Plumbing - 1/2'' flex braided hose with best water flow

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 8:21 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
288 posts
177 upvotes

Plumbing - 1/2'' flex braided hose with best water flow

I need flex braided water hose (about 24'' lenght) that has 1/2'' ends and has best water flow rate. When I look at braided hoses sold at HomeDepot, even connectors are 1/2'', internal diameter is much smaller, so I am afraid this will affect water flow rate. I will be using this flow to connect from 1/2'' copper pipe to 1/2'' bath tub filler faucet connector. Do such flex hoses exists? Where could I buy them?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2989 posts
1236 upvotes
You are unlikely to find anything specifically with a significantly larger tube ID than any off the shelf length with the correct ends for your needs. Bathtubs always take a fairly long time to fill anyway....
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5001 posts
1385 upvotes
Kitchener
How much flex do you need? Would 1/2" plastic pex be flexible enough?
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
288 posts
177 upvotes
Drthorne wrote: How much flex do you need? Would 1/2" plastic pex be flexible enough?
Bathtub height is 21.5'', so I think I need about 24'' of flex pipe. Do you think 1/2'' pex would have more flow than steel braided hose? I saw an issue with pex as connectors have fairly small ID, so they would limit flow.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
288 posts
177 upvotes
My old bathtub faucet was able to fill about 4 gpm. Would 1/2'' flex braided hose support such flow? I cannot find this answer online.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10184 posts
2804 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hmm 1/2" copper can only sustain 3gpm, PEX about 2.5, what exactly are you trying to do? Why does your bathtub needs a flex hose?!

Best flow...3/4" garden hose lol
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2989 posts
1236 upvotes
Is the supply you are installing going to be hidden? or open to view? If open, stainless flex line, or chromed steel will look best (like a clawfoot tub bathtub filler), but if hidden, continue the run with copper or pex. I don't think we understand what you are trying to accomplish, personally I never have heard of a situation where braided line needs to be used for a tub filler, as they are generally only used for toilets or under sinks and vanities.

want to clear up the confusion? got a photo or two?
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
288 posts
177 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: Hmm 1/2" copper can only sustain 3gpm, PEX about 2.5, what exactly are you trying to do? Why does your bathtub needs a flex hose?!
Best flow...3/4" garden hose lol
fieldhousehandyman wrote: Is the supply you are installing going to be hidden? or open to view? If open, stainless flex line, or chromed steel will look best (like a clawfoot tub bathtub filler), but if hidden, continue the run with copper or pex. I don't think we understand what you are trying to accomplish, personally I never have heard of a situation where braided line needs to be used for a tub filler, as they are generally only used for toilets or under sinks and vanities.

want to clear up the confusion? got a photo or two?
I am installing freestanding tub with deck mounted faucet. This flex hose will be hidden as freestanding tub has outside skirt and inside tub, so hose will be in between. So coper goes under the floor up to point where bathtub will stand. From the floor up to faucet there will be flex hose. It needs to be flex as you need to lift tub, connect hose and then put tub back in place.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10184 posts
2804 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Get an adapter? 1/2" to 3/4"? Most 1/2" connector flex are used for faucets, thus the small ID.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
288 posts
177 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: Get an adapter? 1/2" to 3/4"? Most 1/2" connector flex are used for faucets, thus the small ID.
Thank you! I will look into this option.

Are there any comporisons on how much water flow can be achieved with 1/2 vs 3/4 flex hose?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1922 posts
363 upvotes
'sauga
I'd imagine the tub faucet cartridges would be the limiting factor here, not the diameter of the supply lines. Just keep the supply lines as short as possible.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
288 posts
177 upvotes
abstract808 wrote: I'd imagine the tub faucet cartridges would be the limiting factor here, not the diameter of the supply lines. Just keep the supply lines as short as possible.
Tub faucet is designed for up to 5gpm so it is not limiting factor. I have 1/2'' copper lines coming from the floor, and they can support 3.2gpm. So theoretically if both cold and hot tap is open, faucet could become a limiting factor (3.2 hot + 3.2 cold = 6.4gpm total).
But real issue is flex hose that has internal diameter just 3/8''. I talked to plumbing store employees yesterday and they said that is known issue with deck mounted faucets and all flex hoses are 3/8 inside diameter with just different connectors (1/2'', 3/4'', males, females, etc..).
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2989 posts
1236 upvotes
I don't think there is an effective solution to your issue. I suppose one has to live with slow filling specialty roman or freestanding tubs. I put in a clawfoot tub supplied by half inch pex, so as much flow as my walk in shower (only limited by fixture valves) and even then, I start filling it ten or fifteen minutes before anyone gets in. Honestly, a typical tub is at least thirty or forty gallons (my clawfoot is 180 litres to the overflow) and they are going to take a while to fill.