Careers

Plumbing career

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2022 3:23 pm
Jan 26, 2021
19 posts
20 upvotes

Plumbing career

I finished high school about a year ago I’m thinking about pursuing a trade specifically plumbing. Anybody nice enough to share what the steps would be to become a licensed plumber and how would I start ? I have some but not a lot of experience using power tools. I like to work with my hands and I do drive and have strong communication skills. Is anyone nice enough to give me some info or help me somehow ? I appreciate it thanks. Do I need to pursue a collage program for mechanical techniques first or do I seek an apprenticeship etc. Anybody nice enough to give me some info? I’m located in Ontario.
64 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
1178 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
I would avoid any college programs as it does not guarantee any job. I would seek an apprenticeship directly. Check out UA Local 46 or your own area's local and see if they are taking in any new apprentices.
buffylover wrote: im pretty sure thincrust hates you
Jan 26, 2021
19 posts
20 upvotes
Thank you for your reply, now as for “locals hiring apprentices” do you just call around and ask or send them an email etc? Someone else also told me to keep calling the union until they’re willing to take me in. I do not have any experience in plumbing would it still be a good idea to call the union? I just want to get into the career and I think it’s a good time because I’m still young and not even 22 yet.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
Musiclover2000 wrote: Thank you for your reply, now as for “locals hiring apprentices” do you just call around and ask or send them an email etc? Someone else also told me to keep calling the union until they’re willing to take me in. I do not have any experience in plumbing would it still be a good idea to call the union? I just want to get into the career and I think it’s a good time because I’m still young and not even 22 yet.
Check this out:
https://www.ualocal46.org/training/application-process
Jan 26, 2021
19 posts
20 upvotes
Thank you for your reply, I did check and got excited for a second but then I scrolled down and it says “application intake closed” bummer.
Sep 30, 2020
345 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
Musiclover2000 wrote: Thank you for your reply, I did check and got excited for a second but then I scrolled down and it says “application intake closed” bummer.
Well, at least it says this "Do not call or visit the office as this page will be the most up-to-date source of intake information. When an intake has been scheduled the date will appear on this page." I suggest you check the page regularly or set up a daily alert on a tool like https://visualping.io/ which can notify you if a web page changes content. :) In the meantime, I suggest trying some other avenues - make a list of a few plumbing firms locally or across the province, and doesn't hurt to call or E-mail them to ask about scheduling an "informational interview" or "advice on how to get into the trade", etc. - you might even get some thoughts back by E-mail. And remember, don't take it personally if they say "We don't really do that" or "We're too busy" or "Can't help you" or entirely ignore the approach - a stressful time when people worrying about their own occupations and futures, maybe they really are busy, maybe they had past poor experiences with co-op students or apprentices, etc. You *will* eventually find someone in that field willing to help someone get started. Maybe even look at recently retired plumbers, maybe connected with those companies (so ask if they have any that they could pass your name onto) or the union angle - they might have a bit of time to chat.
Jan 26, 2021
19 posts
20 upvotes
Thank you for your insight. I’ve tried messaging a few guys on Kijiji and posted an ad if anyone is a kind soul to help me out. I will also email some places in the meantime and if any of them are nice enough to help me out. I will also keep checking the union site.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
Electrical intake is happening, maybe.
Union Plumbers make a little more, but our dental is better. Face With Tears Of Joy
http://electricalapprenticeship.ca/

Trades colleges are a waste of money.
Start calling plumbing companies.
You'd be surprised.
Jan 26, 2021
19 posts
20 upvotes
I’ve thought about HVAC and electrical but the dangers are far more. In HVAC gas lines are dangerous to work on and a minor mistake can cause a disaster. With electrical working on main lines is dangerous and risky in my opinion, with plumbing it seems less risky. One injury can scar you permanently and perhaps that can lead to never being able to walk again. I’d rather pursue plumbing. Can you give me some more insight with electrical ?

