• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2020 6:32 am
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
789 posts
159 upvotes
Halifax

Pokemon cards

I know nothing about Pokemon cards and both my boys want some for Christmas. Who has the best deals right now, and what boxes are the best to get some good cards? I know Costco has a few options in the warehouse. Any advice is appreciated.
7 replies
Dec 21, 2008
255 posts
161 upvotes
I collect Hockey Cards so I'm not an expert but my kids have recently started collecting Pokemon. I've learned the following;

How you proceed will depend on if your kids want to Play, Collect or both.

- Newer releases are more in demand but there are a few releases from the past that are harder to get. Here's a list of expansions/releases https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki ... expansions

- Booster Packs are the way to go to get rarer insert cards for example: https://www.toysrus.ca/en/Pokemon-Sword ... 269ED.html

- To start building a deck you can buy new base decks or try kijiji or facebook marketplace to get some secondhand. Either way it won't really matter because your kids will want to supplement their base decks with better insert cards they pull from booster packs.
El Cheapo
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20966 posts
3548 upvotes
YUL
Costco, at least here in Quebec has them most of the time. Seems to be the best deal around.
Jul 7, 2016
350 posts
701 upvotes
Costco has the following sets (order of best value in my opinion):

- Elite Trainer Box ("ETB") and Tin for $39.99 to $40.99. They currently have 2 variants in all provinces (Quebec has different versions). The ETB contains 8 packs plus accessories and the tin has 4 plus a promo. The ETB alone usually is sold for $40 to $65 at retail stores (local card shops or Big Box stores like Walmart) while the tin ranges from $20 to $35. If your children are not too sensitive of how "old" the sets are, the Costco bundle is very good value (12 packs). The "Burning Shadows" variant is highly sought after and are probably out of stock by now.

- 3 pack Pokeball tins for $29.99. Each tin contains 3 packs. Very good value as well for a total of 9 packs (most of which are desirable packs). At other stores, each tin sells for $15 to $22 each.

- "Ultra Beast" two pack for $39.99 (I think). Each box contains 8 packs, some promotional cards and a playmat. Could be nice if you want to gift a larger looking gift. The pack mix is less desirable than the other two options above but very good pack to cost ratio if your children are not sensitive to the type of packs. Retailers sell this for a lot more (e.g. Walmart at $75 each, but the product does not move well because of the packs).

Available online too for $48.99: https://www.costco.ca/pokemon-ultra-bea ... 09408.html

For reference, other stores generally sell packs for $5 to $7 each.

For Black Friday, I believe ebgames and TRU are running active promotions that still have stock (20% to 25% off certain products). Walmart ran an early BF promotion for select tins that contained 1 promo card and 5 packs for $15 (from $42) but those sold out quickly.

Hope this helps.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
789 posts
159 upvotes
Halifax
Presents wrote: Costco has the following sets (order of best value in my opinion):

- Elite Trainer Box ("ETB") and Tin for $39.99 to $40.99. They currently have 2 variants in all provinces (Quebec has different versions). The ETB contains 8 packs plus accessories and the tin has 4 plus a promo. The ETB alone usually is sold for $40 to $65 at retail stores (local card shops or Big Box stores like Walmart) while the tin ranges from $20 to $35. If your children are not too sensitive of how "old" the sets are, the Costco bundle is very good value (12 packs). The "Burning Shadows" variant is highly sought after and are probably out of stock by now.

- 3 pack Pokeball tins for $29.99. Each tin contains 3 packs. Very good value as well for a total of 9 packs (most of which are desirable packs). At other stores, each tin sells for $15 to $22 each.

- "Ultra Beast" two pack for $39.99 (I think). Each box contains 8 packs, some promotional cards and a playmat. Could be nice if you want to gift a larger looking gift. The pack mix is less desirable than the other two options above but very good pack to cost ratio if your children are not sensitive to the type of packs. Retailers sell this for a lot more (e.g. Walmart at $75 each, but the product does not move well because of the packs).

Available online too for $48.99: https://www.costco.ca/pokemon-ultra-bea ... 09408.html

For reference, other stores generally sell packs for $5 to $7 each.

For Black Friday, I believe ebgames and TRU are running active promotions that still have stock (20% to 25% off certain products). Walmart ran an early BF promotion for select tins that contained 1 promo card and 5 packs for $15 (from $42) but those sold out quickly.

Hope this helps.
That's awesome, thanks.
Jul 4, 2011
660 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
The best thing readily available right now is the CP ETB https://www.pokemoncenter.com/en-ca/pro ... rainer-box

Other than that costco has the best price with stock available or that 3 pack-deal which is back in stock

Walmart has random restocks and anything Hidden Fates, Shining Legends or Evolutions should be an instant buy as they get bought up right away and re sold for more on Kijiji

If I had to rank packs that you can actually somewhat find in stores in order I would say this order

1) Hidden Fates
2) Shining Legends
3) Evolutions
4) Champions Path
5) Unbroken Bonds
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1642 posts
148 upvotes
As said can collect and or play.
Can get a booster box, it is 36 packs of cards. Best chance and cheapest for getting the rate cards and vmax cards.
This is a booster box http://milton.untouchables.ca/catalog/p ... ox/1176263

The trainer boxes come with a few things that helps out with playing the card game like dice and tokens and protective sleeves. Getting a box or 2 is good if they are interested in playing. The online app can help with rules too.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
789 posts
159 upvotes
Halifax
Thanks all. I got a Burning Shadows ETB w/ Tin at Costco for my 7yo and a Champion's Path ETB for my 10yo. They'll be very happy Christmas morning.