popping/banging noise in house

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2020 1:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 4, 2020
5 posts

popping/banging noise in house

We have a two story fully finished home thats about 25 yrs old. For several years we have had a popping/banging noise in the ceiling between floors. Its seriously driving us crazy! We don't know who to call to get this fixed and don't have a lot of money to assess. We have turned the water off, drained everything. We have pulled the fridge and dishwasher. We don't have cracks in the walls showing foundation issues. This noise happens 12 mths of the year so isn't a temperature thing. It happens every 2 minutes 24 hrs a day regardless of whats happening in the house. We don't think it has anything to do with the pipes, the furnace or the foundation. We have friends that are contractors and they re stumped as well! HELP!
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4577 upvotes
Alberta
House is haunted you need an exorcist not a contractor.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3584 posts
935 upvotes
So if your contractors friends are stumped, how do you expect random people over the internet to help without pictures or a video?

Where in the house is it coming from? have you turned the water off to the entire house and drained the lines while at the same time making sure the furnace and fans are off?

Maybe it's an animal that's stuck or you do actually need a priest.

Anyone know if priests will do house calls during covid?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4045 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
You're going to have to rip open a ceiling and stick your head there until you hear it again.

I'm sure there is a logical reason for this
[OP]
Apr 4, 2020
5 posts
Trying to prevent ripping the ceiling off,hoping people might have some advice or experienced this and know what it is
[OP]
Apr 4, 2020
5 posts
Yes we have turned water off and drained. It happens in the summer too when the furnace is off
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11952 posts
8621 upvotes
GTA, ON
Ducting that attached to an exhaust fan?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6047 posts
2677 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Every 2 minutes - exact intervals or roughly? Even when the water is turned off at the intake? Turn off power too just to eliminate that.

Need to try to listen to where it is coming from as other say.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9937 posts
5228 upvotes
Paris
Cease all motor function. Drain taps, shut off main to house, remove cable lines coming in and disconnect telephone line. Kill power at the electrical panel. If thats not it, look for missing house pet. Use a stethoscope to listen in wall once everything is off.

If literally everything is off, its biological (aka a mouse)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4839 posts
1373 upvotes
It's 100% the hot water line

How are you heating your hot water?
Let's hug it out
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15861 posts
13076 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Good lord ...
Every 2 minutes 24 hours a day x 365
And you’ve been putting up with it for several years

Man, I would have been sacrificing that ceiling in week 2

I get money is an issue
And home repairs aren’t cheap

But that noise would drive me nuts

Sides, for all you know it could be a “bell tolling” telling you that bigger crap is about to fall apart
That will cost you more money to fix the longer you let it fester

Ya needs to get that dang ceiling off now
And find out for once and for all what’s happening hidden from view
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1657 posts
1338 upvotes
Wendizzle wrote: Trying to prevent ripping the ceiling off,hoping people might have some advice or experienced this and know what it is
Do you have carpet on the second floor? If so then you DON'T need to open the ceiling. Pull the carpet and cut a hole in the floor. I've done that a few times in my house as well as houses of friends who had a problem. Let me know if you need more details.
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7386 posts
752 upvotes
Toronto
Can you record the sound/video for us and post it online?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4338 posts
556 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Any dryer or bathroom vents going outside at floor level outside, could be the damperner opening and slamming shut with wind/air pressure.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15061 posts
2645 upvotes
Have you tried to introduce the cascading sound of the Amazon waterfalls and rare bird sounds?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1619 posts
673 upvotes
London
Did you notice this before you moved in? Did you live there for awhile before it started? Have you changed the house in any way? Does it happen when there is no movement in the house (everyone sitting still)? Where is it the loudest? So many possible questions.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1619 posts
673 upvotes
London
When we first moved into our first (new build) home, they forgot to take the cap off of the plumbing vent and the whole system made clunking noises and toilets wouldn’t flush properly, but once removed there was no issue. I recall seeing a this old house video where the vent pipe was rubbing against the plywood in the attic making a noise as well.

I think OP is going to get a lot of randomly thought of replies if he can’t be more specific on the character of the noise (vs how he has tried to solve the issue).