• May 24th, 2021 12:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2647 posts
1110 upvotes
Quebec

Pool maintenance question

Hi everyone, had my first ever pool last yeah that we destroyed as it was old and rusty, we bought a new one (the whole kit and it just got installed this week)

Setup
Oval 12x24 pool
Saltwater (Astral is the company that makes the chlorinator)
50 000 BTW Heatpump

Everything is plugged working and the water is crystal blue, now the questions

1) Do you recommend a schedule backwash of the pool (ex once per week?) or just when it's really dirty

2) I heard that when the pressure on the manometer is high, that means the sand is dirty and the filter needs a cleanup but I can't find a good number at what the number should be (I'm aware it shouldn't happen the first year but still wanna be sure)

3) the pool shop recommend that the water stays at 70F minimum so that the salt chlorinator works correctly, so I configured the Heatpump at 71 degrees to make sure it higher then 70, I will put the temperature a bit higher when we will be ready to use the pool (we making a new deck so pool issn't really ready to go in yet)

4) As a super cheap guy, is it recommended to keep the heat pump on 24/7 or should I like activate the bypass and turn off the pump at night or something (( know the pump will semi shutdown when its higher then the configured temperature but was just wondering) yesterday it was doing 20degrees outside so water was at 76, but it was so cold tonight at the pump is now working all night to keep water hot (like I said it<s configured at 71)

5) I heard that the saltwater chlorinator takes about 24h to get good reading when you power it on, would it be a good idea to install a timer on the pool motor and heat pump to exemple shut it down at 8PM and start it at 7AM or too risky to break them and just let them run 24/7 (Motor only have 1 speed)

Thanks

Sorry for all these questions but sadly pool shop is all about selling with pandemic and not about after sale service
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5987 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa
Lots of questions and I am not sure that there are universal answers to all of them. Does Quebec have time of use pricing for power? In Ontario, we do so I tend to run my (variable speed) pump at a higher speed overnight - but I live on an estate lot and the pump is inside a cabana so the sound at night bothers nobody.

Backwash when you need to - you will find a schedule that works for you. If you have no trees around you, you will be backwashing less frequently. Plus, above-ground pools don't get as much dirt blown into them as inground ones do. I have an inground pool and am surrounded by trees. Still, I backwash only when I see the performance of my heater or vacuum start to decline - in the spring, it's once or twice weekly but later in the summer, it's more like once a month.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2647 posts
1110 upvotes
Quebec
CaptSmethwick wrote: Lots of questions and I am not sure that there are universal answers to all of them. Does Quebec have time of use pricing for power? In Ontario, we do so I tend to run my (variable speed) pump at a higher speed overnight - but I live on an estate lot and the pump is inside a cabana so the sound at night bothers nobody.

Backwash when you need to - you will find a schedule that works for you. If you have no trees around you, you will be backwashing less frequently. Plus, above-ground pools don't get as much dirt blown into them as inground ones do. I have an inground pool and am surrounded by trees. Still, I backwash only when I see the performance of my heater or vacuum start to decline - in the spring, it's once or twice weekly but later in the summer, it's more like once a month.
In Quebec we don't have time of use pricing for Power

It<s mostly cost this much for first 40 KwH ish consumed per day then its this pricing for the rest

The vacuum you pass it often? or mostly when you see the pool is dirty
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5987 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa
ratatapa wrote: In Quebec we don't have time of use pricing for Power

It<s mostly cost this much for first 40 KwH ish consumed per day then its this pricing for the rest

The vacuum you pass it often? or mostly when you see the pool is dirty
I have a robot vacuum and use it every week. Again, inground pool and surrounded by trees. This spring, it's a pain - pollen and tree debris (flowers, seeds, etc.) seem to be more abundant than usual.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1579 posts
1192 upvotes
Go to TroubleFreePool

They have an amazing forum as well as Pool School. It’s my go to place for pool stuff.