Home & Garden

PLUMBERS - bath tub drain replaced - standing water around edge of new drain flange?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2022 1:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown

PLUMBERS - bath tub drain replaced - standing water around edge of new drain flange?

Looking for insight from the RFD plumbers and tub drain experiened.

Just curious if having some standing water left around the drain is something to be concerned about. I don't recall the old tub drain having an issue with water sitting around the drain flange, but the new drain leaves what seems to be a significant "moat" of water around the drain.

It almost seems a larger flange would be useful for this particular tub as the depression is fairly large at the drain. I threw away the old drain already (I don't believe it was particularly large).

Perhaps I haven't screwed down the new drain enough (but I don't think that's the case... if anything, I worry I screwed it down too much.

Maybe the replacement drain I used has a thicker flange than the old drain had? It was a "Plumbshop" Bathtub Drain Assembly with 1 1/2" threads.

I'm considering buying another kind to see if it might have a thinner flange (Moen?). I wanted a foot operated drain plug (pop up and down), but may forgo that functionality to just get either a drain with a larger flange, or a thinner flange?

I'm probably worrying about nothing - but I don't like seeing that standing water around the drain.. and thinking it will be there every day... day after day...
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
I think the only option is to find a flange that has a bevel to it.
That looks like an acrylic tub. If there's a name on it, you may be able to find the matching flange that was meant to be used with that tub.
Why did you replace it in the first place?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
MrFrugal1 wrote: I think the only option is to find a flange that has a bevel to it.
That looks like an acrylic tub. If there's a name on it, you may be able to find the matching flange that was meant to be used with that tub.
Why did you replace it in the first place?
It’s a porcelain enamelled steel tub. The old drain was in horrible shape and looked horrific - it had to go. It was a huge pain to remove… the crossbars broke off…I had to get the plug style drain removal tool, preheat the drain… then use a breaker bar to get it moving. Fun stuff. It’s a Cranada tub (American Standard I believe)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Tiberius wrote: It’s a porcelain enamelled steel tub. The old drain was in horrible shape and looked horrific - it had to go. It was a huge pain to remove… the crossbars broke off…I had to get the plug style drain removal tool, preheat the drain… then use a breaker bar to get it moving. Fun stuff. It’s a Cranada tub (American Standard I believe)
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Cranada was associated with American Standard.
That's crazy you had to use a breaker bar to get it out. Only further suggestion I can offer is to go to a local plumbing supply house that has a retail counter and ask if have a reasonable facsimile to the original. Woolsley in my area are pretty friendly
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
4224 posts
5534 upvotes
I have same issue, from builder. Also bad caulking on mine, to make it worse. Always turns pink quickly, FYI for you if you leave it. Pain. I've never bothered to try to fix...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Mine does the same, but I don't see a little bit of standing water as any kind of issue.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1682 posts
1580 upvotes
Etobicoke
That looks like 5-10 ml of water....practically nothing. I would not worry about it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
Tiberius wrote: I'm probably worrying about nothing - but I don't like seeing that standing water around the drain.. and thinking it will be there every day... day after day...
Apply some clear (or whatever color) silicone caulking to fill in the moat.
Or simply after you're finished toweling off suck up the water with a facecloth or your towel and everything will be hunky-dory.
It will be like putting the toilet seat cover down after you finished your business ... just an extra step in your routine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)