At the point where i may have to give away our cat

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2022 12:39 am
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
67 upvotes

At the point where i may have to give away our cat

so we have a cat, but the issue is the fur and shedding. the fur is literally everywhere. on the kitchen counters, on the dishes sometimes, all my clothing, bedsheets, even on my towels in the washrooom so when im drying myself sometimes i get little bits of cat hair on my body.

I've tried grooming, doesnt do anything. its just a short hair siamese

any suggestions, or is it time to give the kitty away?
58 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Don't you love your cat? Consider giving it away just due to shedding issues? :(
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
May 12, 2009
814 posts
380 upvotes
How about vacuuming more often?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Maybe have a vet check to ensure there are no underlying reasons, it sounds unusual for a shorthair.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Siamese don't have undercoats to worry about and shed less than other breads.

When you say you tried grooming, what do you do exactly? What brush did you use? How often are you brushing?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
My suggestion is to brush your cat more often. There is no way there should be that much hair everywhere unless the cat isn't getting brushed and/or you aren't cleaning your house often.

Try changing the cats diet if the fur looks unhealthy. Brush more often in the spring as it is shedding season. Make a room a no cat zone if it bothers you so much, but by your description it sounds like most likely you are acting OCD about cat hair.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I don't even....

There's a lot more that you can try and do than just grooming before deciding to give up your cat.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Jan 19, 2017
431 posts
121 upvotes
shedding is normal, but if you think it's excessive shedding, please do take your cat to a vet to check, as there could be an underlying medical problem.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Has it always shed at the current rate? Or did the shedding get progressively worse? If so, I agree with PP that suggested getting the cat evaluated by a vet.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
What did you expect when you got an animal that's covered head to toe in fur? Like most animal owners, you simply deal with it. Vacuum and use lint rollers. It's part of owning animals
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
67 upvotes
Shaner wrote: What did you expect when you got an animal that's covered head to toe in fur? Like most animal owners, you simply deal with it. Vacuum and use lint rollers. It's part of owning animals
actually it isnt a part of owning animals. the whole purpose of why i bought this expensive breed for more than $500 is because the breeder told me (incorrectly or lied knowingly) that the siamese cats dont shed much, if at all.
otherwise, i could have gone for other non shedding cats like cornish/devon rex or russian blue.
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
67 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: Siamese don't have undercoats to worry about and shed less than other breads.

When you say you tried grooming, what do you do exactly? What brush did you use? How often are you brushing?
i use a tool from the vet that is basically one single row of really small metal pins and on the other the same thing but larger pins spaced out more.
i brush him i wouldn't say once a week, i would say rarely brush him maybe once a month but even when i brush him theres still fur coming out everywhere. pic attached

i know i need to brush him more but i think even if i do he will still shed everywher. his fur is literally everywhere. i just bought new socks and when i walked on the carpets the fur is all over my socks. its on the cabinets. on the printer, on all my clothing. i bought the siamese because it was supposedly a low shedding cat but thats definitely not true

Last edited by jimmysack on Apr 7th, 2018 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
67 upvotes
pimom wrote: How about vacuuming more often?
the problem is, cat hairs, they dont come out of clothing or carpets very easily. at the end of their hairs they have this material that is very sticky and pointy so it is hard to come out. i vacuum all the time no help..
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
67 upvotes
Karala wrote: My suggestion is to brush your cat more often. There is no way there should be that much hair everywhere unless the cat isn't getting brushed and/or you aren't cleaning your house often.

Try changing the cats diet if the fur looks unhealthy. Brush more often in the spring as it is shedding season. Make a room a no cat zone if it bothers you so much, but by your description it sounds like most likely you are acting OCD about cat hair.
how often should i be brushing the cat? the tool i have is not very good.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2716 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with a vet check, since hormonal imbalances, skin allergies etc can cause excessive hair loss. You can also try feeding frozen raw food or dehydrated raw food- I know my dog sheds less on raw. If you switch to raw expect a detoxification period where cat sheds even more.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
jimmysack wrote: i use a tool from the vet that is basically one single row of really small metal pins and on the other the same thing but larger pins spaced out more.
i brush him i wouldn't say once a week, i would say rarely brush him maybe once a month but even when i brush him theres still fur coming out everywhere. pic attached

i know i need to brush him more but i think even if i do he will still shed everywher. his fur is literally everywhere. i just bought new socks and when i walked on the carpets the fur is all over my socks. its on the cabinets. on the printer, on all my clothing. i bought the siamese because it was supposedly a low shedding cat but thats definitely not true
Once a month is too infrequent. Once a week at the absolute minimum. Also use different brushes. That brush was meant more to get rid of tangles and mats. It won't be effective at getting the loose hair. Get a slicker/needle brush instead. Make sure you get one for cats. They will have rounded tips. Cat's skin is much thinner than a dogs' skin and a dog slicker brush can hurt the cat.

There are other brushes like the Furminator, but that was meant more for cats with undercoats. Siamese don't have undercoats.
Banned
Jan 24, 2018
302 posts
67 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: Once a month is too infrequent. Once a week at the absolute minimum. Also use different brushes. That brush was meant more to get rid of tangles and mats. It won't be effective at getting the loose hair. Get a slicker/needle brush instead. Make sure you get one for cats. They will have rounded tips. Cat's skin is much thinner than a dogs' skin and a dog slicker brush can hurt the cat.

There are other brushes like the Furminator, but that was meant more for cats with undercoats. Siamese don't have undercoats.
Hi thanks for ur detailed response. can you point me to somewhere i can buy those brush for cats that dont have undercoats? i am confused, won't the little balls at the end of the needles prevent the needle from grabbing and pulling the hairs out ?

i was about to purchase the furminator but now not getting it after reading ur response
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
Brushing daily is the best prevention for shedding and vacuum often.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
jimmysack wrote: Hi thanks for ur detailed response. can you point me to somewhere i can buy those brush for cats that dont have undercoats? i am confused, won't the little balls at the end of the needles prevent the needle from grabbing and pulling the hairs out ?

i was about to purchase the furminator but now not getting it after reading ur response
Not really an issue. The bigger problem is if you use a brush that scratches your cat, then your cat is going to hate getting brushed. There are other brushes like a rubber brush, but I don't find them all that effective, but some people love them. I would buy a few different brushes and see what works best for you and your cat. As for the Furminator. There are fake ones everywhere at a fraction of the price. I have both and don't notice any difference between the real and fake ones. Pet stores, Walmart, Canadian Tire, and even supermarkets carry cat brushes, but Chinese websites (assuming you're willing to wait 6-8 weeks shipping) tends to be cheapest. Amazon has decent prices as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)