• Jul 21st, 2021 8:50 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 8, 2020
112 posts
22 upvotes
Bc canada

Plumber mistake? See photo

We recently had a Garburator installed. Everything was fine for a couple of weeks and then this morning I had to grab some stuff from underneath the sink. Not that long afterwards I noticed the Garburator had no power. Looked underneath and there seems to be wires exposed. This does not look right at all. I have a feeling that this was not installed properly? One should be able to maneuver around underneath the sink without issues.
Images
  • C8857A32-9770-4A98-866E-DB044FEA3091.jpeg
  • 95627411-853C-47F3-A1E7-8492C01F0384.jpeg
22 replies
Jan 21, 2011
898 posts
385 upvotes
GTA
Easy fix for connector is to get some 3/4” x 1/2” donuts or flat washers. Connector should of been in device. If the manual permits, you probably would of been better off with a whip instead of bx and plug end.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4481 posts
4005 upvotes
Toronto
Probably the plumber didn't tighten the electrical connections enough and you knocked it loose and it wasn't a good install. That nut should be have been on the inside, for example, and hold the wires in place so that someone hitting the BX (ie. metallic) cable won't jostle the connections. The nut is bigger than the hole and no way it could have come out. It looks like he made the connections on the outside and then stuffed it through the hole, not bothering to open it to do the connections properly.
Mar 10, 2012
289 posts
252 upvotes
THORNHILL
Was this a professional install, or a 'Kijiji handyman'?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5247 posts
2697 upvotes
What did the “plumber” say when you called him back?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1305 posts
347 upvotes
Vancouver
Here's mine. no exposed wire on the connection.
Images
  • 20210718_165042848_iOS.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4420 posts
2349 upvotes
Dejavudiva wrote: We recently had a Garburator installed. Everything was fine for a couple of weeks and then this morning I had to grab some stuff from underneath the sink. Not that long afterwards I noticed the Garburator had no power. Looked underneath and there seems to be wires exposed. This does not look right at all. I have a feeling that this was not installed properly? One should be able to maneuver around underneath the sink without issues.
Did the electrical inspector mention anything when they did their inspection?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14799 posts
9531 upvotes
Markham
pootza wrote: Did the electrical inspector mention anything when they did their inspection?
Don't think there's going to be an electrical inspection for this.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jan 21, 2011
898 posts
385 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, plumber made a mistake doing electrical.
Mar 10, 2012
289 posts
252 upvotes
THORNHILL
I checked out the installation manual. They actually show screwing the wire clamp into the hole, but a much smaller clamp. If the hole is small enough that you have to thread the clamp in, you're not going to get far with the type used before you start hitting the lip. Maybe they got the clamp threaded a bit then tried to use the lock nut as a jam nut?

As noted earlier, the choice of BX wire is an odd one...
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4420 posts
2349 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Don't think there's going to be an electrical inspection for this.
A electrical permit would be required and in January 2006, it became law in Ontario that only home owners on title or Licensed Electrical Contractors were permitted to do electrical work in a residential home, I don't think the plumber would be an electrician as well.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14799 posts
9531 upvotes
Markham
pootza wrote: A electrical permit would be required and in January 2006, it became law in Ontario that only home owners on title or Licensed Electrical Contractors were permitted to do electrical work in a residential home, I don't think the plumber would be an electrician as well.
Ok. But I doubt you're going to get a permit to install a garburator.

Perhaps @redarmy can comment.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5247 posts
2697 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Ok. But I doubt you're going to get a permit to install a garburator.

Perhaps @redarmy can comment.
Not sure if it’s required for a Re/Re but it’s definitely required for a new install. Looks like he used electrical tape as opposed to an anti short which I’m not sure is legal anyway.
brianl999 wrote: I checked out the installation manual. They actually show screwing the wire clamp into the hole, but a much smaller clamp. If the hole is small enough that you have to thread the clamp in, you're not going to get far with the type used before you start hitting the lip. Maybe they got the clamp threaded a bit then tried to use the lock nut as a jam nut?

As noted earlier, the choice of BX wire is an odd one...
AFAIK Ac90 or conduit is required within the cabinet
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5692 posts
1741 upvotes
0 downvotes
garburators aka garbige disposal units are often just have a regular appliance wire and are often connected to an electrical outlet installed under the sink. some are hard wired into your hydro, those required a licensed electrician to do the connection, the plumber should only do the plumbing connections unless its a plug in, anyone can plug a plug into an outlet
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2458 posts
396 upvotes
North York
GoodFellaz wrote: garburators aka garbige disposal units are often just have a regular appliance wire and are often connected to an electrical outlet installed under the sink. some are hard wired into your hydro, those required a licensed electrician to do the connection, the plumber should only do the plumbing connections unless its a plug in, anyone can plug a plug into an outlet
The install looks sketchy.

In the second pic you can see the BX go into a yellow plug, I bet if you check the specs it's not rated for use with the BX, and I don't see an anti-short busing in the exposed end. I'd unplug it from the wall and get someone competent in to replace all that wiring work - it's clear they have some, but not enough knowledge to do the job right.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3933 posts
2973 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Ah, Garburators; the service plumber's constant revenue stream.
Those things should be illegal unless you are on a septic system, (because then YOU are footing the bill, not all taxpayers).
Why do you need this? Is there no organic waste pick up in your area? Are you worried about handling the icky-icky from $20 strainers like these?
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12048 posts
1808 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: Ah, Garburators; the service plumber's constant revenue stream.
Those things should be illegal unless you are on a septic system, (because then YOU are footing the bill, not all taxpayers).
Why do you need this? Is there no organic waste pick up in your area? Are you worried about handling the icky-icky from $20 strainers like these?
Damn that's an expensive strainer!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5692 posts
1741 upvotes
0 downvotes
the locking nut should be on the inside of that hole where the wire comes out NOT on the outside. looks like someone botched the install or it was not a new unit and missing the power cord and someone did a MacGyver and rigged their own make shift power cable using armored cable and a make a plug which you buy from Canadian Tire
Hi
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3572 posts
2347 upvotes
Montreal
Since it fell out, might as well just get rid of the BX and swap for cabtire and correct connectors, much more flexible and knock-around resistant.