Food & Drink

A popular plant-based egg replacement is about to be available in Canada. Name is JUST Plant Egg

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 10:33 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1890 posts
3775 upvotes
union station, TO

A popular plant-based egg replacement is about to be available in Canada. Name is JUST Plant Egg

JUST Plant Egg is going to be available at Whole Foods Market and select Walmart stores across the country, as of this fall.

Eat Just, Inc. applies cutting-edge science and technology to create healthier, more sustainable foods and, according to the company, Canada is one of the most requested markets for the egg replacement.

This is the version of the product Canadians will find, sold in boxes of four, in the frozen food section of the aforementioned grocers.
JUST Plant Egg is free of cholesterol and “has as much or more protein than many animal proteins” at 7g per serving. What’s more, the product is Non-GMO Project verified, egg-free, dairy-free, has no artificial flavours, and its ingredients use 98% less water, have a 93% smaller carbon footprint and use 86% less land than conventional animal sources.

Protein from the mung bean is a key ingredient.

4 for $6.99

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/justegg ... ble-canada
https://www.ju.st/en-us/contact
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1193 posts
205 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
Wow finally JUST egg is coming to Canada. I'm looking forward to this. As a vegan i can use this to make french toast, pancakes and scrambled eggs.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14465 posts
9262 upvotes
Markham
If you gotta write this much marketing hype, you gotta wonder about it. Would you really want to eat EGG or

JUST Plant Egg is free of cholesterol and “has as much or more protein than many animal proteins” at 7g per serving. What’s more, the product is Non-GMO Project verified, egg-free, dairy-free, has no artificial flavours, and its ingredients use 98% less water, have a 93% smaller carbon footprint and use 86% less land than conventional animal sources.

Maybe we should just eat more Mung Beans

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mung-beans

If you're into healthy, I think it's way better to look for homemade substitutes than then Frankenstein'd versions

https://minimalistbaker.com/fluffy-vega ... bled-eggs/

Ingredients: split mung beans, black salt or sea salt, onion powder, ground turmeric, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, white rice flour, baking powder

Vs

Just Egg:

Ingredients: Water, Mung Bean Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Corn Starch, Contains less than 2% of Baking Powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, monocalcium phosphate), Dehydrated Garlic, Dehydrated Onion, Natural Carrot Extractives (color), Natural Turmeric Extractives (color), Salt, Transglutaminase.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46874 posts
9998 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
gr8dlr wrote: If you gotta write this much marketing hype, you gotta wonder about it. Would you really want to eat EGG or

Maybe we should just eat more Mung Beans

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mung-beans

If you're into healthy, I think it's way better to look for homemade substitutes than then Frankenstein'd versions

https://minimalistbaker.com/fluffy-vega ... bled-eggs/

Ingredients: split mung beans, black salt or sea salt, onion powder, ground turmeric, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, white rice flour, baking powder

Vs

Just Egg:

Ingredients: Water, Mung Bean Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Corn Starch, Contains less than 2% of Baking Powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, monocalcium phosphate), Dehydrated Garlic, Dehydrated Onion, Natural Carrot Extractives (color), Natural Turmeric Extractives (color), Salt, Transglutaminase.
Theres also the ethical and possibly religious aspect of eating vegan.
It isnt always about health. Being vegan is incredibly unhealthy as you miss out on certain enzymes and amino acids. Plant based protein is just low quality in general.

Plant based foods and diets put less pressure on our environment and natural resources.
Some people also don’t want to harm animals.

You probably know this... i’m a huge meat eater. I’ve made a little over 250 pounds of brisket within the past 12 months. That doesnt include other meat.
However i still eat entire meals or days worth of vegan meals to help lower the impact.

I know i know... its poser’ish Like the guys who drive a tesla pretend they’re green... lol.
But at least those vegan meals stop me from making another 5 pounds of meat!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28005 posts
13611 upvotes
I wonder how well it actually performs culinarily.
Stuff is just hard to substitute for with 100% success.
Most times it's usually 10% success.

This is why gelatin, gluten, meat, and the thousands of other things that people sub for usually result in.... varied successes.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12334 posts
1945 upvotes
Kanata
Everyone has their reasons for being vegan. We don't have to agree with them, but we should respect it. Someone else being vegan, or not being vegan, doesn't change my mind about how I live my life. I am secure in the decisions I make about what I eat and do not eat. We all should be. If we aren't, then we should be looking further into ourselves, and not others.

This looks interesting for the vegans. I am hopeful it is worth it for them, and they are happy to eat it. They mention that it would be available at Walmart so I will keep an eye out if it shows up around here.

Just a note, that not all vegans are cooks or love cooking. Any more than all meat eaters are really people who love to cook either. Maybe some vegans like the franken/fake "meat alternatives" that are easy to make. Good for them, and I hope it meets their expectations.

Never hurts for vegans to have options, to enjoy eating what they want. They don't need to justify it to me, or anyone else, for that matter.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9741 posts
4051 upvotes
Toronto
Here’s an idea. Let’s take one of the most perfect foods, make some vastly inferior Franken version of it, charge much for more it than the real thing, and watch the suckers (I’ll exclude anyone with a legit egg allergy from this mockery) pay for it.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28005 posts
13611 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: Here’s an idea. Let’s take one of the most perfect foods, make some vastly inferior Franken version of it, charge much for more it than the real thing, and watch the suckers (I’ll exclude anyone with a legit egg allergy from this mockery) pay for it.
To be honest... I actually like this trend.
Look at Gluten free. Sure we get a bunch of idiots that don't know what gluten is claiming they're now allergic for some reason but the other side of the coin means that someone that's actually celiac can now eat something that's vaguely like bread.
If gluten free didn't become a fad they'd have to explain for the 300th time that no, they can't have soy sauce on their noodles. And that noodles are also out.
But there's nothing worse than me sanitizing the entire building and then have a customer say "Oh I can have a little bit of gluten"

That said... I basically agree with you. Replacements don't make sense to me since they typically do a poor job at replacing things. But I also don't have any allergies.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13733 posts
2436 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Just eat the beans.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Mar 12, 2015
80 posts
20 upvotes
North York, ON
It's not just about health. The way animals are raised in 95% of the meat we eat are terrible. I feel so bad for them, they can't even move because they put physical barriers to minimize space.

At least less male baby chicks are ground up alive if people eat less eggs.

I believe that we should be thankful to each animal we choose to get products from whether it's food, clothes or anything else, and treat them with respect while they are alive.

Also, the way animals are raised in most animal farming in Canada is a pandemic risk (they do try to reduce it with antibiotics).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5126 posts
2025 upvotes
Pathetic.

Just harvest the grass on your lawn and eat that .... if cows and sheep are eating that ... its safe.

No meat = death.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1869 upvotes
Scarborough
ShoNuff2 wrote: Here’s an idea. Let’s take one of the most perfect foods, make some vastly inferior Franken version of it, charge much for more it than the real thing, and watch the suckers pay for it.
Tim Hortons approves of this message.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10348 posts
4794 upvotes
Great legume based egg substitutes have been around for 30+ years - I am thinking Fantastic Food Tofu Scrambler (RIP) from my uni days...it's not hard to make a good faux egg product. I wouldn't be afraid to try these.

Mad about the prices though!