Automotive

pls advise - a crack on windshield of rental car, filed a claim, will keep update & thanks to all

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 3:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2967 posts
748 upvotes
Mars

pls advise - a crack on windshield of rental car, filed a claim, will keep update & thanks to all

the crack was not there today when I started driving. i am very sure of this because it was raining in Saskatoon this morning and I switched on wipes and cleaned the window, I would have noticed that if it were there. I noticed this when I had been driving for almost an hour, because it was raining, i glanced at the wipes, and suddenly there was a crack, from lower right corner of the passenger seat about 1/4 . I was not sure if it was there before my pick up the car or after I rented the car as I only paid attention to the body when I picked up the car.

there was no car in front of me or at the back within sight. I was the only car on the road (highway 16 from Saskatoon to Elk Island National Park). so it was not hit by a little rock from a passing car or truck. I was driving below speed limit about 85KM again because of the rain. on the way here, i heard little rocks hit my car 2 days ago in Ontario and Manitoba, but nothing happened then, no crack at that time. so it was quite baffling to me.

I rented the car from Enterprise with Canadian Tire World Elite card, which had collision and damage coverage. I don't know if Enterprise will charge me for this (and how much) and how to deal with the insurance (I don't have my own insurance as I don't currently have a car). Should I call the Enterprise branch where I rented car tomorrow? Another concern is if that crack will become big or even broken, should I ask or will Enterprise change a car for me here in Edmonton?

your advice is very much apppreciated.

=============================================================================================================================================================

UPDATE

returned the car today, they did not say anything about it. However, while I was waiting for one guy went out check the car, I heard the other guy working there calling someone told him that "the front bumper was damaged, the left front light something" etc I could not remember, apparently they went after the guy who had returned the car and I don't know what that guy who rent the car said over the phone and how it would go. I'm not sure if they will call me tomorrow or couple of days late and told me the windshield had a crack and other problems etc. then the guy who went out checking my car came back and said "all good" then I left.

Thank you all for the advice while I was on the road, without many of your experience and comfort, I definitely would lose couple of nights sleep over it. Let's just hope no more hassles and surely I will keep renting from that location if all is going well.

==================================================================================================================================================================

UPDATE

Enterprise called me today about the crack, just filed claim with Canadian Tire World Elite (CT WE), will get in touch with Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit tomorrow. CT WE told me the windshield (corolla) would cost anywhere from 200-300 or 600-700 depends on where Enterprise go. It will take CT WE 2-4 weeks, very likely longer given the pandemic then make a decision. CT WE told me there is no deductible. "mostly will between they (Enterprise) and us (CT WE) from this point on." that's what CT WE told me.

will keep this updated until it's done for future reference of any other people who are renting the car. Have been renting from this location for 4 years, first time happened to me.
Last edited by forgetpwd on Oct 22nd, 2020 6:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
48 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5825 posts
4506 upvotes
if your windshield have chipped, visible or not, that will develop into crack as you keep driving without getting the chip fixed.

Read your credit car policy, it should be covered (but read the rules). But I doubt they would care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2967 posts
748 upvotes
Mars
Xtrema wrote: if your windshield have chipped, visible or not, that will develop into crack as you keep driving without getting the chip fixed.

Read your credit car policy, it should be covered (but read the rules). But I doubt they would care.
by that you mean...?
Dec 15, 2017
119 posts
75 upvotes
Something like that happened to me. Rented a car from enterprise and next day there’s rain and windows get foggy and boom I notice a 5 inch crack around the area where rear mirror is attached. I could have sworn it wasn’t there when I rented the car, and I drove it for the whole day and didn’t see it until I used wipers the next day. I was starting to think maybe it was thermal related or some branch fell on the windshield when I didn’t see or something. Long story short I returned the car and showed them the crack and they said “yeah it was there before, didn’t we tell you?”. Call them and ask . Worst case scenario you will save a lot of sleep over it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5825 posts
4506 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote: by that you mean...?
Sorry, I meant Enterprise probably wont care about a cracked windshield. If they do, I am sure your CC's insurance will cover it unless you rented a vehicle excluded from coverage.

Don't lose sleep over it, especially you are doing a cross country drive.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2605 posts
1294 upvotes
B.C.
Xtrema wrote: if your windshield have chipped, visible or not, that will develop into crack as you keep driving without getting the chip fixed.

I think (depending on the rental car agency of course) Windshields and Tires are the renters responsibility.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11239 posts
3497 upvotes
Toronto
Crack can appear sometime after and not right away.
I got a rock hit on my windshield few years ago and a week later, I notice a small line at the bottom of windshield which is not visible at all unless I get of the car and starve on it. Few days after, the crack is getting longer to the point that I had to replace the whole windshield.

I got it replaced under my comprehensive coverage and paid the deductible.

You have no car hence no auto insurance, so you have to pay to replace the windshield on your own.

But I will return the car and see if they notice it, if they do, then pay for it. if they did not notice, then you save yourself some money.

If you really have to pay for it, check if CT to see if they cover windshield damage, this will be your last life saver.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2967 posts
748 upvotes
Mars
thank you all very much for advice. I now remember every time when I pick up the car they (enterprise) told me "we don't care about small scratches. we are looking for big dents." they never mentioned windshield though. before I pick up this car for cross country drive they told me if in emergency I could get towed to an enterprise to pick up a replacement, so I assume the tire is their responsibility. now should i call them - they might tell me don't worry about it or screw me over it then we will get into some arguments and i have to end up calling CC for insurance etc etc pretty much ruin the rest of my trip - but I hope the crack won't get bigger or even break - then I have to call to get a replacement, or just wait till i back to return it and see, like MP3_SKY said, and deal with the trouble when I back .

i got up early (2 hours difference) today ready to call that branch's manager, butta...fk it...i'm gonna sleep more, at least today.
Banned
May 3, 2020
77 posts
73 upvotes
Ha, funny story, one time I picked up a rental car.. Drove away and as I was driving I noticed the windshield was also cracked. BUT we couldn't see it when we did the inspection. I drove right back and traded the car for another one. Unfortunately for me, the car that I had to trade into was a piece of shit.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11239 posts
3497 upvotes
Toronto
You can call and get a replacement and they will rent you another car to continue your trip. But that doesnt mean that they will let go the windshield damage and won't ask you to pay for a new windshield.

How obvious is the crack anyway?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5131 posts
2728 upvotes
Toronto
Last time I got a car from enterprise with chipped windshield, I called them an hour later and they said np. If they say your fault, claim it through the cc you used to rent the car.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2642 posts
1148 upvotes
Calgary
This happened to me. Except mine was a chip, not even a crack. But because it was in the line of sight of driver they said it can't be fixed, so they charged me $200 for a new windshield. They for sure will not let it go if it's a crack and you didn't get extra insurance from them.

All I did was submit a claim to my MasterCard after the fact, and they covered it.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1251 posts
1681 upvotes
West
If it's a crack, you'll almost certainly be billed for a windshield replacement, which will range from $200-500, depending on the car & shop they use. If you have CDW coverage from your CC, Enterprise will likely bill you a damage fee, and reimburse the difference when the final bill settles. You claim any loss you sustain with CT, and they will reimburse you every cent.

Though I've never made a CDW claim through CT, these claims are very common. The process is pretty simple, I wouldn't fret. Your only job is to watch out for paperwork hitting your e-mail, and forwarding them on to CT's insurance company.

If it's a chip, Enterprise has certain rules that determine whether it's covered under "wear-and-tear" vs. not. It has to be out of the driver's line of sight, impact point < ~0.25" diameter, and total underlying damage under ~1" in diameter.

Your choice whether to bother getting a new car. Theoretically a crack of any sort can be a safety issue... but keep in mind, if you get a new car, and you are driving through rocky terrain, you put yourself at risk for a second windshield chip/crack incident, lol. Double the headache.
Oct 22, 2016
579 posts
454 upvotes
Comox Valley
forgetpwd wrote: the crack was not there today when I started driving. i am very sure of this because it was raining in Saskatoon this morning and I switched on wipes and cleaned the window, I would have noticed that if it were there. I noticed this when I had been driving for almost an hour, because it was raining, i glanced at the wipes, and suddenly there was a crack, from lower right corner of the passenger seat about 1/4 or 1/3 way across the windshield, very noticeable.

there was no car in front of me or at the back within sight. I was the only car on the road (highway 16 from Saskatoon to Elk Island National Park). so it was not hit by a little rock from a passing car or truck. I was driving below speed limit about 85KM again because of the rain. on the way here, i heard little rocks hit my car 2 days ago in Ontario and Manitoba, but nothing happened then, no crack at that time. so it was quite baffling to me.

I rented the car from Enterprise with Canadian Tire World Elite card, which had collision and damage coverage. I don't know if Enterprise will charge me for this (and how much) and how to deal with the insurance (I don't have my own insurance as I don't currently have a car). Should I call the Enterprise branch where I rented car tomorrow? Another concern is if that crack will become big or even broken, should I ask or will Enterprise change a car for me here in Edmonton?

your advice is very much apppreciated.
Your post is interesting to me, as I had a rental car 3 weeks ago, a rock hit my windshield but did not crack it. So I got lucky there, but I was aware of the risk.

On another point you state you have that credit card Canadian Tire World Elite card, which had collision and damage coverage. The policy is here, and does cover your rental car
https://canadiantire.scene7.com/is/cont ... urance.pdf
But in the policy it has “ This coverage does not provide any form of third party automobile property damage or personal injury liability insurance.”
My understanding of your post is you do not have your own car, hence policy. So if you hit another party, your rental car is covered for damages, but 3rd party damage is not covered.

Do you see my point and/or have I made a mistake in my judgement.

When I rented my car, I had to go and put collision on the vehicle I have, as do not normally have it. And I did that due my understanding of the insurance coverage offered by credit cards, and the advice given to my questions here
what-credit-card-should-i-use-car-renta ... e-2400585/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2967 posts
748 upvotes
Mars
MP3_SKY wrote: You can call and get a replacement and they will rent you another car to continue your trip. But that doesnt mean that they will let go the windshield damage and won't ask you to pay for a new windshield.

How obvious is the crack anyway?
i think pretty obvious, as I was just glancing at the wipes and suddenly out of nowhere there was the crack.