Careers

Plumber's union aptitude test

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2017 4:06 pm
[OP]
Aug 27, 2017
2 posts

Plumber's union aptitude test

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone out there has taken the mechanical aptitude test for entry into a plumber's union? I was told that it was similar to the firefighters exam and mostly common sense but I want to be as prepared as possible because it's the first step in the application process. I've been studying spatial reasoning and basic math but was wondering if I should be focusing on anything else.
4 replies
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
899 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
plumber union has aptitude test? I hadn't realize it exist
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1565 posts
1326 upvotes
Toronto
I did this test in 2015.
I failed and did not meet the 75% passing grade.
At that point though I didn't really care since I already got into the electrical union as a per-apprentice.

It is not an easy test.
The time limit is very tight.
You have very little time to think about individual questions.

There will be English comprehension questions, that test your reading ability.
You can't really study for this.

There are questions about depth perception and shapes of objects.
They will give you a finished 3d object and ask you to identify the unfinished object when it is flattened out in 2d.

There will be math questions in the form of estimating length, area and volume.
There was a question about flow past a point for a given opening.

The test was not easy.
Brush up on your basic math, that's the most you can do. Study forumalas for volume and area of various shapes.

Good luck.
I don't mean to be discouraging but this is not the best time to getting into a trade.
ICI is way down, unless you are doing high-rise or low-rise, I have no idea about those sectors.
[OP]
Aug 27, 2017
2 posts
Thanks for your reply! I tried the electrician's union here too, they have an aptitude test as well but aren't even letting people take it because they've had people on the list for 2 years apparently. I know my timing isn't the best but I want to get trained before the shortage of retirees hits. If the union doesn't pan out I was going to try finding private sponsor but was told I should start at the union
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1565 posts
1326 upvotes
Toronto
Which local did you try?
If you are in some of the outside locals in might be worth your time to apply for Toronto local.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)