Travel

Polish Zloty for visit to Poland - Where to Convert?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 10:48 am
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
857 posts
24 upvotes

Polish Zloty for visit to Poland - Where to Convert?

My question to you is, do you get Zlotys in Canada, or what is it you do? I have called a place that has Zlotys and they are giving me a rate that's basically an 570.88 for $200, vs 509 for the actual spot rate. So they charge around 11% fee, vs 1-2% for USD, EURO, etc.

I am visiting Poland in September. My understanding is Credit Cards are not accepted at a lot of restaurants, etc.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2314 posts
881 upvotes
Edmonton
tribe1689 wrote:
May 25th, 2019 10:50 am
My question to you is, do you get Zlotys in Canada, or what is it you do? I have called a place that has Zlotys and they are giving me a rate that's basically an 570.88 for $200, vs 509 for the actual spot rate. So they charge around 11% fee, vs 1-2% for USD, EURO, etc.

I am visiting Poland in September. My understanding is Credit Cards are not accepted at a lot of restaurants, etc.
When I was in Poland about 3 years ago, I got my Zlotys from the Royal Bank. If you are a customer, there is no added fee.

It’s best to do it where you bank. I used my Amazon Visa at the time with no ForEx for anywhere that accepted it.

The bank can generally have your foreign funds within a few days.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4782 posts
4664 upvotes
Vancouver
tribe1689 wrote:

I think you've got the conversion the wrong way around? Spot rate for C$200 according to XE is 570.08 zł, which must mean that the exchange shop is offering you only 509 zł? That is a terrible rate. It's going to be much cheaper to get złoty in Poland. Bring maybe $50 woth of złoty and get the rest of your cash there, either by exchanging Canadian cash or using ATMs.

Best is to get a STACK prepaid Mastercard. Load it it with Canadian cash before you go, withdraw from ATMs over there. Pay only Mastercard's exchange rate (about 0.2% above mid-market) and no other fees except for the ATM operators fee (if any, fee-free ATMs seem to be pretty common all over Europe.)
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7599 posts
685 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
Unless you’re buying something in the thousands of dollars just stick your card in an atm when you get there

Poland is still cheap and credit cards are accepted many places but not like Western Europe.

Def try a Zappiekanka from. Random news stand (baguette spicy ketchup and mushrooms ) def not taking credit card

Have fun beautiful country and affordable
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Jul 13, 2016
380 posts
203 upvotes
tribe1689 wrote:

Even now (2019), Poland has a lot of currency exchange places called "Kantor". When I say a lot, I really mean a lot, every couple of street blocks has one. Their fees are around 4% I'd say except the ones at the airport which are around 25%.

They usually won't beat the rate given by your credit or debit card though.

So, I'd say exchange just enough to get you to the hotel, here in Canada, then exchange the rest in Poland, or use your debit card to withdraw at an ATM there.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3545 posts
511 upvotes
Kantor is the way to for exchange . Stay away from mane brand restaurants . Mom and pop places are great on side streets . Cell phone cards are really cheap with data .
Aug 30, 2012
101 posts
30 upvotes
don't bother getting any zloty in Canada..can do ATM on arrival at Airport .... then do Kantor or ATMs

also can get a sim card (make sure your phone is unlocked ...don't use Roam like home...the cost of one day of roaming will equal what you will pay for your entire visit using local sim for data )at the convenience store on arrival hall at airport..We used "PLAY" If you check incoming texts the company gives reward offers which stretches out the value of your plans
https://www.play.pl/
https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Poland
https://www.play.pl/en/

one suggestion is to book tours of palaces ,castles and museums online if possible to beat the lineups very efficient.

Train travel was so efficient and on time ...a few days before you want to go to next place hit the train station to book tickets or do it online(there are several apps with train schedules you can use such as BILKOM ) ..first class is cheap.

Booking.com worked great for booking places to stay ...we only booked our arrival place in advance of our trip ..then booked a few days in advance of whatever place we were going to .

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)