Food & Drink

Popeye's famed chicken sandwich coming to Canada. Sept 14

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 12:51 am
Dec 14, 2010
479 posts
180 upvotes
I definitely recommend waiting a week or two until the hype dies down. I absolutely loved the two sandwiches I got in Windsor (one of the early release locations). The chicken was super crispy and there was an ample amount of sauce. Got one today and can definitely tell they are being pre-made due to the amount of people ordering them. The wrapper around my sandwich was soggy and the chicken itself wasn't even crispy anymore. Sauce had also soaked into the bun so you really couldn't taste it anymore.
Jan 19, 2013
15 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
berieberie wrote: Got one today and can definitely tell they are being pre-made due to the amount of people ordering them. The wrapper around my sandwich was soggy and the chicken itself wasn't even crispy anymore. Sauce had also soaked into the bun so you really couldn't taste it anymore.
Pro-tip for this would be to ask for pickles on the side or some other minor modification so they make you a fresh one
Jul 15, 2006
868 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The sandwich was decent, not even remotely as good as it was hyped. The fried pc of chicken in the sandwich is definitely better, but the bun was overly greasy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6998 posts
4169 upvotes
Victoria, BC
mrweather wrote: My son had a McChicken a couple of years ago and he said it was nothing but a salty mess.
They are gross now, which is a shame because they were a really good sandwich when they first came out in the early 80s. The Junior McChickens aren't bad. Taste much better than the regular ones.
Feb 5, 2007
569 posts
195 upvotes
Mississauga
Had both.

Bun- Popeyes clear winner
Spice- Popeyes clear winner
Chicken: Popeyes was crunchier IMO but I think KFC tasted meatier. The actual fillet size itself I think popeyes was slightly bigger
Size: I think popeyes was slightly larger. But no way I'm buying $5.99 in future

Overall: I think I liked popeyes more but never really buying again

Next up: Free Mary Brown's sandwich
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
leeoku wrote: Next up: Free Mary Brown's sandwich
Free when you sign up for the app, but after that, if you like the sandwich, don't forget Mary Brown's sandwich is only $3.99 on Mondays.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Feb 5, 2007
569 posts
195 upvotes
Mississauga
playnicee1 wrote: Free when you sign up for the app, but after that, if you like the sandwich, don't forget Mary Brown's sandwich is only $3.99 on Mondays.
regardless of location i aint paying 5.99 for a chicken sandwich
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
KFC sandwich "healthier" @ 2:07

Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
leeoku wrote: regardless of location i aint paying 5.99 for a chicken sandwich
It's $3.99 for a Mary Brown's chicken sandwich on Mondays, but you're right...small print does read "prices may vary by region"
Hopefully your nearest location is participating in the $3.99 price.

Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11407 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote: They are gross now, which is a shame because they were a really good sandwich when they first came out in the early 80s. The Junior McChickens aren't bad. Taste much better than the regular ones.
It used to have a crunch and you could differentiate the difference between bun and meat part. Now it's just a soggy discombobulated mess.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10772 posts
3324 upvotes
leeoku wrote: Had both.

Bun- Popeyes clear winner
Spice- Popeyes clear winner
Chicken: Popeyes was crunchier IMO but I think KFC tasted meatier. The actual fillet size itself I think popeyes was slightly bigger
Size: I think popeyes was slightly larger. But no way I'm buying $5.99 in future

Overall: I think I liked popeyes more but never really buying again

Next up: Free Mary Brown's sandwich
I really like the 11 herbs and spices KFC had. KFC definitely was meatier also IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5602 posts
2790 upvotes
Mississauga
at1212b wrote: It used to have a crunch and you could differentiate the difference between bun and meat part. Now it's just a soggy discombobulated mess.
I suspect that's because they've premade a bunch of sandwiches in anticipation of the demand. If you were to order something custom (no pickle, etc.) it should be made fresh.

The one I tried a few months ago at a Popeye's in London wasn't a soggy mess but I found the chicken was just too greasy.

The Big Mary I've had before and quite liked it. I haven't had a KFC chicken sandwich in years so I can't comment.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11407 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: I suspect that's because they've premade a bunch of sandwiches in anticipation of the demand. If you were to order something custom (no pickle, etc.) it should be made fresh.

The one I tried a few months ago at a Popeye's in London wasn't a soggy mess but I found the chicken was just too greasy.

The Big Mary I've had before and quite liked it. I haven't had a KFC chicken sandwich in years so I can't comment.
I'm referring to the McDonald's McChicken. Used to be good way back.

I tried the Popeye's. I went around lunch time on Monday. Nobody was ordering it. My wife and I got it, and we really liked it, but it still felt like too much.. but that's more my age and lack of exercise since Lockdown.

I was tempted to try the KFC one yesterday but they had already sold out by evening. While these chicken sandwiches are good, I'm not a big convert of them. Once in awhile is good, but can't have too many.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5720 posts
1848 upvotes
If you think about it, these chicken sandwiches is basically 1 pc of chicken for $6 or $7. Now, I know they bread them differently from their regular bone-in chicken pcs, but still, its basically 1 pc breast with bread, mayo, & pickles for $6 or $7 + tax. I'll take bone-in fried chicken over a 1 pc sandwich at $6 or $7 + tax (I don't even like mayo lol, never eat it except on a chicken sandwich)