Cell Phones

Poco X3 NFC - 3 Weeks and Dead - What to Expect from AliExpress Vendor?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2021 9:40 am
[OP]
Apr 29, 2007
313 posts
82 upvotes
Caledon

Poco X3 NFC - 3 Weeks and Dead - What to Expect from AliExpress Vendor?

I guess this is a two-part question:

Before I start to deal with the AliExpress vendor, has anyone here successfully had a warranty issue resolved, or will this just be a waste of time? Am I better off trying to deal with Poco/Xiaomi directly?

I have owned the phone for three weeks. It worked flawlessly for that time, until it didn't (simply powered down on its own and will not re-start). During the time that it did work, I didn't have a single issue. No app crashes, no glitches, nothing. It was very impressive. It then turned off while next to me (full battery), and now will not re-start. Using the Vol+/Power Button to reset does nothing. Plugging it into a computer results in it not being recognized. Mi PC Suite results in the same (not recognized). The phone has its original (Global) ROM, never got wet, was never dropped, was in a case the entire time, did not experience any overheating issues whatsoever. Is there any other workaround you could suggest to get it working, or is this a lost cause? I'm assuming I just hit a dud, but it surprises me that it would go from working perfectly, to dead, with absolutely no previous issues.
7 replies
Feb 25, 2020
189 posts
424 upvotes
Some people would say that it's a waste of time with AE vendor and POCO/Xiaomi won't help you out.

That's the risk you take when ordering from sites like BG, AE, GB, etc.

However, what I PERSONALLY would do is still try to take it up with the vendor, explain to them what happened and see if they can send you another unit or refund you.

If that doesn't work, I would file a dispute with PayPal or my credit card company.

Good luck!
Jun 4, 2013
766 posts
254 upvotes
Vancouver
Order a Xiaomi Note 5 from Amazon. No issue so far but I only use it when I go to China to visit every year. Have no app other than wechat a few Beijing map. Nothing for them dig even if they try.
Nov 7, 2014
797 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would guess you could return it for a refund. At least that's what I did with a tablet I bought on aliexpress a long time ago. There was a problem with it. It cost $40 (my cost) and took 6 weeks to ship back but I was refunded for the item once they received it.
Jun 2, 2002
487 posts
193 upvotes
First, do both fastboot (Power & Vol-) and recovery (Power & Vol+) not work for you? Do you have anything showing up on the screen during any bootup attempts or charging?

Second, you are correct that most of the time warranty claims with vendors can be a waste of time, but sometimes you get lucky. So you should definitely message the vendor and see if they can offer any kind of help, suggestions, or way to fix this problem. Sometimes that can mean they can offer a replacement, sometimes EDL service, you need to see what they can do for you. To a large extent you are at their mercy because neither PayPal or credit card dispute are likely of much help since you actually received your item - maybe credit card extended warranty/insurance can cover it?

Last, if the vendor can't help you, you may have to help yourself which means learning how to fix it. Unless you unlocked your bootloader beforehand, paying for EDL service out-of-pocket may be the only other way out.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2007
313 posts
82 upvotes
Caledon
miji2 wrote: First, do both fastboot (Power & Vol-) and recovery (Power & Vol+) not work for you? Do you have anything showing up on the screen during any bootup attempts or charging?
Neither Power & Vol+ or Power & Vol- work. I know the battery is between 95-100% charged, but there is no light when it is plugged in.
Second, you are correct that most of the time warranty claims with vendors can be a waste of time, but sometimes you get lucky. So you should definitely message the vendor and see if they can offer any kind of help, suggestions, or way to fix this problem. Sometimes that can mean they can offer a replacement, sometimes EDL service, you need to see what they can do for you. To a large extent you are at their mercy because neither PayPal or credit card dispute are likely of much help since you actually received your item - maybe credit card extended warranty/insurance can cover it?
Yeah, Xiaomi is pretty much saying that there is no manufacturer warranty in Canada, and that the repair/refund should be done through the vendor. However, the vendor is ignoring my attempts to contact them. For a week, both of my messages have not even been viewed. I guess I'll see what my credit card company says through its extended warranty, but I'm not hopeful since the manufacturer does not offer a warranty in Canada.
Jun 2, 2002
487 posts
193 upvotes
mondriano wrote: Neither Power & Vol+ or Power & Vol- work. I know the battery is between 95-100% charged, but there is no light when it is plugged in.
Do you see anything on the screen? You should at least see the charging animation like in here at the 1 minute mark. Is your phone is not showing anything at all? If so, you have a few options.
Worst case, this is a bad motherboard situation and you'd have to get that changed which is not that simple since it's a new device and there are not many spare parts around. Still, maybe eBay or cell repair shop at a place like PM.
It could also be a hang-up of the hardware which requires a cold boot - unfortunately that means you'll have to wait until the battery naturally discharges to 0, or help it by doing the freezer trick, or take the device apart and unplug the battery. I've seen a few devices which had that problem and then just started right up.
Another (unfortunate due to COVID) last-resort option is to have anyone you know travelling to EU or Asia take it and try servicing locally.
Bottom line. We paid very little for these devices and that means even if you add repair costs, the overall value will still likely be fantastic and you will learn something useful in the process. It's all about the law of averages.
mondriano wrote: Yeah, Xiaomi is pretty much saying that there is no manufacturer warranty in Canada, and that the repair/refund should be done through the vendor. However, the vendor is ignoring my attempts to contact them. For a week, both of my messages have not even been viewed. I guess I'll see what my credit card company says through its extended warranty, but I'm not hopeful since the manufacturer does not offer a warranty in Canada.
You need patience with the vendor. I just had a reply to my inquiry about buying the Mi 11 after a week of radio silence, and that wasn't even a warranty question. Be polite and ping them once a week for a few weeks. Unfortunately they are just starting the new year holiday so that's gonna slow things down even more.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2007
313 posts
82 upvotes
Caledon
miji2 wrote: Do you see anything on the screen? You should at least see the charging animation like in here at the 1 minute mark. Is your phone is not showing anything at all?
No, there is no activity on the screen at all. No notification light, no light when the phone is plugged in.
You need patience with the vendor. I just had a reply to my inquiry about buying the Mi 11 after a week of radio silence, and that wasn't even a warranty question. Be polite and ping them once a week for a few weeks. Unfortunately they are just starting the new year holiday so that's gonna slow things down even more.
Yeah, the conversation has begun with the vendor and at least initially, they seem to be accommodating. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Much appreciated!