• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2020 7:29 pm
[OP]
Mar 8, 2016
46 posts
4 upvotes

Plumbing help - New drain leaks from slip nut connecting brass to PVC - help

Hey guys,

I followed all the instructions, watched all the videos, but my lack of plumbing skills are apparent. I installed a new drain assembly in my kitchen sink. When I tested it I was so happy no leaks! Until I filled the basin, removed the stopper and water came from the slip nut area. The leak is in the location circled in the picture. Only happens when the tub is full and runs out.

Do I need a new slip nut? A washer (note there is no washer in the slip nut, never was)? Do you see anything wrong with my install? If you think I need new parts could you name them for me so I can get the right thing from the store (size too).

Thanks in advance for your guidance everyone.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
The main thing I see wrong is that you cannot install a tee wye on its back in a drainage system.

The leak could be a few things, the trap adapter but/ washer or the threads on the trap adapter could be cracked from over tightening. The type of adapter used here (the white piece) has the Poly flanged washer built into the nut
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Mar 8, 2016
46 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks Red. I'll add it to the list of things the idiot homeowner before me did wrong. Sigh...

I'm thinking the trap adapter may be the culprit as I moved it to the other side of the sink and it leaked there too...

I'll go buy another trap adapter (the white piece) and try that - You think I should get a full new hub (black) or just the slip joint (white)

Forgive my not knowing what things are called.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
theodigital wrote: Thanks Red. I'll add it to the list of things the idiot homeowner before me did wrong. Sigh...

I'm thinking the trap adapter may be the culprit as I moved it to the other side of the sink and it leaked there too...

I'll go buy another trap adapter (the white piece) and try that - You think I should get a full new hub (black) or just the slip joint (white)

Forgive my not knowing what things are called.
I would remove it an examine the threads. Over tightening these often results in a hair line split, especially at the seam
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2373 posts
1683 upvotes
Toronto
I'm confused by your post, you say there was no washer what do you mean by this? There should be a gasket in there.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: I'm confused by your post, you say there was no washer what do you mean by this? There should be a gasket in there.
It’s built into the nut
[OP]
Mar 8, 2016
46 posts
4 upvotes
I’ll take a picture.

When I saw some YouTube videos it seemed like there was a washer. When I look at the white piece doesn’t look like there is anything. But as Red said maybe it was overtightened. Either way I’ll just go buy a new couple of white pieces from HD.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
theodigital wrote: I’ll take a picture.

When I saw some YouTube videos it seemed like there was a washer. When I look at the white piece doesn’t look like there is anything. But as Red said maybe it was overtightened. Either way I’ll just go buy a new couple of white pieces from HD.
If it was over tightened and the thread compromised you would have to replace the entire piece. Take it apart first and inspect
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2373 posts
1683 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: It’s built into the nut
In the post they said there wasn't one there which is why I asked what they meant.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: In the post they said there wasn't one there which is why I asked what they meant.
Thats because it’s built into the nut, I’ve explained this twice. An amateur such as the OP won’t recognize this at first glance
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2373 posts
1683 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: Thats because it’s built into the nut, I’ve explained this twice. An amateur such as the OP won’t recognize this at first glance
Built in doesn't mean it isn't removable, perhaps during install the OP removed it or someone was messing with the pieces in store.
Last edited by WMPCOT on Jan 3rd, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: Built in doesn't mean it isn't removable, perhaps during install the OP removed it or someone was messing with the pieces in store.
That’s exactly what it means
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2373 posts
1683 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: That’s exactly what it means
I have a feeling we aren't talking about the same thing here. I'm talking about the reducing washer/slip nut washer between the drain pipes I do not think that the OP installed this.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2521 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: I have a feeling we aren't talking about the same thing here. I'm talking about the reducing washer/slip nut washer between the drain pipes I do not think that the OP installed this.
If you’re referring to the tailpiece nut then you’re looking at the wrong spot. The leak is below the trap adapter nut at the thread