• Sep 12th, 2020 8:49 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Polestar 2 vs Tesla Model 3

I personally prefer the interior of the Polestar compared to the Tesla. The Tesla's all touch interior is too gimmicky for me. Though as Rory said, it's lighter, quicker, has better range, and the Supercharging network makes it a very, very good EV.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
41 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Interior on the Model 3 is blahhhhhhh, so really anyone should have a better interior LOL.

You buy Tesla for the tech and the SC network period. All these legacy manufacturers are always lagging behind!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
^ all this. The polestar is beautiful inside and out. It's every high school persons crush. TM3 is just the easy choice. A tad unattractive but has one of the biggest things working really well for it. So, you got with the less attractive one because you know, it's your best hope at a long and happy life.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4100 posts
6124 upvotes
Barrie, ON
So you're saying pick the ugly chick and not the prom queen? :)
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mxthor3 wrote: So you're saying pick the ugly chick and not the prom queen? :)
Kind of like having that hot model chick that's a dead fish in bed vs. a GND that's fun as hell?!?!?! :P
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
2393 posts
2116 upvotes
Waterloo
Pick the polestar because what's inside counts more than the outside Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Cheapest Polestar 2 trim is $69.9K right now, which is the starting price of a Model Y, so price-wise it's not a straight up comparison. I'll be very interested to see what the cheaper Polestar trims/models are like though.

I do like the Polestar 2 looks and design as much as the M3, P2 has better rear end for sure. With that said, I'll wait for a more efficient model too, P2 is not as good aerodynamically either, and it's heavier so it gets less range than an M3 LR even though the P2 has a slightly larger battery.

I do like that the Polestar has full android integration. I think the P2 is an excellent first attempt though. We just replaced one of our two ICE cars with a Tesla M3 SR+, and will be replacing the second ICE car with another BEV in 4 to 5 years, Polestar is definitely on the list under consideration.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Kind of like having that hot model chick that's a dead fish in bed vs. a GND that's fun as hell?!?!?! :P
If you can afford to play with the prettiest and don't care for a little bit of you know it's coming burn, yeah, otherwise be smart and play it safe. The uglier one has a lower chance of leaving you stranded.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
deep wrote: Is the base Polestar not a $20K / 40% increment in price over a base 3? Bloody well BETTER be better.
It is, but it isn't "better" than a base 3 though, tech wise.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: It is, but it isn't "better" than a base 3 though, tech wise.
The only "tech" "better" in Polestar is Google head unit. And when I say, better, I mean it plays better with your Android phone and don't need to adopt yet another ecosystem like Tesla's.

Polestar doesn't do anything for me. At this price, I don't expect manual adjustment for dampers. I also don't find it to be pretty either.

Without seeing one in person:
Exterior - Model 3
Interior - Polestar
Drivetrain - Model 3
Quality - Polestar
Infotainment - Polestar
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14178 upvotes
Toronto
Xtrema wrote: The only "tech" "better" in Polestar is Google head unit. And when I say, better, I mean it plays better with your Android phone and don't need to adopt yet another ecosystem like Tesla's.

Polestar doesn't do anything for me. At this price, I don't expect manual adjustment for dampers. I also don't find it to be pretty either.

Without seeing one in person:
Exterior - Model 3
Interior - Polestar
Drivetrain - Model 3
Quality - Polestar
Infotainment - Polestar
Changed my mind, they're both ugly

The M3 is ugly. The Model Y is downright fugly.

I saw a model Y on the weekend in the flesh for the first time and I was seriously disappointed.

I may still buy one...but it's damn ugly.

I think the Model S is good looking in top trim...the Model X i find ugly as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Swerny wrote: Changed my mind, they're both ugly

The M3 is ugly. The Model Y is downright fugly.

I saw a model Y on the weekend in the flesh for the first time and I was seriously disappointed.

I may still buy one...but it's damn ugly.

I think the Model S is good looking in top trim...the Model X i find ugly as well.
Model Y is ugly, but it's par for the course compared to the ugly shit the Germans have been producing (X4/X6/GLC300 etc.)
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14178 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Model Y is ugly, but it's par for the course compared to the ugly shit the Germans have been producing (X4/X6/GLC300 etc.)
that is true.

the "coupe" SUV's are beyond hideous.

All started by the horrendous Acura ZDX.

I think the exception is the Q8....especially in the RS trim...and the Urus......I could "suffer" with that one.
Last edited by Swerny on Sep 10th, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Swerny wrote: that is true.

the "coupe" SUV's are beyond hideous.

All started by the horrendous Acura ZDX.
ZDX LOLOLOL!!!!

One of the biggest failures in the automotive industry with a short run due to shit sales. Yet here we are today and look at how many ugly crossovers are on the road. Acura was ahead of it's time I guess...
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
Other than Porsche Taycan, I don't think there is a slam dunk exterior from any EVs yet.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Xtrema wrote: Other than Porsche Taycan, I don't think there is a slam dunk exterior from any EVs yet.
Zero. And even the Taycan is no looker, it's borderline ugly IMO.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14178 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Zero. And even the Taycan is no looker, it's borderline ugly IMO.
yeah even the Taycan is ugly as well (by Porsche standards anyway) .
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder the Audi etron GT (production version) is better looking.