Cell Phones

Poor network on Cityfone (a Rogers MVNO)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2017 6:12 am
[OP]
Oct 18, 2017
13 posts
25 upvotes

Poor network on Cityfone (a Rogers MVNO)

I just got a tablet plan with Cityfone (on the Rogers network), that I'm using with a Nexus 5 (a smartphone, but it still works). With Koodo I had great reception, and being very close to Montreal, I would expect very good reception on the Rogers network too.

Am I wrong to expect Rogers-level network performance from Cityfone? Could my phone be worse at handling Rogers' network than Koodo's (Telus')?
4 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13954 posts
11581 upvotes
Leask
Not sure whether you'd get LTE on Robbers network on Cityfone.

You on the tablet plan to use the Nexus 5 as a hotspot? QC postpaid plans with the big three are already fairly affordable. Alternatively, for a tablet plan, probably better to go with Fido, since it's LTE for sure.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2701 upvotes
ON
Nothing in your post suggests an issue with cityfone per se, just that it's not as good as telus network.
It could just be a bad reception area for rogers. Without trying another rogers brand, can't know for sure.
Your nexus 5 should be capable of receiving the main bands used by the rogers network, so it's not like you're missing a critical frequency as might be the case with a cheap chinese phone.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4255 posts
1580 upvotes
GTA
thecatelier wrote: With Koodo I had great reception, and being very close to Montreal, I would expect very good reception on the Rogers network too.
I had the exact same issue, rogers would only work in one room of my house while bell worked even in the deepest darkest corner of the basement, i switched to bell.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13954 posts
11581 upvotes
Leask
shabby wrote: I had the exact same issue, rogers would only work in one room of my house while bell worked even in the deepest darkest corner of the basement, i switched to bell.
Rogers reaches all but our basement, that's why no one in our home uses Robbers anymore. Not gonna spend on a cell booster when Bellus network does the trick.
No solicitation in sigs