As for calling places I’ve started doing that. Also emailing lots of places. I haven’t gotten much anywhere yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't say any of those are more dangerous than any of the other ones.
The biggest danger is falls.
All the trades are exposed to that fairly evenly (except maybe tiling).
These are controlled by using lifts or bucket trucks/ cherry pickers, approved scaffolding etc.
Also through use of mandatory fall arrest etc.
This could be an issue if you work for a cheap company.

The second danger is probably lifting heavy objects and hurting yourself.
All the trades are exposed to that fairly equally.

Electric hazards are not a large factor in new construction.
99% of the work is done with the power switched off, or not even yet connected upstream.
There are safeguards to prevent accidents, including lockout and tagout and commissioning of a system.
The biggest danger is a cavalier attitude of the worker themselves; working live when they don't have to or not wearing appropriate arc flash protection.
Also not testing the circuit they are working on.

Maintenance is a whole different ballgame. I know nothing about maintenance but I imagine the electrical risks are greater.

The best advice I can offer is that you can always walk away from a bad situation before you get into one.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1622 posts
1206 upvotes
Ripley
I know this sounds weird telling someone in their 20s.....I have kids your age.....call plumbers. Use google to find out every plumbing company within an hour of you (if you’re willing to commute that far). Call them between 10:30am and noon. Ask every friend and family member you have if they have connections. Ask your parents to ask their friends for connections.

My son got his mechanic apprenticeship by going to every dealership with a resume. Got hired at the 8th place but they hired him on the spot.

Tradespeople want people who want a job. Posting online doesn’t work for these types of jobs.

My husband started out in construction and a plumber saw him working and offered him a job.

Starting with a union is great but you can always switch to a union later on.

And a lot of companies are plumbing and HVAC. Don’t tell them you don’t want to do HVAC.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
zeddy wrote: I know this sounds weird telling someone in their 20s.....I have kids your age.....call plumbers. Use google to find out every plumbing company within an hour of you (if you’re willing to commute that far). Call them between 10:30am and noon. Ask every friend and family member you have if they have connections. Ask your parents to ask their friends for connections.

My son got his mechanic apprenticeship by going to every dealership with a resume. Got hired at the 8th place but they hired him on the spot.

Tradespeople want people who want a job. Posting online doesn’t work for these types of jobs.

My husband started out in construction and a plumber saw him working and offered him a job.

Starting with a union is great but you can always switch to a union later on.

And a lot of companies are plumbing and HVAC. Don’t tell them you don’t want to do HVAC.
Nothing wrong with HVAC. It's probably a better trade than plumber in my opinion.
Unless it's residential.

But yes. This is probably the best advice. Start phoning around, then start knocking on doors when this Corona nonsense is over.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1769 posts
1901 upvotes
Toronto
For those that are in plumbing. How strong/fit do you have to be?

I'm in good shape, run everyday, but if I work with tools, and have to bend and squeeze in tight spaces, it kinda tires me out.
Jul 22, 2015
291 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Friend walked into a plumbing company and gave a pitch to the owner to hire him as an apprentice but he got hired as a helper instead. 8 months later, they started him on his apprentice journey.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
At, 20 even if you are a bit out of shape or fat, you quickly lose it from working.
A few months of schlepping pipe and material around you quickly get in shape.

It's all about attitude i think.
If you want to make and strive to make it, you will make it.
If you are the smartest, strongest, etc, and you don't want to make it, you won't make it.
This is universal to any trade I think.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
Musiclover2000 wrote: I’ve thought about HVAC and electrical but the dangers are far more. In HVAC gas lines are dangerous to work on and a minor mistake can cause a disaster. With electrical working on main lines is dangerous and risky in my opinion, with plumbing it seems less risky. One injury can scar you permanently and perhaps that can lead to never being able to walk again. I’d rather pursue plumbing. Can you give me some more insight with electrical ?

