• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 8:57 pm
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1528 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
I've been recommended the porters cable one. I've also been looking for one as I have a black car. I want one safe for beginners
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8055 posts
4451 upvotes
Alberta
yellowlight18 wrote: Any recommendations for a small simple polisher to remove/blend small scratches?

Any feedback on thees two?

WEN 6010 6-Inch Waxer/Polisher - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0000A ... EEQB&psc=1

RYOBI 6-inch Buffer/Polisher - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001002836
I have one of these cheap polishers that I bought at CT. These things are useless for trying to remove scratches on a car.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3834 posts
3928 upvotes
GTA
DdBigs wrote: I've been recommended the porters cable one. I've also been looking for one as I have a black car. I want one safe for beginners
The Porter Cable is safe for beginners. As with any other 8mm free-floating orbital polisher. It is absolutely the beginning in the heirarcy of polisher difficulty. Next comes forced rotation orbital polishers, then rotary polishers.

Other 8mm free-floating orbital polishers include:

-Harbor Freight 6" orbital polisher
-Simoniz 6" orbital polisher
-TORQX random orbital polisher
-Griot's Garage 6" orbital polisher
-Griot's Garage G9
-Rupes / FLEX (higher quality and price)
-3D Products orbital polisher
-WaxedShine orbital polisher
-countless other no-name / Amazon / eBay models

edit: For the record, I have a Porter Cable 7424XP, with a 5" Lake Country backing plate, and 5.5" Lake Country flat pads.
Last edited by derass on Jul 2nd, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9321 posts
1730 upvotes
Toronto
I think one of the major disadvantages of those cheapo ones is it does not allow you to attach the "proper" foam pads necessary for the results you're looking for.
Those terry cloth type things that come standard looks like it can screw up your paint even more or just be ineffective.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2327 posts
1503 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: I think one of the major disadvantages of those cheapo ones is it does not allow you to attach the "proper" foam pads necessary for the results you're looking for.
Those terry cloth type things that come standard looks like it can screw up your paint even more or just be ineffective.
This mother's polish with foam machine application looks like it works amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9321 posts
1730 upvotes
Toronto
zobi123 wrote: This mother's polish with foam machine application looks like it works amazing.
Yeah. You need a proper machine and the proper foam pads to do the job right.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2014
615 posts
88 upvotes
North York, ON
Just curious, how aggressive do you need to be with a Porter-cable polisher to remove clear coat?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11096 posts
6098 upvotes
Markham
Depending on how bad the small scratches are and how nice your car is and if you're just doing it to learn something new for future use, you could buy something like Meguiars Compound and Meguiars Polish and do it by hand.

I probably wouldn't "learn" on a nice car myself.

Doing it by hand It won't be as good or as fast as using a DA polisher but it'll be a way way cheaper when you factor in your have to buy pads of different types etc. and you won't do any [not much at least) damage if doing it by hand.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1528 posts
152 upvotes
Markham
Any recommendations on pads to use with the griots g9 or porter?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1379 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
yellowlight18 wrote: Just curious, how aggressive do you need to be with a Porter-cable polisher to remove clear coat?
I have a porter cable, it's safe and excellent. with yellow pads, you will still be on the safe side. I don't believe any DA like Griot or porter cable will generate enough heat and burn clear coats.

Rotary is a different story, beginners should not even use it.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1528 posts
152 upvotes
Markham

Looks like it takes a lot to burn through the clear. Just watch the edges
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1333 posts
604 upvotes
Ontario
-Griot's Garage 6" orbital polisher
-Griot's Garage G9

Both these have lifetime warranties, I hear their service is good too, fwiw...

I'm using a G9 and like it. Nice amount of power, good grip. Done a few cars with it and 6" Buff & Shine (B&S) pads and they turned out nice. I used to have a Porter Cable 7424 years ago that worked fine too, but it got left behind in a move :(
·Ï¢årµ§·