Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4826 posts
1490 upvotes
Charlottetown

Porting out.... twice

hi everyone. I'm thinking on switching my data plan to Public Mobile, who have a sale on until Tuesday. Currently i have a talk/text plan with them, and must be a new customer for this sale. I'm thinking i port my current number to Lucky, then sign up for Lucky, then port it back to PM when i activate new account, sound right? it's the details i don't know, will i have time to do that before Wednesday? how long does porting usually take, and what is the minimum i need to put on Lucky, do they have a pay-as-you-go i can just put $25 on? i bought both SIM's today, new PM and a Lucky, wondering how to go about this and if i have time. Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4976 posts
1455 upvotes
does it matter?
townie22 wrote: hi everyone. I'm thinking on switching my data plan to Public Mobile, who have a sale on until Tuesday. Currently i have a talk/text plan with them, and must be a new customer for this sale. I'm thinking i port my current number to Lucky, then sign up for Lucky, then port it back to PM when i activate new account, sound right? it's the details i don't know, will i have time to do that before Wednesday? how long does porting usually take, and what is the minimum i need to put on Lucky, do they have a pay-as-you-go i can just put $25 on? i bought both SIM's today, new PM and a Lucky, wondering how to go about this and if i have time. Thanks.
You should be able to do it imo.
It takes one day for switch. Sometime few hours. The only problem is you have certain time to reply the text. Like one hour? They send you text and if you agree the reply with YES and done.
When I was porting I noticed the text after that time so had to wait till next day. Different carries will have procedure which might me similar but takes time.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2591 posts
1547 upvotes
Calgary
Don't providers usually have a period of time even after you close an account to be considered a "new" customer?
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
You should try and let us know!
townie22 wrote: hi everyone. I'm thinking on switching my data plan to Public Mobile, who have a sale on until Tuesday. Currently i have a talk/text plan with them, and must be a new customer for this sale. I'm thinking i port my current number to Lucky, then sign up for Lucky, then port it back to PM when i activate new account, sound right? it's the details i don't know, will i have time to do that before Wednesday? how long does porting usually take, and what is the minimum i need to put on Lucky, do they have a pay-as-you-go i can just put $25 on? i bought both SIM's today, new PM and a Lucky, wondering how to go about this and if i have time. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21015 posts
10527 upvotes
Oakville
The only thing I'd be concerned about is if there's a time limit before you can port your number back in. I know back in the day, there were scenarios you could run into where you have to wait 30 days before you could port your number back in. Worst case scenario, you could sign up for the PM plan with a new phone number, and if you can't port your real number in from Lucky, you could just forward your calls in the meantime.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4826 posts
1490 upvotes
Charlottetown
Will know soon enough, just finished porting out to Lucky, will try porting back to PM Monday with a new account.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4826 posts
1490 upvotes
Charlottetown
wearysky wrote: The only thing I'd be concerned about is if there's a time limit before you can port your number back in. I know back in the day, there were scenarios you could run into where you have to wait 30 days before you could port your number back in. Worst case scenario, you could sign up for the PM plan with a new phone number, and if you can't port your real number in from Lucky, you could just forward your calls in the meantime.
Good idea, thanks, then at 30 days port the number over. Lucky probably won't have a problem Monday though, i topped up account with $15 they get to keep :)
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21015 posts
10527 upvotes
Oakville
townie22 wrote: Good idea, thanks, then at 30 days port the number over. Lucky probably won't have a problem Monday though, i topped up account with $15 they get to keep :)
I think the issue was less to do with the carrier you're porting out from, and more to do with the one you're porting back into. I can't remember which carrier it was (maybe Koodo?), but there was at least one where they had issues with you porting back in too soon, because technically your number wasn't out of their system yet, and it barfed. But yeah, it's not like it matters when you port out of Lucky, they're gonna keep your money any way since it's prepaid. So it's mostly just a convenience thing at that point.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4826 posts
1490 upvotes
Charlottetown
DeJesus wrote: You should try and let us know!
It worked, sorry, i forgot to post back earlier.