• Dec 3rd, 2019 12:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1142 posts
515 upvotes
GTA

Portable HDD dead, recommend where to recover data

So I'm like not tech savvy at all so please bare with me. I bought this: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD Red USB 3.0 Model STDR2000103 back in Aug 2018 and even a case for it since my other portable hd failed on me after dropping it a few many times. This one was never dropped or barely touch. It was just left plugged into my laptop and occasionally used to backup files from my laptop.

Anyway, my laptop has been acting weird for the past half year and wasn't able to install windows updates so I did whole clean install because I don't really do any of the stuff required to keep your computer running fast or is it called formating or partitioning? Well, before I did that, I transferred all of my files onto that Seagate hard drive, everything was fine. After the clean install, I can't seem to be able to recover anything anymore from it. It can open but when I click onto the file/files, the larger sized ones will not respond.

Anyway, so when I try to open the Seagate harddrive, I hear grinding and a few beeps and then it will stop and nothing happens. Is there anyway of recovering this data? I will try it on an imac tomorrow just to see if its my laptop, but so far it hasn't worked on 2 laptops. I am okay in paying a reasonable amount of money. Can anyone recommend a reputable place?

Thank you in advance.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1971 posts
1026 upvotes
GTA
Didi_beee wrote: So I'm like not tech savvy at all so please bare with me. I bought this: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD Red USB 3.0 Model STDR2000103 back in Aug 2018 and even a case for it since my other portable hd failed on me after dropping it a few many times. This one was never dropped or barely touch. It was just left plugged into my laptop and occasionally used to backup files from my laptop.

Anyway, my laptop has been acting weird for the past half year and wasn't able to install windows updates so I did whole clean install because I don't really do any of the stuff required to keep your computer running fast or is it called formating or partitioning? Well, before I did that, I transferred all of my files onto that Seagate hard drive, everything was fine. After the clean install, I can't seem to be able to recover anything anymore from it. It can open but when I click onto the file/files, the larger sized ones will not respond.

Anyway, so when I try to open the Seagate harddrive, I hear grinding and a few beeps and then it will stop and nothing happens. Is there anyway of recovering this data? I will try it on an imac tomorrow just to see if its my laptop, but so far it hasn't worked on 2 laptops. I am okay in paying a reasonable amount of money. Can anyone recommend a reputable place?

Thank you in advance.
I used this firm in the past. ESS Data Recovery. Free evaluation to tell you how much the repair is going to cost. I believe the manager or head rep I spoke to at that location was Jason or Justin, I can't remember now, its been a few years. But they did a good job. I paid to ship it to Markham, got a free evaultion to the damage and cost, repaired and shipped back priority for free.

https://datarecovery.com/about/toronto/
May 29, 2004
442 posts
97 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote: Anyway, so when I try to open the Seagate harddrive, I hear grinding and a few beeps and then it will stop and nothing happens. Is there anyway of recovering this data? I will try it on an imac tomorrow just to see if its my laptop, but so far it hasn't worked on 2 laptops. I am okay in paying a reasonable amount of money. Can anyone recommend a reputable place?
Did you try take out the hdd from the enclosure and plug the hdd to another external enclosure or direct connect to desktop if you have spare one? There 50% chance hdd is ok and the issue is just the enclosure component itself. I encounter this issue more than the hdd. otherwise, you have to do the data recovery as heyyahblah suggested.