• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2022 5:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3678 posts
991 upvotes

Portable Car Jump Starter Master Thread

UPDATE[]: Update on the GOOLOO unit linked in the first post: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06X9R ... M3VY&psc=1

I am skeptical of such a small unit as well. This thing has an 800A peak output and but more importantly, like closer to 300-350A in cranking amps. This is not that much. In addition to the guy in the reviews who started his car in a snowy condition as well as the tester who started his JEEP without a battery (not recommended to do this of course), here is some anecdotal experience. Just received the unit this morning and charged it up to the max. Downside, you can only charge it via the 15v/1A input port which is only compatible with the provided wall charger and accessory socket (cigarette lighter) charger. So I assume charging an 18000 mAh battery from 0% would be quite slow and require at least overnight charging. Once it's at 100%, took it to a buddy who has had an older car parked for 5 years with a totally dead battery. Once the GOOLOO unit was attached to the battery, no indicator lights. As per the instruction manual, this means the battery has gone bad. It also said to hold the ON/OFF Switch for a few seconds until the BOOST light (green light) stays on. Went through that and did 2 cranks on the old car. First crank would keep cranking but not start up the car. Did that for 5 seconds. Second crank started it right away. This car has not been started for 5 years and the car's battery was connected and left as is. The recommended battery for this car is rated at 590CCA so given this GOOLOO is only rated at Start Current of 350A (3 secs) and 300 Start Current of 300A (5 secs), it was still able start the car. Conclusion, this is not a severe condition as it's a car and not a massive truck engine and it's not below freezing. But in short, for $75 on sale right now, this unit is worth keeping. The only downside I can see is the lower cranking amps and only being able to charge via a slow 15v/1A port. The bright side of this slow charging port is you can charge it via the cigarette lighter plug that comes with the unit. Hope that helps.

*** end update ***

So, I noticed there is a great car battery thread. I thought we could use a car portable jump starter master thread given that many people are driving their cars less during this Coronavirus outbreak. So many are reporting that their battery have died even with just a few minutes of leaving the lights on. Amazon Canada has a good supply of portable lithium ion batteries that is supposedly able to jump start an automobile. Some are good and some will just NOT do the job.

This is the most comprehensive review video but the better brands are not available in Canada.

This is someone showing the 800A unit working after 30 days of not starting his vehicle, which is in the extreme (snow) cold and it worked:

Here is a reviewer who used the older 600A one to start a Jeep without the car battery!

Let's use all RFD personal experience and expertise and create a master thread about portable portable jump starter. Let me start with 1 find. After extensive reading of reviews and videos, this one seems like a good mid-level jump starter. And seller reviews seem more reliable than most on Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06X9R ... M3VY&psc=1

Add brands and units so others can benefit. In fact, if you have technical expertise to add, do share. Watts, amps, mAh, voltage are difficult to grasp for the average joe.

Go!
Last edited by bowmah on Apr 7th, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
130 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37761 posts
23838 upvotes
Center of Universe
Tried tested and true...
Security at my workplace has boosted hundreds of vehicles over the years with it.

Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
2088 posts
501 upvotes
Mississauga
good timing, my car had been sitting for 3 weeks due to WFH and on Friday went to start it and it was completely dead. Not even the interior lights came on.
I finally got it started with a boost from another vehicle but battery was still dead after turning it on and off again. I let it trickle charge all day now it seems fine.
I was looking at this which has 1500A for $79 as a good backup in the trunk.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XYN ... S9V19UQSED
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3678 posts
991 upvotes
guessguy wrote: good timing, my car had been sitting for 3 weeks due to WFH and on Friday went to start it and it was completely dead. Not even the interior lights came on.
I finally got it started with a boost from another vehicle but battery was still dead after turning it on and off again. I let it trickle charge all day now it seems fine.
I was looking at this which has 1500A for $79 as a good backup in the trunk.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XYN ... S9V19UQSED
So it seems the one you are looking at is the #1 seller for Jump Starters on Amazon Canada. The one I had posted in the original is the #2. Here are the differences:

1. Similarly priced - FLYLINKTECH is $10 lower in price
2. FLYLINKTECH can only be charged by micro input from a USB cable
3. FLYLINKTECH and GOOLOO sellers are both rated fairly well
4. GOOLOO costs $10 more but not significant in my opinion after seeing how other units do not even work well.
5. GOOLOO can only be charged using an old school port but can be charged at home via a wall plug and in the car via a car charger (cigarette lighter).
6. GOOLOO older model 600A has been shown to start a JEEP without the JEEP's battery and this 800A model is upgraded and another user also shown in the original post shows it working in below freezing temp.

GOOLOO does have higher models that have USB C charging but not the next level higher model has a smaller mAh battery and you need to go 2 levels higher to get a larger battery.

