Mar 7, 2005
17870 posts
927 upvotes
Tried the Popeyes one it was insanely grease logged, not a fan of this one
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3672 posts
2914 upvotes
Tried it just now at Popeyes in Aurora. it was made fresh and lineup was only like 5-10mins

It's pretty good, the batter is crispier/crunchier and lighter than I expected. Bun was decent and sandwich seems bigger than CFA

Still think big Mary has bigger piece of chicken but I like the bun more on Popeyes. I can't decide which I like more as they're different with how the batter is for the chicken. The bun is clearly better for Popeyes compared to MB or Chuck's , but I think I like the chicken for Chuck's the most, then MB, Popeyes and CFA last

My preference is still Chuck's, Mary brown/Popeyes followed by CFA
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1390 posts
849 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Tried it just now at Popeyes in Aurora. it was made fresh and lineup was only like 5-10mins

It's pretty good, the batter is crispier/crunchier and lighter than I expected. Bun was decent and sandwich seems bigger than CFA

Still think big Mary has bigger piece of chicken but I like the bun more on Popeyes. I can't decide which I like more as they're different with how the batter is for the chicken. The bun is clearly better for Popeyes compared to MB or Chuck's , but I think I like the chicken for Chuck's the most, then MB, Popeyes and CFA last

My preference is still Chuck's, Mary brown/Popeyes followed by CFA
I didn't like Popeye's bun, it's a drier kind of brioche, something like what McDonald's changed to for their bigmac. The chicken is good, but over fried, that could be location dependent though.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16077 posts
3501 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: My preference is still Chuck's, Mary brown/Popeyes followed by CFA
Did you try KFC's new Famous Chicken Chicken sandwich? I may not be a fan of their chicken, but their sandwiches deserve credit for being better than their chicken.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Sep 18th, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17870 posts
927 upvotes
What's the new KFC sandwich called? I'm guessing it's diff from the Big Crunch or whatever.. Maybe I'll check em out this weekend
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11421 posts
2000 upvotes
Toronto
To be frank, these chicken sandwiches, while good eating it, just feels too heavy or unsettling after.

I miss the KFC Big Crunch when it first came out. Late 90s maybe? It wasn't overpowering regarding the breading, but hit all the right spots. And it was BIG. Recent years, they completely cheaped out on it and it turned into a McDonald's type McChicken before this reinvention.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes
I tried the new (to Canada) Popeye's sandwich this past week. Major failure due to... laziness and overreaction.

My local store makes so many of these sandwiches in advance, bags them, then puts the bags (stacked 6 high!) under the same heat lamps as the fried chicken. So when you get one, it was probably in there for awhile.

So what happens is, the heat from the chicken gives off a lot of steam which makes the bun soggy AND soaks into the breading of the chicken, so when you take a bite, breading often peels/slides off the chicken breast meat.

This is the complete opposite of how it was when I tried it in Niagara Falls, NY back in December - that sandwich was made to order (I had to wait 10 minutes for it) and by comparison, the breading that day was so thick and hard it rattled my teeth when I bit in. So maybe half an hour under the heat lamp is a blessing in disguise?

I did like that Popeye's slices their pickles a lot thicker than CFA (and properly places them IN the sandwich, not stupidly balances them on top of the bun like Mary - who's wise idea was that? Imagine McDonald's putting the pickles on top of a Big Mac... ridiculous). But overall I was not impressed with either iteration of the Popeye's sandwich.

Chick-Fil-A still wins by default, for being 1-the original that everybody else is copying 2-NOT HALAL (this also disqualifies Mary Browns and most KFC's).
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes
They'll open on Sundays before they do that. Chick-Fil-A stands by their principles. Don't like it, too bad so sad.

Also as discussed in another thread, Sikhs are prohibited from eating halal. So CFA gives them a great option for chicken especially here in the GTA (and the GVRD eventually) where halal seems to have hijacked every chicken place except one.
metro-vancouver-fried-chicken-2308609/#p31349144
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1946 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
I had one as my son was going on and on about it and I brought into the hype but it was way too greasy for me and like someone said above this kind of food is so heavy and I never feel 'right' for a short time after eating.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Odd I/O