Home & Garden

Plumbing inspection deficiency

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2021 5:21 am
[OP]
Apr 23, 2021
2 posts

Plumbing inspection deficiency

I need help with deficiency notice saying kitchen sink needs clean out downstream of trap.. kitchen sink drain cannot be a tee wye drain on horizontal WC
Images
  • 20210423_225834.jpg
4 replies
Jan 21, 2011
743 posts
303 upvotes
GTA
You have a clean out at bottom of trap. Other way to do it is to put a wye after the trap on the horizontal pipe before it hit the wall with a clean out on top. I am not a %100 sure about the t-wye part, but what you have looks fine.

Who is telling you that it’s wrong?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4256 posts
2159 upvotes
Manvinder wrote: I need help with deficiency notice saying kitchen sink needs clean out downstream of trap.. kitchen sink drain cannot be a tee wye drain on horizontal WC
The inspector is correct on using the TY in that position.

Regarding the trap:

(3) Except for a floor-mounted service sink, every trap that serves a lavatory, a sink or a laundry tray shall,
(a) be provided with a cleanout plug of a minimum ¾ in. size located at the lowest point of the trap and of the same material as the trap, except that a cast iron trap shall be provided with a brass cleanout plug,
(b) be designed so that the trap dip can be completely removed for cleaning purposes, or
(c) be provided with a cleanout installed above the floor as close as practical downstream of the trap when the trap is,
(i) installed below the floor, and
(ii) not readily accessible for cleaning as required by Clause (a).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5224 posts
2656 upvotes
pootza wrote: The inspector is correct on using the TY in that position.

Regarding the trap:

(3) Except for a floor-mounted service sink, every trap that serves a lavatory, a sink or a laundry tray shall,
(a) be provided with a cleanout plug of a minimum ¾ in. size located at the lowest point of the trap and of the same material as the trap, except that a cast iron trap shall be provided with a brass cleanout plug,
(b) be designed so that the trap dip can be completely removed for cleaning purposes, or
(c) be provided with a cleanout installed above the floor as close as practical downstream of the trap when the trap is,
(i) installed below the floor, and
(ii) not readily accessible for cleaning as required by Clause (a).
The code you referenced is in regards to the trap itself. The trap itself that is pictured meets code, although a union trap would be preferred

This is the code that the inspector is referencing in regards to the downstream cleanout

(10) A cleanout shall be installed on a trap arm serving a kitchen sink as close as practical to the trap outlet and shall be readily accessible.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide