Dec 21, 2009
1391 posts
118 upvotes
Niagara Falls

Poor Landscaping Job

Long story short:

My wife & I hired a local landscaper to do the following:

Remove an old shed and trash it
Level our backyard by removing 2 garden beds (15 feet)
Remove & re-level existing patio stones (typical cement stones that come with most homes, approx 15x15)
Dethatch lawn
Edge front garden beds (2, small)
Apply seed and weed control
Spring cleaning/curb appeal (removal of leaves, etc).

$1300

I made the first time home owner mistake of sending the final payment before the work was complete as we were in the midst of wedding planning/flying to get married. Lesson learned.

What happened:

The landscaper has put off finishing the edging 7 times in the past 3 weeks. I had been hoping to have a conversation with him/then when they came to do the edging about the following:

The front lawn was still littered in rocks from our driveway. It was evident it was not cleaned up.

The patio stones could not be leveled due to concrete found underneath that would need to be drilled out. The patio stones were placed back as they were, horrible looking and crooked. We were still charged the full $400 fee for this, though no levelling was done.

I did not want to text/email these concerns and risk them disappearing.

I was very polite, consistently saying “sure, no problem” every time I was given another excuse and new timeline.

I finally called and left a voicemail today asking if the work would be done this week, or if I should get a quote from another company and we can discuss a partial refund for the work not completed. I’d had enough.

I now received an angry text message from the landscaper stating he will e-transfer us $75 and cease all business between us.

What are my options here? We paid via credit card for the points. Can we dispute the charge?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9677 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
Nurse2B wrote: What are my options here? We paid via credit card for the points. Can we dispute the charge?
I would. Detail what he hasn’t done with pictures.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: I would. Detail what he hasn’t done with pictures.
To be frank...the $1300 seems really low for what is quoted. Was there only one person working or multiple? By your estimation, how many man hours do you think he has put in?
If there's concrete under the patio stones, I don't think you can expect him to level with the concrete underneath if he didn't/couldn't know there was concrete underneath.
Did you have to pay for dumping of the shed or was that included? What do you mean by Level the backyard? Was material extra? You say your lawn is littered with rocks...where did the rocks go?

I think the landscaper realized he under quoted and didn't want to come back. Was the job broken down for each item?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1391 posts
118 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It was broken down for each item.

Our property is not very large. We live in a semi.

It was one person working and a total of 1.5 days was spent. Approx 10 hours total.

The dumping of the shed was included in the garbage removal portion of the cost.

By levelling the backyard I mean he had to remove 2 garden beds. One being approx 20 feet along the side of our yard, and one being approx 10 feet along the back wall of our yard.

The rocks are from the driveway that isn’t paved yet. When shoveling in the winter, many found their way to the lawn.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9677 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
gr8dlr wrote: To be frank...the $1300 seems really low for what is quoted.
I agree it seems cheap but if its a handyman (which is what it sounds like) its not unheard of.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: I agree it seems cheap but if its a handyman (which is what it sounds like) its not unheard of.
Still way too cheap if it includes materials/dumping etc.
You say he spent 10 hours but you have to also factor in driving/pickup of materials etc. He's likely earned minimum $500 (just for onsite time) already plus he needs compensation for materials and dumping fees.

Ask him to itemize his costs and time.

Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9677 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
gr8dlr wrote: Ask him to itemize his costs and time.
You know I’m not OP right?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: You know I’m not OP right?
yes.

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1293 upvotes
Jerico wrote: I agree it seems cheap but if its a handyman (which is what it sounds like) its not unheard of.
First thing i thought when i saw the price as well. Way to cheap
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9985 posts
1870 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Still way too cheap if it includes materials/dumping etc.
You say he spent 10 hours but you have to also factor in driving/pickup of materials etc. He's likely earned minimum $500 (just for onsite time) already plus he needs compensation for materials and dumping fees.

Ask him to itemize his costs and time.
I thought $1300 was way too cheap as well. I was expecting $3000 from all that work

Sorry to hear OP.