• May 22nd, 2021 7:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal

Pork back ribs vs pork button bones

I'm a novice in this but I'm so addicted haha. They both taste the same but while the weight of the usual packages are about the same, the button bones cost about 1/2 the price but there are way more bones/less meat.

Which do you prefer and which has better value or does it end up being the same?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17761 posts
15216 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
If you are gonna get into serious Barrrr-Beee-Q
Then it’s important that you learn about the cuts of meat from the animals you choose to eat

Here’s a good website that explains Pork Ribs
And what sets each named type apart

* Baby Back Ribs
* Spare Ribs
* St Louis Cut Ribs
* Rib Tips

A pig only has 14 rib bones
So it’s truly all about the butchering ... how they are cut & trimmed / presented
https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/types-of-pork-ribs/

EDIT / ADD ... Meat Cutting is actually quite fascinating
In so much as there can be differences depending on where in the world you are
Example ... North American cuts vs European Cuts
And even US vs Canada ... well as far as nomenclature goes

Cuts of Pork = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_of_pork
Cuts of Beef = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_of_beef
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal
Tx, that's very informative.

I'm just a 'basic' ribs eater and only use my oven. Attached is a pic of the 2 types I encounter regularly in the stores - based on my OP question, which is better value? To me, they both taste similar enough to not be a deal-breaker...although admittedly I prefer the texture of the ribs meat.
ribs.png
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
May 29, 2017
150 posts
29 upvotes
Pork button bones? Is it left over cut bones for soup/stew? How do you cook it to make you so addicted to it? Is it tender like pork back ribs?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal
sharkhead wrote: Pork button bones? Is it left over cut bones for soup/stew? How do you cook it to make you so addicted to it? Is it tender like pork back ribs?
Apparently it's near the base of the spine? Tastes same as ribs but it's a bit of a pita to eat because there are LOTS of bone and not as much meat.

I just buy those packages, so just throw into the oven.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10273 posts
4724 upvotes
It is the end of the rib & mostly cartilage. It is cheap because it is hard to eat. The cartilage weighs less than bone so it is probably still a value.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1975 posts
1469 upvotes
GTA West
lecale wrote: It is the end of the rib & mostly cartilage. It is cheap because it is hard to eat. The cartilage weighs less than bone so it is probably still a value.
The bones are like cartilage but there seems to be plenty of meat on them and they are a favourite with my wife and her family. I don't find them hard to eat as we are not people who need everything to fall off the bone lol. We BBQ them like any other rib.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10273 posts
4724 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: The bones are like cartilage but there seems to be plenty of meat on them and they are a favourite with my wife and her family. I don't find them hard to eat as we are not people who need everything to fall off the bone lol. We BBQ them like any other rib.
I like them too but there are people who really strongly prefer the one single distinct bone per rib, which is why they are cut price. My buddy will not eat them. He whines too much when challenged with them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13600 upvotes
I mean... if you like them who are we to complain?

I'd pick back ribs all day long, but that's just me.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.