• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2021 7:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8892 posts
687 upvotes

Porch enclosures

I wonder what are the major differences between the all glass enclosures and those typical ones I see with vinyl/aluminium panels.

I personally like the look of all glass, and I assume it will be more expensive. I wonder if there is any drawback with it.

Thanks

52 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1001 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing to contribute, but I would go with all glass if money is no object.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
One is like a shower and one is like a room. Example, the shower is not sealed against wind unlike the room.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15696 posts
13411 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The aluminum ones are gross AF. The glass one looks a million times better.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9490 posts
2032 upvotes
Somewhere
There used to be a dude on this forum that does porch enclosures for a living.

Several RFDers got theirs done through him and gave him great reviews. I wonder if he's still around.

But yeah, I wonder how well the all glass ones hold up against strong storms.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1440 posts
530 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
The second one is beyond horrible. The first one looks like a shower enclosure, but at least its better than no. 2.
Most of the time, I see people using option no. 2. They never, never, never, look good. I wouldn't even consider either one.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28513 posts
13858 upvotes
Toronto
the glass one is very modern and nice but does not have much ventilation of letting out trapped heat (.. think of it like a sauna effect). This could be a big issue if the sun shines directly onto the front and trapping hot air inside the enclosed area for like 10+ hrs every day. Your door, windows (if any) and paint could have accelerated wear issue down the road
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
928 upvotes
Newmarket
The first one would look good (IMO) if this was an entrance to an office or a boutique, the second one is just plain ugly. I am also not sure what practical purpose they serve at the entrance, sunroom in the back is a different story.
Modern glass on traditional house looks just out of place.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7969 posts
2662 upvotes
Maple
heavier and breakable for glass but looks cleaner and expensive
lighter and durable for vinyl/aluminium panels , look cheap and cheaper in price
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2626 posts
442 upvotes
first one is most likely temper glass, more expensive.

second one is regular glass and just look ugly nowadays - from the 80s
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario
I think these things almost always look terrible.
Mar 20, 2018
104 posts
77 upvotes
I saw first hand a frameless glass enclosure smashed to bits when the front door was caught by the wind. It was a crazy windy day.
😎
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15445 posts
12647 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The first one is very nice
But my concerns would be that’s it not really practical
With no means of air circulation, it’s not much more than a glass sauna come Summer

I personally, like the retractable invisible screens that are so common place all over the US South
Whether you have a back patio type situation, where the screens go from the ceiling to the floor
Or a regular front porch with railings, where the screens go either ceiling to floor, or just down to the header of the railings / side walls

These systems are truly awesome

Screens when you want / need them
And gone when you don’t
And not ugly at all

https://www.front-porch-ideas-and-more. ... LOqZAy.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5033 upvotes
Paris
The standard version in that picture is easily 10k-12k or more installed. The glass one, enclosing a smaller area, is probably $15k.

For what they cost, I don’t really like them (and we sell and install them).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7357 posts
743 upvotes
Toronto
I would much rather have something where the brick/stone fascia goes up halfway, with large windows that have small portions that could open, rather than floor to ceiling glass,
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4804 posts
1335 upvotes
The longer you look at the second one, the uglier it gets.
Let's hug it out
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
I would go with a solid(wood or stone) 1/3 way up and wood framed windows for the rest of the way up to make it look traditional. It can be done right and look appropriate but neither of the 2 examples provided meet that criteria. Walk around some of the older downtown neighbourhoods and you will see the odd example that looks decent. The ones that were done 50-100 years ago are sometimes tastefully done.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5655 posts
3410 upvotes
Those photos are apples and oranges. The first one has the benefit of the stone columns and relatively short spans of glass. The second one has a much longer portion. That needs to be covered so I’m not sure all glass is even possible.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11666 posts
8111 upvotes
GTA, ON
The first one (all glass) definitely looks better than the second, however, as others have pointed out, both have their drawbacks. Both will be a sauna but the first will be worse. The vinyl/aluminum is plain ugly. IMO just leave your porch as is. You went ahead and spent the money to have a home with a porch, why enclose it?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 10, 2005
351 posts
199 upvotes
I really don't see the point of these enclosures.

Are people going to actually be sitting in them? There doesn't look like much room, and wouldn't you rather sit someplace that has more privacy?
In the summer it'll be hot, and I'm sure it'll be cold in the winter.

Plus, I don't think it looks all the great to begin with.