Careers

PMP Exam Prep - PMBOK v5 ( Project Management Professional (PMP)®)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2014 10:52 pm

Poll: Is this POST useful for your PMP exam prep?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Aug 20, 2014
7 posts
Guelph, ON

PMP Exam Prep - PMBOK v5 ( Project Management Professional (PMP)®)

Hi Folks,

Since I didn't find a specific forum on RFD for PMP exam prep so I thought I'd create one. I am starting to prepare for my PMP exam. As Project Managers we all know that a PMP designation does not necessarily make one a "better" PM but it is becoming a must in the various industries for all employers. The purpose of this thread would be to discuss:

- Requirements for the exam
- Challenges
- Application process
- Tips & Tricks to study for the exam
- Exam content
- Any study material (ebooks, exam CBTs etc)
- PMPs who recently wrote their exam sharing their experience and areas of knowledge that came up in their exam
- Above and all - PMs collaborating to study and get PMP certified

In the coming weeks I'll be adding more info on this thread and will highly appreciate feedback from everyone else as well
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1562 posts
76 upvotes
Maple
I took the test about a year ago, just before PMBOK 5 came out, so feel free to shoot any questions my way. I did a 4 day bootcamp, and the exam on the 5th day. I would strongly suggest this route - I passed, along with everyone else in my class, although nobody else did the exam next day. You have to know your own studying style. I read through the book beforehand, but for me, the classroom was a lot more beneficial.

Make sure you become a PMI member first before applying for the exam, since the fees are much cheaper for PMI members, and the savings offset the PMI membership cost. Also make sure you have all your hours properly documented and hope that you don't get audited when it comes time to pay.

Good luck!
[OP]
Aug 20, 2014
7 posts
Guelph, ON
Thanks Spdztr! I did take the boot camp course back in 2011 (I should've written the exam then). With PMBOK v5 now, I'm thinking along the lines to take the boot camp again. Although this time around I would like do a little more reading and keep the bootcamp right before I schedule the exam, similar to what you did.

Have you heard of "PMP Exam Prep, Eighth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam"? A lot of people speak highly of this book as an aid in addition to PMBOK
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2513 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
I took the test way back when v2 of the PMBok was out.
I'll also chime in that a 4 day prep course really helped especially because the provider had a lot of great exam practice questions to use on their web site. The best advice I can give is to answer the exam questions the PMBok way, rather than the most obvious way.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
I passed v4. Never took a prep class...locked myself in my office and read anything I could get my hands on for 3 days straight. Then did a couple thousand questions from the books and online. Passed on my 1st try. It's honestly not as hard as people make it out to be.

PS: I did not open or read a single page from the PMBOK.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1562 posts
76 upvotes
Maple
I did hear about Rita's book, and I started to read it.. I think I may have an e-copy somewhere, send me a PM with your email, if I can find it. I didn't get far in it though, and conceptually, very similar to the boot camp. The bootcamp I used was PMStudy.. I can't complain.

SinisterXus1 wrote: Thanks Spdztr! I did take the boot camp course back in 2011 (I should've written the exam then). With PMBOK v5 now, I'm thinking along the lines to take the boot camp again. Although this time around I would like do a little more reading and keep the bootcamp right before I schedule the exam, similar to what you did.

Have you heard of "PMP Exam Prep, Eighth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam"? A lot of people speak highly of this book as an aid in addition to PMBOK
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7588 posts
424 upvotes
BC
Is CAPM worth pursuing if I don't have 4500hours?
insert witty comment
Dec 29, 2007
442 posts
244 upvotes
manixc wrote: Is CAPM worth pursuing if I don't have 4500hours?
CAPM is a good place to start if you don't have the required hours, but out in the workforce, companies look for PMP.

As for OP, I read the PMBOK front to back and studied for about 2 months. My boss gave me his 2 pages worth of notes and I reviewed that. Then I went into the exam room and passed. Honestly, it's not hard. I obtained the designation last year using v4 of the PMBOK.

Anyway, good luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1562 posts
76 upvotes
Maple
manixc wrote: Is CAPM worth pursuing if I don't have 4500hours?
I would say no, because it's the exact same exam, just less questions. It's like one more year's worth of hours..
Oct 27, 2011
1 posts
Thanks. I did manage to get a ebook copy of Rita's 8th edition. Going through it now, seems fairly straight forward. I'd give it a try then look at PMBOK.

Looking forward to the long process of documenting all my experience for the PMI application, found some neat excel template online. If anyone needs them PM me.
May 17, 2013
13 posts
1 upvote
Hated Rita's book. Found it to be a very obnoxious read and only got a few chapters in. Preferred Andy Crowe's book. Wrote and passed on my first attempt.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)