• Mar 31st, 2022 9:20 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12732 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto

Point and shot Camera

I am looking to upgrade from phone camera and was wondering if its worth it to get a point and shot camera something like Sony Rx100 for video recording and photo.

Anyone can recommend a one also, don't mind use gear.
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
8 replies
Oct 12, 2007
954 posts
572 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a ZV-1, and it has served me well. I guess it depends on what you want to do. I use it a lot for streaming and recording on my computer, but the ZV-1 is going to have a crazy superior video stabilization if you are video recording and moving. It does have battery issues, so it's not a fantastic webcam replacement.

You could also look into the ZV-E10 if you don't mind getting into the mirrorless business because it's just the ZV-1 with a detachable lens. The form factor is going to be bigger, but if you think you have a desire to eventually get into mirrorless, then that might be the way to go. The ZV-E10 is also slightly more updated, but it has some trade-offs that some youtubers pointed out to me like strange file size limitations and a not-so-good stabilization.

As I mentioned the ZV-E10, I think the release of it is driving down ZV-1 prices despite them being the same price for a while (ZV-E10 body only). I actually got a crazy nice deal last Christmas, I think, where Bestbuy had a $110 off sale all Sony cameras and an RFDer pointed out that Bestbuy had refurbished ZV-1s. I got it for $739 before tax and $829 after tax. Right now it's $799 msrp in most places.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2290 posts
1628 upvotes
GTA
Personally, I would not sink any money into a point and shoot. Phone cameras have essentially replaced p&s cameras. With computation photography improving with every generation and potentially larger/multiple sensors in phones, the differences are almost non-existent today. If I were looking to upgrade, I would go a bit larger with either a micro four-thirds camera from Panasonic/Olympus-OMD and a F4 zoom or a Fujifilm X100V.

The specs on the RX100 are quite good and the reviews are great as well so if you do decide to get one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1383 posts
697 upvotes
Kingsville
lpin14 wrote: Personally, I would not sink any money into a point and shoot. Phone cameras have essentially replaced p&s cameras. With computation photography improving with every generation and potentially larger/multiple sensors in phones, the differences are almost non-existent today. If I were looking to upgrade, I would go a bit larger with either a micro four-thirds camera from Panasonic/Olympus-OMD and a F4 zoom or a Fujifilm X100V.
Would still depend on how much OP is looking to spend compared to owning a higher end phone. While 1k+ iphones likely outpace P&Ss they still have smaller sensors and certain limitations but software makes up for most of that for sure.

I have a sony rx100 v but still have to shoot in RAW to get what I would consider a good image out of it so if OP is only looking at shooting jpegs and only posting to social media then simply putting the money aside for a better phone would probably serve them better.

Be aware of the RX100 for video recording as well as I did not read the asterisk fine print that states 4k recording is limited to 5 min clips (unsure if newer ones have overcome this limitation). I ended up purchasing a sony a6400 later so I could do 4k videos without any restrictions. The ZV-1 is basically identical to the RX1005 with the only differences being the RX has flash and a pop out electronic view finder.

If OP is still looking for a camera I would look for something like the above poster stated in a M43 form factor unless size is the main consideration.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4649 posts
552 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: Personally, I would not sink any money into a point and shoot. Phone cameras have essentially replaced p&s cameras. With computation photography improving with every generation and potentially larger/multiple sensors in phones, the differences are almost non-existent today. If I were looking to upgrade, I would go a bit larger with either a micro four-thirds camera from Panasonic/Olympus-OMD and a F4 zoom or a Fujifilm X100V.

The specs on the RX100 are quite good and the reviews are great as well so if you do decide to get one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Don't forget that P&S cameras still have a huge benefit over mobile phone cameras: optical zoom

A lot of people seem forget that benefit.
Want to do wildlife or something you can't get close to? P&S (or DSLR of course) is the way to go. No amount of digital cropping will ever be the same.

With that being said, it totally depends on what the OP wants to do.
Personally I still use a Sony DSV-HX90 when travelling since there I generally can't get right up to the things I take photos of, but that's just me. I don't think my mobile phone will ever replace my digital camera.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6088 posts
7506 upvotes
GTA
I think you might be better off to get a mirrorless camera rather than the RX100 since they are a similar price. The sensor is the same size as a DSLR.
Dec 2, 2007
345 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
I just purchased the Sony ZV1 and it is better for me than the Sony RX100 VII (both have the same 1 inch sensor):

Advantage of Sony ZV1:

1. No limit of recording time for 4K 30 fps videos. (RX100 VII can only do 5 min)
2. Face colour looks slightly better on the ZV1 due to in camera software. Also can select a sort of beautycam feature to soften your face (low, medium, high)
3. ZV1 has no external flash but has a hot shoe so you can connect something like a Godox TT350S for an external flash which would be great for indoor shots.
4. Can attach external light or mic on the hot shoe of the ZV1 as well.
5. Brighter 1.8 to 2.8 24mm to 70 mm.
6. Screen is fully articulated and swings to the side so easier to see if you have something on the hot shoe. (may be disadvantage for selfie video since you might look a bit right)
7. Much better built in mic and comes with a fluffy for wind noise.
8. Super fast autofocus (real time tracking and real time eye AF) and has product focus so you can put an object in front of the camera and it focuses on it fast.
9. Way cheaper than RX100 VII

Advantage of Sony RX100 VII:

1. RX100 has a much better zoom 24 - 200 mm but less bright at 2.8 to 4.5
2. slightly smaller camera.
3. Most metal construction vs plastic on the ZV1 (although high quality plastic)
4. Super fast autofocus (same as ZV1)
5. Built in tiny flash if you need a fill flash.
6. Built in Electronic View Finder.

Note: both have stabilization but the "active" one crops the sensor so it won't be as wide as 24 mm. In standard mode, it is 24 mm but doesn't work nearly as well as an iphone stabilizer.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7481 posts
4105 upvotes
Debtario
What's your budget?

For a true point and shoot, the Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II was awesome. Should be able to find one used for $300 or less.

If you have a larger budget, go mirrorless. Fuji XT3? Your bank account is the limit
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16537 posts
7175 upvotes
Toronto
I would say RX100, I have the Mark 1 version. But honestly the newest Iphones are getting so good at photo and video that I wouldn't bother with point and shoots these days, my RX100 mostly collects dust.

If you want to see a big upgrade from cell phones, skip point and shoot and go to mirrorless full frame.