• Jul 11th, 2020 3:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18008 posts
12716 upvotes
Markham

Pop Ups and home based food selling

Seeing more and more of these types of food "operations" and was wondering aren't these against by-laws/food hygiene regs? You'd think you don't want to bring any attention to yourself if this is what you're doing.

https://torontolife.com/food/torontos-s ... ack-porch/

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/0 ... -ribs.html

https://torontolife.com/food/this-guy-t ... his-world/

I'm guessing this is likely a case of you're OK until you're not (ie the wrong ppl "find" you).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2019
6197 posts
37034 upvotes
Ontario
The first guy only made 10 pizzas, one day a week. Now that restrictions are lifting he will go back to running his construction company.

The second guy is illegally BBQing and selling ribs ( even mentions not using his last name on the article to protect himself).

The third guy’s entire property is licensed. Also
has years of experience in the food industry—restaurateur, Chopped Canada contestant, chief advisor on Ontario’s Healthy School initiatives, head of the Culinary Arts and Chef Training department at Burlington’s Robert Bateman High School.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
672 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I don't understand this either. Back-porch pizza guy gets a lot of credit for doing what he has to do to earn a living in these times but I'm wondering if he has the proper permits (probably not), and CRA could be coming after him as well. I think I would have kept it a word-of-mouth business only.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1448 posts
2093 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote: I don't understand this either. Back-porch pizza guy gets a lot of credit for doing what he has to do to earn a living in these times but I'm wondering if he has the proper permits (probably not), and CRA could be coming after him as well. I think I would have kept it a word-of-mouth business only.
Permits? Permits? We don't need no stinking permits.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
The first 2 are illegally skirting health department inspections and regulations, not to mention competing unfairly against established businesses who pay all sorts of "costs" and charge sales tax to run their business which the first 2 are not paying,

The 3rd shouldn't belong as it is licensed and is doing things right.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18008 posts
12716 upvotes
Markham
HghSsociety wrote: The first 2 are illegally skirting health department inspections and regulations, not to mention competing unfairly against established businesses who pay all sorts of "costs" and charge sales tax to run their business which the first 2 are not paying,

The 3rd shouldn't belong as it is licensed and is doing things right.
I'd bet the 3rd is not licensed as well. It's likely set up as a culinary institute for teaching not likely a restaurant.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I'd bet the 3rd is not licensed as well. It's likely set up as a culinary institute for teaching not likely a restaurant.
If @Pardon's post is right about the guy's credentials he has a lot more to lose in reputation than the cost of not licensing properly.
Besides... there's a bunch of cooking schools here that operate as licensed restaurants.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)