Pokemon Arceus

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2022 9:20 pm
Tags:
Jun 4, 2016
255 posts
76 upvotes

Pokemon Arceus

Anybody have it? Is it worth picking up or what?

I hear the reviews are good but some people saying the game is barebones and the graphics are pretty bad.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1362 posts
1791 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I have no problems with the graphics.

It depends on the person I guess. I like Pokemon a lot, but grew a bit tired of the formula which has always been the same, once in a while they add a gimmick to make it feel new and it's gone in the next generation.

I honestly didn't expect to like this one so much. It's not a perfect game, but at least they tried something different. It does feel pretty barebone if you wanna get down to it.

Basically, it's sorta like Monster Hunter or Demon's Soul with Jubilife Village acting as your central hub, and you visit 5 regions, which can be pretty big to explore. You have to calm some frenzied Noble Pokemons to advance in the game, and you must try to complete the first Pokedex. So all you are doing is pretty much catch pokemons, fight pokemons, explore areas (which by the way is not too restricted), complete sidequests and you have some trainer battles here and there but they are very few.

Personally I love the game. It feels like a step in the right direction for the franchise, they just have to mix it up a little. I think if they could mix that style with the normal formula (gym battles, trainers) it would be a big hit.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3019 upvotes
Ottawa
Has anyone seen this game at SDM? Went to a few locations today and none of them has it. Hoping I was gonna be able to get it during the 20x points event.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
Looks rough and has some seriously dodgy LoD transitions, but it's super fun. Pokémon is kind of the ideal sandbox concept.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7410 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
My issue with what I've seen is that it performs kinda poorly but people give it a pass because:
1. Gameplay formula is new
2. There is no alternative Pokémon developer

People are measuring the game in relation to its predecessor, so while it's refreshing, I don't get how they price it at $79.99 and people gobble it up.

People are quick to say, "good graphics don't mean good gameplay. Look at BF42", but there are graphics that are simple & functional, and graphics that break immersion.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1362 posts
1791 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Auditore212 wrote: My issue with what I've seen is that it performs kinda poorly but people give it a pass because:
1. Gameplay formula is new
2. There is no alternative Pokémon developer

People are measuring the game in relation to its predecessor, so while it's refreshing, I don't get how they price it at $79.99 and people gobble it up.

People are quick to say, "good graphics don't mean good gameplay. Look at BF42", but there are graphics that are simple & functional, and graphics that break immersion.
When it comes to Nintendo, price doesn't really matter. Mario Party that came out 3 months ago is nothing more than a mash up of n64 and gamecube mini-games with updated graphics. Most best sellers on the Switch are re-release of Wii U games. Even the last Pokemon games before Arceus on the Switch were remakes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7410 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
theXshape wrote: When it comes to Nintendo, price doesn't really matter. Mario Party that came out 3 months ago is nothing more than a mash up of n64 and gamecube mini-games with updated graphics. Most best sellers on the Switch are re-release of Wii U games. Even the last Pokemon games before Arceus on the Switch were remakes.
Fair enough! Hey, I'm very guilty of it too. Mario Party Superstars was a Day 1 purchase because my wife grew up playing those mini-games. So was Mario 3D World because I never owned a Wii/WiiU.
Koodo Mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1362 posts
1791 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Auditore212 wrote: Fair enough! Hey, I'm very guilty of it too. Mario Party Superstars was a Day 1 purchase because my wife grew up playing those mini-games. So was Mario 3D World because I never owned a Wii/WiiU.
At the end of the day, you just have to ask youself, is it really worth the price ? If people weren't willing to pay for it, price would drop. Games like Metroid Dread, I don't think the 79.99$ is warranted. It's a 8h game that most people wouldn't ever touch after beating it the first time. The beauty of it, though, is that it's a Nintendo game and it retains most of it's value. If you wanna sell, you are not losing much.

I mean, if you think about it, most games on the Switch came out on the Wii U when games were cheaper! So you are basically getting the same Wii U game, on the Switch, but they are asking for more money. Crazy.

As for Arceus, no matter its shortcomings, I give it a pass because IMO it's just fun :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Arceus is a shittier Monster Hunter Stories 2. Is it fun? My nephew likes it and it moves the series forward, but for me it feels like a solid 7.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7410 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
theXshape wrote: At the end of the day, you just have to ask youself, is it really worth the price ? If people weren't willing to pay for it, price would drop. Games like Metroid Dread, I don't think the 79.99$ is warranted. It's a 8h game that most people wouldn't ever touch after beating it the first time. The beauty of it, though, is that it's a Nintendo game and it retains most of it's value. If you wanna sell, you are not losing much.

I mean, if you think about it, most games on the Switch came out on the Wii U when games were cheaper! So you are basically getting the same Wii U game, on the Switch, but they are asking for more money. Crazy.

As for Arceus, no matter its shortcomings, I give it a pass because IMO it's just fun :)
Your post got me thinking...I should just try this game for myself. I am a 91 baby & Pokémon was a big part of my childhood and I haven't played a Pokémon game since Yellow.

I ordered it yesterday. I've been playing it all day today. No regrets. So much fun and I feel like a kid again. Watching gameplay videos on YouTube does it no justice.
Koodo Mobile