Porkbun.com

Free .design domain for 1 year

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2020 8:07 am
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2018
1358 posts
3524 upvotes
muratp wrote: r/choosingbeggars : Gets free domain but still complains about having to give credit card info.
The credit card step is there to avoid abuse. Also the website will want to make money from hosting, renewals etc.
If you really don't want to share your credit card info, there are so many ways to get a "throwaway" credit card (Privacy.com, prepaid debits etc)

Because it's ridiculous for them to make money, they need to give out everything for free. /s
You can't be a choosing beggar when the transaction is mutually beneficial. You're wrongfully assuming here that cc info is worthless and without value in this transaction when it's literally the complete opposite and the very reason they're asking for it is probably in hopes that you renew or forget about the future charge in a year.
like I mentioned in previous comment that you seem to have gleefully skipped right over, there are many ways to prevent abuse that doesn't involve farming people cc info.

Also for your last point, nobody has claimed that anywhere, you just made up that position just now out of thin air so that you can attack it lmao.
The contention is that it's ALREADY FREE and nobody asked or begged for it so don't ask for payment method on free items and only ask for it when the times comes to renew. If you don't understand that this is a predatory practice, then you are lost.
I have spoken
May 4, 2017
176 posts
195 upvotes
Montreal
almasyseifer wrote: You can't be a choosing beggar when the transaction is mutually beneficial. You're wrongfully assuming here that cc info is worthless and without value in this transaction when it's literally the complete opposite and the very reason they're asking for it is probably in hopes that you renew or forget about the future charge in a year.
like I mentioned in my previous comment that you seem to have gleefully skipped right over, there are many ways to prevent abuse that doesn't involve farming people cc info.

Also for your last point, nobody has claimed that anywhere, you just made up that position just now out of thin air so that you can attack it lmao.
The contention is that it's ALREADY FREE and nobody asked or begged for it so don't ask for payment method on free items and only ask for it when the times comes to renew. If you don't understand that this is a predatory practice, then you are lost.
All I am saying is that it's normal that they ask for your CC info, and that if you have a problem with that, you can either choose not to get a free domain or create a virtual credit card (from Privacy.com for example, and that's free) Obviously they are expecting you to renew it, and hopefully make some money as a company. This isn't a scam nor a predatory practice, as it says it on the webpage that it'll renew at $35 a year. Also, you don't usually get a domain for a year.
They also explain why they need your credit card information. They even say "Once your order is processed you can turn off auto renewal from within your account and even completely delete your billing information."
I understand that you don't want to give your credit card information to a website that doesn't look super professional, but as I mentioned in my previous comment, you can create a virtual credit card.
Also, the transaction doesn't have to be mutually beneficial. They can't charge your credit card if you turn off auto renewal, and they can't legally sell your credit card info. It also makes sense that they want to keep the .design domains somewhat usable and spam-free, so they're asking for payment info. They could use Paypal, but they didn't. I can't blame them for that. In this case, unless there is a breach, you're not losing anything. IIRC they have to ask for your address and stuff for ICANN registration anyways.
So, your credit card is worthless unless you let them charge you. So it's not mutually beneficial. I could agree with you if you had to sign up for their newsletter or pay some hidden fees or something, but this ultimately IS a good free deal. Not all domain providers accept Paypal as a payment method.
The last part of my comment wasn't necessarily addressed to you, I was jokingly responding to someone else.
PS: Ultimately you can either give them your cc info and get the free domain or pass on the free domain and live your life. Looking for a third option and criticizing them constantly is an r/choosingbeggar behaviour in my opinion.
PPS: "Only ask for it when time comes to renew": You're gonna have a bunch of kids hogging domain names that might get popular in the future, hoping to sell them next year. Alternatively, they're just going to be used for tech support scams.
Laptop: Gigabyte A5 X1 R9-5900HX/RTX3070/64GB
Desktop: i9-12900K/RTX3080/64GB
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3872 posts
3946 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
D0ntgiveajack wrote: i’m going to use this domain to create a new portfolio and get out of my current dead end job.

might make the leap to learn angular or maybe AWS. any suggestions for a wordpress/php/front end dev?
Learn iOS app development and React (or Vue or Angular) seem to be very hot right now.. I'm a designer and thinking about learning React since a meh programmer can get paid a lot more than a good designer nowadays lol.

Buy your name in .com and .ca and have one forward to the other. Don't buy any of these trendy word domains if its for a business (you being the business). They're good for random projects or apps, but beyond that they're useless imo.

Google Domains or Cloudflare domains are both reasonable and don't spam you with BS upgrades. I've heard good things about Porkbun as well but I've never used them.