YouTube. Just a cesspool of misinformation, toxic algorithm pushing and don't even attempt to look at the comments section lol
Snowcrash01 wrote: I think there is a problem with giving kids too much choice, with local streaming options I can have a smaller amount of high quality shows and try to avoid as much of the mindless product placement stuff. Of course he still watches his fair share of paw patrol and the like on netflix but we try to limit that as a special treat.

Youtube is especially dangerous because of the endless scroll (kids won't watch something, they will watch 5 seconds and see what else is there). Also, the youtube rabbit holes are real and I won't let him use it on a phone without close supervision.

I don't think screen time is as bad for kids as some people do, but I think the content and the way they consume it is dangerous. The 15 seconds of a video then swiping up to see what else is on is the bad part, just sitting and watching a show for 30 minutes is fine.
so netflix would be ok....
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1142 posts
621 upvotes
Scarborough
iownyou wrote: so netflix would be ok....
I got myself overheated by YouTube and forgot the rant about Netflix ;). To be honest I think is the lesser evil.
Nov 7, 2013
999 posts
804 upvotes
Ottawa
I just searched my email and have an email from Plex offering me lifetime subscription for $74.99 USD...I'm hoping I can still do this. It would $94 CAD this way.
Dec 24, 2017
946 posts
911 upvotes
London
Harpagon wrote: I got myself overheated by YouTube and forgot the rant about Netflix ;). To be honest I think is the lesser evil.
from a quality of information perspective, absolutely. Youtube is full of wacko conspiracies from the likes of QAnon and other content that are legitimately harmful. At least netflix content is vetted

edit to add: pls teach your kids media literacy and how to understand when the information they are receiving is questionable and how to verify information