Police in neighborhood

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2019 9:29 pm
[OP]
May 6, 2006
132 posts
6 upvotes

Police in neighborhood

If you have police visit next door neighbour, is it possible to ask them to know what is wrong due to concern for personal wellbeing. I had 2 cop cars in front of my home yesterday night, and had my neighbour sitting in backseat of one of them. Then after questioning, and one of the cops going into the house with a camera, they left. I’m wondering if I call the police (Durham Region) if they will divulge some info or atleast alleviate my concerns given that my wife and baby are always home.

PS: not sure if this is the right forum for this one, but somewhat connected with parenthood and family, as otherwise back in the day I would really not have cared too much over these things :)
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24798 posts
1910 upvotes
Markham, ON
if its not on the news...nope

its likely domestic disturbance.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2057 posts
1474 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
If there is a safety concern you would be notified, but for privacy they cannot tell you unless it involves you.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1368 upvotes
OP, you sound like a busybody. If the neighbor had made threats against you personally, you can bet your bottom dollar the cops would be at your door to get your side of the story. Sounds to me like you are just curious as to why your neighbor was arrested. If you have no beef with them, why don't you ask your neighbor, directly?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2925 posts
2687 upvotes
Montreal
warrior2009 wrote: if they will divulge some info or atleast alleviate my concerns given that my wife and baby are always home.
Serious question: what if it's something terrible, what will you do? Say he's suspected of murder.

Are you going to start working from home? Install bars? Buy a gun?

Most likely even in that case, you'll "be on the lookout" for a short while and then continue your normal routine. While getting high blood pressure.

So nothing good will come from asking.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
Knock on your neighbors door and ask them yourself.
Dec 8, 2009
584 posts
583 upvotes
You are going to have to go undercover at the prison. Get yourself arrested and then become cell mates with your neighbour. Earn his trust and learn "what he's in for".
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7456 posts
991 upvotes
Ottawa
It really sounds like a domestic violence issue (the camera being to document the victim's injuries). For what it's worth, people who commit domestic violence rarely are a threat to other people outside the family. Domestic violence is often a symptom of people handling close relationships very improperly, so a person who doesn't have a relationship with the aggressor probably isn't in danger.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4335 posts
1819 upvotes
Call the police and ask them.

They are not going to tell you anything, buy why not? It costs nothing (other than a phone call). Please post here again, let us know what they say.

IMHO, police exist to help the community. Nothing wrong in picking up the phone and calling them to chat (just don't call 911 to do that!!!!). It is a legitimate question.