• May 4th, 2017 5:42 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2310 posts
849 upvotes

Pool Plumbing PVC Piping

I need to install a check valve on my pool plumbing. Does anyone know if there is a certain grade of PVC piping required?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1599 posts
476 upvotes
Mississauga
Lowe's carries it or poolsuppliescanada.com
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11980 posts
7134 upvotes
Paris
I find Home Hardware to be cheaper than Lowe's for all Schedule 40 pipe by 10% on pipe and 30-40% on fittings. Just my experience.
Jul 7, 2007
498 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
Newbie here to pools as I am currently in the process of researching pools.....does it really matter is the pvc pipe is flex or hard?
I know that hard is better quality, but it seems most installers offer flex.....
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11980 posts
7134 upvotes
Paris
fliime wrote: Newbie here to pools as I am currently in the process of researching pools.....does it really matter is the pvc pipe is flex or hard?
I know that hard is better quality, but it seems most installers offer flex.....
Flexible pipe (liquid or air) slows down the thing being pumped as the ribs in flexible pipe don't allow the medium to run as fast at the walls.

So with flexible pipe, you might not get the same volume. My experience is more with dust collector planning, but it holds true for liquids as well. The rule of thumb for vacuums was 3 feet of flex = 9 feet of smooth. Same with elbows... 1 elbow = 3 feet of pipe. Those are just the easy calculations... Real head and pressure calculations are more accurate.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4271 posts
1869 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Flexible pipe (liquid or air) slows down the thing being pumped as the ribs in flexible pipe don't allow the medium to run as fast at the walls.

So with flexible pipe, you might not get the same volume. My experience is more with dust collector planning, but it holds true for liquids as well. The rule of thumb for vacuums was 3 feet of flex = 9 feet of smooth. Same with elbows... 1 elbow = 3 feet of pipe. Those are just the easy calculations... Real head and pressure calculations are more accurate.
+1

Not to forget the added stress on the pump/motor providing the pressure/vacuum... likely reducing performance and longevity
Sep 25, 2003
284 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
Flex is easier to install. You can get smooth walled pipe that glue into the same fittings as hard pipe. They also come in 50 ft rolls so less glued joints to deal with. PVC pipe will come in 10 ft section at the big box stores.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1599 posts
476 upvotes
Mississauga
For our climate tigerflex smooth walled flex pvc pipe is the way to go underground. They sell 100 foot rolls. If you use hard pipe underground and if the ground shifts in the winter the hard pipe has a chance of cracking. IMO flex pipe is better for piece of mind. If there ever was to be a leak it would be at the pad or at your pool wall. Basically use hard pipe sced 40 pvc pipe to plumb your pad (pumps,filters, heaters valves etc.) I also use hard pipe for Skimmers, returns and then the hardpipe glues right into Flex pipe underground. This is the way its done here. You could use hardpipe underground if u wanted too its not the wrong way but why would you. Flex pipe pvc has come a long way in the past 20 years.
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"