Home & Garden

Plumbing fixture installation

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2019 7:38 pm
[OP]
Aug 2, 2019
2 posts

Plumbing fixture installation

2 part question. 1. If I wanted to hire someone to install or replace some toilets and/or sinks in my business or home, do I need to hire a licensed plumber or can I just hire a person with the know how? 2. Also if they don't need to be licensed can the installer be legally running a fixture installing company? Thank you in advance.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16890 posts
7181 upvotes
You need to post your location - requirements to install plumbing fixtures could potentially vary by location. I would assume most cities do not require a permit to install fixtures in existing locations, but might be best to post your location and be sure. If no permit is required you could technically hire anyone to do it, however if you are hiring someone who is not a plumbing and is negligent in their work there may be issues with liability down the road in the event of a problem.

I personally do not think there is such a thing as a "fixture installing company", or at least that's not a normal company to operate. However is no permits were required to install fixtures then yes, you may be able to legally install fixtures without being a plumber.

Above all else make sure that whoever you hire has the appropriate insurance in case of a problem. This would likely limit it to a reputable company who is using an actual plumber.
[OP]
Aug 2, 2019
2 posts
My location is Ontario, Canada. Thanks for responding trevor
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16890 posts
7181 upvotes
HappyChad wrote: My location is Ontario, Canada. Thanks for responding trevor
I don't want to seem demanding, but it depends on the city you're in. For example in Toronto you are able to replace existing fixtures without a permit:
https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... ng-permit/
But it's a city-by-city thing. I assume most cities allow this but do not want to speak out of line if you live in one that does not. You should find this out first before proceeding.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1982 posts
241 upvotes
Mississauga
if you are paying somebody...and you don't have the knowledge to tweak or fix minor things...pay a license plumber to do the work
Aug 31, 2012
555 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
Even though you don’t need a permit I would use a licensed plumber. I have seen handymen mess things up like a simple faucet install. Better to pay once.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10331 posts
2933 upvotes
toilets are super easy OP. its 2 bolts, a wax ring, and a compression fit water long.

turn off water, undo water line at toilets.
take 2 bolts off
lift toilet off, scrap wax ring off floor if needed.
put new toilet and wax ring in place
put bolts on
put water line back on, turn water on.
done

as for permits, homeowner can pull permits, the person doing the work does not need qualified. and I would not pull permits for a toilet or sink replacement. this stuff is so minor.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3835 posts
852 upvotes
centre of universe
rocking23nf wrote: toilets are super easy OP. its 2 bolts, a wax ring, and a compression fit water long.

turn off water, undo water line at toilets.
take 2 bolts off
lift toilet off, scrap wax ring off floor if needed.
put new toilet and wax ring in place
put bolts on
put water line back on, turn water on.
done

as for permits, homeowner can pull permits, the person doing the work does not need qualified. and I would not pull permits for a toilet or sink replacement. this stuff is so minor.
agree. It is not that difficult. You should be able o do it as long as you can lift it. Literally just now I just finished mine. Its just heavy so I have to separate tank and bowl. Found that the flange is bit broken.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5011 posts
1390 upvotes
Kitchener
Maplesugar25 wrote: Even though you don’t need a permit I would use a licensed plumber. I have seen handymen mess things up like a simple faucet install. Better to pay once.
and I've seen licensed plumbers do shoddy work. I had to replace a leaking sink for a friend of mine last week that was installed by a plumber 2 years ago. he only used putty to keep the sink in place and no clamps.