Automotive

Police filed accident report on the spot - will insurance company notified?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2021 10:17 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2021
4 posts
2 upvotes

Police filed accident report on the spot - will insurance company notified?

Hello,

I'm a driver in Ontario. I had an accident due to mechanical failure. Because of mechanical failure, I ended up driving into other guy's bush.

The other party called police, and the officer filed a report on the spot. I think the police marked my incident as mechanical failure.

Since I'm driving a beater and the damage is done to one bush, I'm planning to pay out of my pocket and get a new vehicle if insurance company is not notified. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind reporting to insurance and starting a claim.

If police filed a report on the spot, will it be notified to insurance company automatically?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3694 posts
2359 upvotes
Edmonton
MS1234 wrote: Hello,

I'm a driver in Ontario. I had an accident due to mechanical failure. Because of mechanical failure, I ended up driving into other guy's bush.

The other party called police, and the officer filed a report on the spot. I think the police marked my incident as mechanical failure.

Since I'm driving a beater and the damage is done to one bush, I'm planning to pay out of my pocket and get a new vehicle if insurance company is not notified. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind reporting to insurance and starting a claim.

If police filed a report on the spot, will it be notified to insurance company automatically?
No
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4434 posts
1909 upvotes
A police report filed on the spot? Not sure what that means.

What does it mean?

Anyway, as long as you don't go to the Collision Reporting Centre, chances are your insurance won't know.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2021
4 posts
2 upvotes
Sorry,

I meant police filed a report on the scene when they arrived. I’m not sure what kind of report it is.
I also asked if I should go to collision centre. Officer said no as it is already done.
Feb 17, 2015
954 posts
1111 upvotes
Canada
Every call a police get especially if they went to the scene, they have to document it. Documenting doesnt mean reporting to insurance company.
MS1234 wrote: Sorry,

I meant police filed a report on the scene when they arrived. I’m not sure what kind of report it is.
I also asked if I should go to collision centre. Officer said no as it is already done.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1320 posts
662 upvotes
Calgary, AB
So you drove your beater into someone else’s bush without their consent?

Think yourself lucky you weren’t arrested tbh...
[OP]
Jun 6, 2021
4 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you for y’all.

I’m sorry, I think I didn’t write clearly. My engine and throttle failed and I backed up into bush when I was backing up to pull over. My throttle jammed I think, my car accelerated without putting gas.

I’m paying for the property damage but I’m not getting my car fixed. I’m getting my car checked but they said it will cost $$ to fix.

Police just gave me file number and said I can use that for insurance purposes.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29123 posts
9632 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: So you drove your beater into someone else’s bush without their consent?

Think yourself lucky you weren’t arrested tbh...
Wait we're talking about cars here right :lol:

Seriously though, OP... Were you ticketed? Insurance is going to count any accident claim (including a PD claim from third party) against you, sure--they're going to have to pay out to fix the property and then possibly to fix your car as well, so yeah they're going to find out about it when the guy contacts them to pay for his damages. Also if you a received a ticket, depending on what that ticket was, a conviction could also affect your insurance rates.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16502 posts
18059 upvotes
Oakville
MS1234 wrote: Thank you for y’all.

I’m sorry, I think I didn’t write clearly. My engine and throttle failed and I backed up into bush when I was backing up to pull over. My throttle jammed I think, my car accelerated without putting gas.

I’m paying for the property damage but I’m not getting my car fixed. I’m getting my car checked but they said it will cost $$ to fix.

Police just gave me file number and said I can use that for insurance purposes.
2008 Ford Escape?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2021
4 posts
2 upvotes
No, I didn’t get charged or ticketed.