As for calling places I’ve started doing that. Also emailing lots of places. I haven’t gotten much anywhere yet.
Go to the Home and Garden section on RFD, there’s a plumbing thread. I think the guy who opened is a plumber, you should ask him for advice on how to get in and other tips.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2015
5770 posts
7830 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
My advice is @Musiclover2000
●do not goto college for a trade. It's a waste of time and money. Apply online. get hired and experience that way
●have a good attitude
●be diligent
●stay of your god damn phone! Even to change Musical Notemusic (that will slow your production down)
●show up 15 minutes early before your shift
●don't be afraid to ask questions
●you can tough it out or not. You decide.
●lots of old school mentality from bosses (slowly phasing out). Will scream and/or throw tools at you. No joke!
●sucks working in cold/wet weather. Touching Cast iron pipe or fittings. Makes your fingers really effin cold. Wind will make u freeze your butt off
●Heat sucks too. Stay hydrated and protect your skin! Dehydration causes you to lose focus
●you breath in all kinds of dust. SILICA dust is from concrete which is cancer causing. Wear a respirator.
●safety comes first. Sometime your foreman or the guy you work with will tell you to do something even if it's unsafe. If you don't do it. You will get teased etc... thats a place or person I wouldn't wanna work with.
●safety comes first. If it's unsafe. Don't do it!
●safety comes first. If your unsure. Ask! U don't get a proper answer. Don't do it!
●you start out loading unloading pipes and parts that come to the job site.
●gotta do some shoveling work deep into the earth. (Depends if it's a tower or condos) pray it's warm outside haha.
●once your comfortable with the task. And arent learning anything new. Ask to learn different stuff or jump companies. Best way to learn Hundred Points Symbol
●lots of idiots work in construction
●lots of bright/normal people too
●working with a good crew is obviously better.

●electricians work is fairly light than plumbers
●plumbers got heavy pipes
●hvac is good. You will always be covered by a roof

I'm sure there's more. Ask me here or PM me

I'm currently in the path you wanna get into. Been plumbing for 3 years now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
A lot of answers and they may not be applicable to you though.
Here's my take based on 2 siblings who were in plumbing and electrical before moving up.

1. Do go to college!

2. Do not listen to people saying do not go and call instead. It worked 20 years ago and not so much these days. Do you know your chances of getting that? You are competing against 10 guys who did go or have solid experience already. On top of that, you are out of high school, you have no experience of any kind in these trades, taking you would be an investment for anyone and most will not do it unless they know you!! Yes, occasionally some company may INVEST in you, but it's likely if you are much older AND have experience in the field!! You are competing with college graduates and as much as it is not the best way to learn, it's the best course of action for you.

3. You need some college education. You are likely to regret it if you don't go anywhere and it is very likely to affect your future positions, including moving up. Imagine getting this plumber job at a company and then wanting to have more management role or even some kind of unrelated role. Well, a company is likely to want you to have some kind( could be any kind) of post secondary education. Same thing if in 10, 20, 30 years you will want to switch careers( very likely, lots do that). You will be in a greater disadvantage, competing with others who had more education.

4. Again, you are out of school, young, with no experience. Go to college, learn, make friends and future connections and get the useless paper that is likely to help you later on. So, one of my brothers realized after graduating that he is not into it. He worked for 2 years in the plumbing industry then used went back to school to further his education. Works for government in the trades. We all knew people who got trade jobs with no education, yes it still happens, but not likely to those with no experience in the trades. I knew plumbers who got the apprenticeships but they had years of experience fixing their own plumbing and their friends, etc; I knew a guy who got a job in a mechanic shop, but he had been fixing his own cars for nearly 10 years. I knew a guy who got electrician apprenticeship, but he worked in construction and renovation for 5 years. See a pattern? They all had something to offer.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Musiclover2000 wrote: I’ve thought about HVAC and electrical but the dangers are far more. In HVAC gas lines are dangerous to work on and a minor mistake can cause a disaster. With electrical working on main lines is dangerous and risky in my opinion, with plumbing it seems less risky. One injury can scar you permanently and perhaps that can lead to never being able to walk again. I’d rather pursue plumbing. Can you give me some more insight with electrical ?

lol..I would stick with music.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)