I am still leaning towards the GOOLOO based on the above points. Not sure if #6 is a pro or a con at this point but it would be nice to be able to top up the unit using the cigarette lighter while on a road trip.
Nov 29, 2006
15 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I was/am considering both the Gooloo and the FLYLINKTECH , both companies/products get poor reviews on fakespot, so I am hesitant.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14977 upvotes
Just two words of warning on the Li-Ion type booters...
1. Don't leave them in your car in the summer months as the high temperature will degrade the battery severely.
2. If you're leaving in your car in winter that's fine, but if you need to use it the pack should be warmed up inside first, for best results.

Semi-related note, don't do what that guy did and start/run a modern vehicle without a battery connected. The battery acts as a buffer for the alternator and electrical system and if you remove the battery and try to run the car like that you can fry sensitive electronics in the car which could result in very costly repairs.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
I use a JNC 318 (Jump N Carry), this was available on Amazon 2 years ago which was when I bought it, but it seems the company stopped making this jump starter. I got it for a few reasons, I seen a review done similar to the Project Farm one(sadly it seems the guy stopped doing them) and was impressed by its capabilities, but the big one I liked was it has a pre-heat function. In practice most jump starters should start my FRS no trouble, but this JNC also managed to start up my colleague's Ram Hemi V8.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3678 posts
991 upvotes
Horsey2345 wrote: Got this one for $79 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06X9R ... UTF8&psc=1

Happy so far, used it 2 times within 5 minutes on a completely dead battery from a Jetta gli. No problem, still has all lights green for whatever its worth.
Hey nice. That's the one I posted in the original thread. Can I confirm with you that it can only be charged using the provided power plug (with the round tip) and the accessory charger / cigarette lighter (also with the round tip) that goes into the battery? ie. no USB charging
May 28, 2005
425 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote: I got this one on sale and am really happy with it:

TrekPow G22 1500A
https://www.amazon.ca/ABOX-Starter-Upgr ... 07DGGG3GR/
Good timing on this thread, I had to jump start my car a couple days ago.

I also bought the TrekPow G22 1500A about a year ago. I left the device fully charged in the car back in May last year. So the device sat in the car for close to a year and when the time came a couple days ago to jump start my dead car battery, it still showed about 75% battery and had plenty of power to jump start my car on the 1st try.
Sep 25, 2018
943 posts
1872 upvotes
Have the GOOLOO myself (600A version I think). Started my compact SUV no problem for over a dozen times last winter (got new car battery when it got warmer). I charge every 2-3 months and it's still able to jump start no problem (with the new car battery).
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1492 upvotes
Ontario
Tried about 4 of those no name ones from Amazon on my V8 powered car and none have worked yet to start it. All from guys at work and the shop etc. I should have wrote down some of the names...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2067 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto
Try the Noco GP70....fantastic lithium Ion battery pack.

Check out the many Youtube Video's on this one, i have used on completely drained and dead batteries and never had an issue. Has safety features built in for for when people connect incorrectly, and a bypass switch if needed.

Do NOT get the lower model Noco as it isn't anywhere as robust and i have seen it not work, however the GP70 is a much more robust model and enough power to get 8 cyl engines. You can generally get the Noco at $199 on sale at Canadian Tire, a bit expensive but a fantastic item to have.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Nov 29, 2006
15 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I think I may buy one retail from Canadian Tire. Because of understandable Covid related shipping delays, with Prime the show a delivery date of May 4th.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3678 posts
991 upvotes
S.F.W. wrote: I think I may buy one retail from Canadian Tire. Because of understandable Covid related shipping delays, with Prime the show a delivery date of May 4th.
That is a valid concern with the delayed shipping from Amazon. The only downside from Canadian Tier are that most of the available units are not rated well and they cost more. In fact, just tried to access the CT website and got a message saying they are overwhelmed... check back later. Crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9181 posts
8420 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Tried tested and true...
Security at my workplace has boosted hundreds of vehicles over the years with it.

2nd on this.

I have reservation on those tiny Li-Ion portable ones.

And regardless of what battery you buy, you need to maintain them. So if you are one of those people that charge it up and put it away until needed, it's pointless.

3rd, if you have a constant need for a booster and you are not a mechanic? What kind of shape are you keeping your cars at? I never had to boost any of my cars and my battery has been used to boost almost everyone elses when AMA won't show up for 3-4hrs.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49914 posts
13929 upvotes
ONTARIO
Xtrema wrote: 2nd on this.

I have reservation on those tiny Li-Ion portable ones.

And regardless of what battery you buy, you need to maintain them. So if you are one of those people that charge it up and put it away until needed, it's pointless.

3rd, if you have a constant need for a booster and you are not a mechanic? What kind of shape are you keeping your cars at? I never had to boost any of my cars and my battery has been used to boost almost everyone elses when AMA won't show up for 3-4hrs.
This sounds weird... but i love being a bro to random strangers. Everytime i see someone stranded i offer a boost.
I get so many high 5’s my hand hurts. But thats not allowed now... stay 6 ft away.