1633 posts
1804 upvotes
Vancouver
bball2 wrote: Thanks OP, something I had meaning to work towards for a while

Anyone have issues downloading the PMBOK guide? Page says:

"You have access to this because you are a PMI member. Enjoy!"

Clicking the download link takes me to a page that says:

"Only PMI Members are permitted to download documents."
It doesn't let you use the download link until several days after you pay for your membership. I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Their system is slow to update the records.
Nov 23, 2008
312 posts
230 upvotes
This post came at a good time! I have been meaning to get my PMP but beyond looking at requirements and cost + news of a new PMBOK edition, I kept putting it off. I don't need a PMP for work but it will good a good investment for future employments.
Apr 4, 2013
239 posts
225 upvotes
Montr
Whats the cheapest way to get “ 35 hours of project management education/training or CAPM® Certification” ???
Frankie3s wrote: If you're a student you can get a full PMI membership with all the same advantages of a regular membership for $32, https://www.pmi.org/membership/student

Before you apply, make sure you meet of the following sets of PMP Certification requirements:

A four-year degree
36 months leading projects
35 hours of project management education/training or CAPM® Certification
— OR —
A high school diploma or an associate’s degree (or global equivalent)
60 months leading projects
35 hours of project management education/training or CAPM® Certification

https://www.pmi.org/certifications/proj ... gement-pmp

Something to be aware of if you're unemployed and are hoping to use this as a stepping stone into employment.
Nov 17, 2006
348 posts
580 upvotes
sunnysidesolutions wrote: It doesn't let you use the download link until several days after you pay for your membership. I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Their system is slow to update the records.
Thanks, good to know!
Nov 9, 2003
853 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
angel_wing0 wrote: Wow didnt know that. Would be great if you can show me where that website is!
You can go to the ProjectManagement.com website, login using your PMI.org credentials and watch a bunch of free PDU-earning webinars here: https://www.projectmanagement.com/Webin ... Demand.cfm. The PDUs get recorded directly to your PMI account towards your PMP too, so it's super convenient. I'm not a paying PMI member and I have access to them, so hopefully it helps out anyone else who needs their PDUs.
Jan 3, 2018
124 posts
51 upvotes
skewpar wrote: Any idea when this promotion ends?
Would like to know this aswell. I dont have time to sign up today but will probably sign up for the weekend. I was planning to sit for the exam before the yr runs out.
Jul 26, 2020
2 posts
sunnysidesolutions wrote: So I missed this deal on the PMI Membership discount because I had already purchased the membership and started my application to take the PMP exam last month.

But I found a discount code that takes an additional $105.30 off the fees for the PMP exam itself (on top of the membership discount). So if you take OP's deal the PMI Membership will cost you $61.50 USD, and then using this code the PMP Exam is $299.xx USD + tax
The code is AFPMP26PCT

Note that you cannot pay for the exam until after you apply and they review your work experience, etc to give approval to pay and schedule the exam.
Thank you! Both the promo codes worked for me and it was very timely as I had started to prepare for the exam.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1301 posts
311 upvotes
Has this membership ever previously been on sale? My pmp doesn't expire until Jun 2023 and was hoping to wait closer to that date before signing up for PMI.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
2244 posts
126 upvotes
Mississauga
i stopped renewing my certificate. way too many bad PM with PMP certs out there now

i dont think there's any benefit in becoming a pmi member either. if you working in a big company they should pay for your renewal.
the last 2 places i worked had free learning materials like skillsoft that provides pdu courses
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3569 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP! Got the membership.

However, doesn't seem like I can download the guide... gives me an error saying it's for PMI members.
Mar 23, 2004
45863 posts
11696 upvotes
Markham
Derringdo wrote: You can go to the ProjectManagement.com website, login using your PMI.org credentials and watch a bunch of free PDU-earning webinars here: https://www.projectmanagement.com/Webin ... Demand.cfm. The PDUs get recorded directly to your PMI account towards your PMP too, so it's super convenient. I'm not a paying PMI member and I have access to them, so hopefully it helps out anyone else who needs their PDUs.
Huge thanks for that. Going to be watching 50 PDUs worth of videos before end of year @@ How long does it take for the PDUs to get recorded? watched a few but not credited yet.

IMO, the membership is great for PMP exam takers with the discount (if your company is not paying for it). But once you have the PMP, the membership would be more useful if it's a one time fee (instead of annual), and/or if having the membership can lower the PDU requirement. Getting the PMBOK PDF is a good deal, but I would prefer a physical version.
Nov 17, 2003
477 posts
51 upvotes
DuDe1411 wrote: i stopped renewing my certificate. way too many bad PM with PMP certs out there now

i dont think there's any benefit in becoming a pmi member either. if you working in a big company they should pay for your renewal.
the last 2 places i worked had free learning materials like skillsoft that provides pdu courses
Much like all non-"life in hands" certificates/accreditations, these are created solely to monetize something that doesn't need to be. I've dealt with large numbers of PMs, and Six Sigma folks that ended up either outright failing projects, having project due dates double in months or years, and worse yet budgets having to far exceed what was calculated at the start. Both certified and not PMs, Green to Black belted Sigmas.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1309 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto
does anyone know what the requirements are for the 35hr class session? I took my class in 2012 (lol). Can it still qualify for my PMP if i pursue it today?
Apr 23, 2014
814 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP, was planning on getting it next month as i plan to get CAPM before PMP.

Not able to download book after paying. Still telling me to join PMI.....
Nov 9, 2003
853 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
angel_wing0 wrote: Huge thanks for that. Going to be watching 50 PDUs worth of videos before end of year @@ How long does it take for the PDUs to get recorded? watched a few but not credited yet.

IMO, the membership is great for PMP exam takers with the discount (if your company is not paying for it). But once you have the PMP, the membership would be more useful if it's a one time fee (instead of annual), and/or if having the membership can lower the PDU requirement. Getting the PMBOK PDF is a good deal, but I would prefer a physical version.
I recall the PDUs were credited pretty quickly, like within an hour or two, max one day later. Are you logged in and watching them all the way through, no skipping?
Mar 23, 2004
45863 posts
11696 upvotes
Markham
Derringdo wrote: I recall the PDUs were credited pretty quickly, like within an hour or two, max one day later. Are you logged in and watching them all the way through, no skipping?
Yip no skipping at all! Just checked my profile and notice this:
All auto-reported Education PDUs will be automatically submitted to PMI. PDUs are typically batched to PMI within 48-72 hours. Please allow 7-10 days processing time.
At the bottom it shows all the webinars that I have watched, so I should get the PDUs.
Apr 20, 2006
124 posts
91 upvotes
Does anyone know if the the online project management courses offered by Coursera or Udemy can be used as proof of the 35 contact hours of training?
Nov 9, 2020
118 posts
297 upvotes
Maple
abdlc wrote: Does anyone know if the the online project management courses offered by Coursera or Udemy can be used as proof of the 35 contact hours of training?
Yes it can, provided you produce a certificate from said course stating that you completed it. Generally these courses offer one at the end of watching all the videos.
Do you need it or do you want it?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
1633 posts
1804 upvotes
Vancouver
vanclty wrote: Thanks OP, was planning on getting it next month as i plan to get CAPM before PMP.

Not able to download book after paying. Still telling me to join PMI.....
If you have the work experience, wouldn't bother with the CAPM. Just go straight for the PMP.
The downloads become available several days after your pay for your membership - their website/profile updates are slow.