Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8302 posts
1870 upvotes
Ontario

Plug facing upward?

I have a bunch of electronics in a kitchen cabinet, and they are plugged into the outlet below the cabinet. I have a 3 plug adapter but it faces out (like a regular plug), so the cabling is an eyesore.

I am looking for either:
1. A 3-plug adapter with the plug facing UP (so the cables can go straight up cleanly). The only one I saw swiveled up, but it was only a 2 prong (I need a 3 prong grounded type).
2. A small-ish powerbar, with a slim plug that hugs the wall. The only one I've seen have the 3 prong in such a way that it hugs the wall going DOWN, not up. I have a valance so I can hide it there.

I visited every store in my area that would carry something like this but came up empty (HD, Lowes, CDN Tire, Walmart, and even a computer store).

Thanks.
Last edited by onlineharvest on Oct 6th, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Jan 14, 2007
543 posts
175 upvotes
GTA North
With regard to option 2, you could always turn your receptacle upside down (ground on top instead of bottom assuming the wires inside the box are long enough) so the power bar lead now runs up instead of down when plugged in
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4001 posts
429 upvotes
Georgetown
IMHIP2 wrote: With regard to option 2, you could always turn your receptacle upside down (ground on top instead of bottom assuming the wires inside the box are long enough) so the power bar lead now runs up instead of down when plugged in
Had that same thought! LIkely the easiest and cleanest solution.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
166 upvotes
Would this work? You can rotate the 4 outlets 360 degrees. These are available from Home Depot.

This is available from the same company but would need to special order.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4172 posts
3449 upvotes
Toronto
They have these at dollar stores for a couple of bucks:

Although it doesn't point all the way up, perhaps that might help a little bit? Make sure it has a UL hologram sticker on it since a lot of electrical stuff at dollar stores is suspect.

If you've done electrical before, then I would agree with others that flipping the receptacle is cleanest and cheapest. The weird thing is that my house is completely wired with ground on top. Apparently, some electricians think it's safer because if a plug isn't fully inserted and a thin piece of metal slides down the wall and hits the prongs, it'll hit the ground wire instead of causing a short between hot and neutral.